Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Roe v Wade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The genie is long out of the bottle where twitter (and social media in general) is concerned. If twitter was discontinued in the morning, something else would take its place.
    I agree. But I also, probably a bit optimistically, feel that society will course correct at some point and begin to, at least, mandate some ethical walls or restrictions on what is acceptable in the name of health and well-being. Or due to an event that rationalizes a cultural swing back towards individual privacy and protection of information. Likely not in our lifetime but as P-Stu touched on for a different reason earlier, I think as X-ers and Millenials mostly here, we are raising a couple of generations that will be dealing with massive psychological health issues as a direct result of social media and online habits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The genie is long out of the bottle where twitter (and social media in general) is concerned. If twitter was discontinued in the morning, something else would take its place.
    I feel like I shouldn't have to explain that that was not a serious suggestion.

Social media is certainly not finished developing, but I think it's a mistake to assume it will inevitably evolve into something harmless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    I think your last comment is in response to me?

I wasn’t trying to say that it would inevitably evolve into something harmless and definitely not in an organic way if that is what you meant using the word inevitably.

However, if you agree with the basic premise that SM and bad online habits do cause harm to the individual and further agree that we innately, individually and collectively as a species aim to avoid harm, I think that it is fair to predict that SM will become far more regulated or restricted to lessen the harmful effects. Or that these companies will be required to avoid unethical practices that compound the harmful effects and subject to penalty if they don’t. The beginnings of a swing that way are visible to some degree but it hasn’t yet stuck. As I said above, I think it would take a pretty long time to shift completely - most probably because we are addicted - and likely need to be be based on some sort of triggering incident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I think our capacity to regulate it lags very far behind the capacity of various state and private groups to weaponize it. You can fine facebook (for example) all you like, but I think the only way to really eliminate the harm it can be put to is to shutter it, and I don't see that happening.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I didn't say it was ok to pile onto a footballer over anything , people who do that on social media are sad losers.
    My point was that when it happens (and it does) and the footballers start complaining that it is affecting their mental health it is in my opinion simply BS and an attempt to change the narrative from whatever mistake they made to a new narrative which is "Poor me look at my anguish"
    I think it's pretty absurd to consider that you have any kind of position to determine whether people who are complete strangers to you have real mental health problems or not.

It reminds me of the 'sure what do they have to be depressed about' response to somebody with an apparently successful life revealing they suffer from depression.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    I just read that Dave Chappelle's stand-up show in Minnesota got cancelled by the booking location due to backlash about his jokes about transgenderism. What do folks think? Are transgender jokes off limits?

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-62249771

My perspective is best summed up by a Ricky Gervais quote...

I see offence as the collateral damage of free speech. I hate the thought of a person's ideas being modified or even hushed because someone somewhere might not like to hear them. Outside actually breaking the law or causing someone physical harm, 'hurting someone's feelings' is almost impossible to objectively quantify.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/20...ans-statements

Quidditch changed its name because of Trans comments from JK Rowling,I mean christ almighty…
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    That's quite funny, really. I'm picturing the About page on their site:

"The sport of quadball was invented by She Who Must Not Be Named in 1997..."

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    That's quite funny, really. I'm picturing the About page on their site:

"The sport of quadball was invented by Xe Who Must Not Be Named in 1997..."
    fixed that for you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/...-pride-jersey/

You can't do anything these days without upsetting someone!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/...-pride-jersey/

You can't do anything these days without upsetting someone!
    Politics should be kept out of sport.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    I think that's a fairly inevitable outcome though. The only named objector in the piece (I think) is Haneen Zreika, who's Muslim; Islam is (broadly speaking, cos it's hard to generalise about 1.3bn people) a fairly homophobic culture and although it's not explicitly stated here, I think you can certainly take it that that's the objection here. I think there was a Seventh-Day Adventist player who had a problem with it as well previously? Similar idea.

So where do we draw the line when minority (often imported) cultures and our own disagree like here? Should we be inclusive of homophobic cultures or should we try to re-educate them? It's an issue that's not really discussed (probably because it's easier to ignore it for now), but I think it's only going to become more relevant in the coming years as these cultures become more prominent here (which I don't think is a good idea really, but that's a different thread)

I also think there's no real need for a rugby team to be releasing a one-off pride jersey, but it does seem that's a bandwagon that everyone wants on these days. I'd much rather see them promoting sustainability by not making one-off microfabric jerseys (or changing their kit every year, or needless third-choice kits), but I guess there's no money in that.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 26/07/2022 at 11:27 AM.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think that's a fairly inevitable outcome though.
    Maybe, maybe not. I suppose I was just drawing a parallel between people getting upset about transgender jokes and people getting upset at a pride jersey. Where do you stop ? Should you be able to joke about anything? Should you be able for your jersey make a statement about everything? It seems what's good for goose isn't good for the gander with some people.

Should we be inclusive of homophobic cultures or should we try to re-educate them?
    I'm not sure Islamic culture is any more or less homophobic than Christian culture? Both are certainly homophobic religions. Should we try and be inclusive of Israel Folau (Christian) who for example thinks gay people are going to burn in hell? I'd be more inclined to let him think whatever he likes - but keep it to yourself etc. Surely that has to be the overriding message.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I think that's a fairly inevitable outcome though. The only named objector in the piece (I think) is Haneen Zreika, who's Muslim; Islam is (broadly speaking, cos it's hard to generalise about 1.3bn people) a fairly homophobic culture and although it's not explicitly stated here, I think you can certainly take it that that's the objection here.
    Haneen Zreika was a different case. The players in this case are Josh Aloiai, Jason Saab, Christian Tuipulotu, Josh Schuster, Haumole Olakau’atu, Tolu Koula and Toafofoa Sipley. We're looking at deeply Christian pacific islanders (or descended from them) for the most part.
    Last edited by osarusan; 26/07/2022 at 9:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I suppose I was just drawing a parallel between people getting upset about transgender jokes and people getting upset at a pride jersey. Where do you stop ? Should you be able to joke about anything?
    No, it's a fair point. Should you be able to joke about anything? Arguably so. If it's not funny, it's not funny. I'd be wary about things you can't make fun of though. Father Ted was important in that regard for example.

Islamic culture is a lot more homophobic than Christian culture, yep. Certainly now, given the huge fall-off in Christian observance and even relevance. Almost all countries where homosexuality is criminalised are Muslim countries, and almost all Muslim countries still have it criminalised. It's a couple of hundred years since someone was executed for homosexual acts in Europe, but it's still a death penalty in many Muslim countries. Obviously there's different degrees (if that's the right word) of Christianity like there's different degrees of Islam. The Christian fundamentalists tend not to be able to dictate laws as easily as the Islamic ones though. (Which arguably brings us right back on topic!)

I'd be wary of telling Folau (who is the guy I was thinking of alright) to keep his thoughts to himself though. I'd rather he felt free to express them and was criticised for them. Who gets to decide what views are reasonable to express and what views aren't?
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 26/07/2022 at 9:42 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Here's an update from a few days ago in American Faith https://americanfaith.com/ca-bill-al...enate-ab-2223/

From a few months ago, rather
    Last edited by dahamsta; 14/09/2022 at 9:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    "Our apologies.
    We can't find the page you're looking for."

That's probably for the best given your earlier contributions if I'm quite honest

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Here's an update from a few days ago in American Faith https://americanfaith.com/ca-bill-al...enate-ab-2223/

Founder
    Phil Hotsenpiller
    Phil Hotsenpiller is the Founder and President of American Faith and the Senior Pastor of Influence Church. He is a Biblical Prophecy Expert, Cultural Thought Leader, and a Passionate Patriot.
    A cultural thought leader...

Inevitably, the people who rebel against mainstream medis seek their news from the most f**ked up sources.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    @mark12345 don't post that garbage on Foot.ie again. You should be ashamed of your inability to separate facts and science from rhetoric and nonsense.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456