Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 17th/18th June

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    tbh I think Derry supporters should look at some of the players b4 the ref in terms of blame, poor finishing and in second half some very poor play. Not knocking Derry, just my observations as Drogs were very under strength and I was expecting a tough night.
    That was in the first bit of my post - Several games we've held onto a point by the skin of our teeth by our own mistakes, Referee gave us nothing though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Is Higgins starting to come under some pressure for his job? The last win was at the end of April, only 4 points from 21 since then. St. Pats are only 3 points behind for the automatic European place. UCD next, which must be a relief for Higgins. Still, pressure must be on....Drop points there and then in the game away to Bohs on July 1st, Derry could drop to 5th. Crazy run of form for Derry. Bohs have been pretty active in the summer window already too and seemed to have strengthened. With how things are going, it might be more possible for Bohs to catch Derry than St. Pats.

----
    Great result for Drogheda. Didn't realise how far back Harps were from them, and it is hard to see Harps getting anyway close to 30 points by the end of the season. If Drogheda can pick up 9 or so more points by the end of the year, they will be pretty comfortably safe. Two wins and a couple of draws should do.

Funny league, only one win behind Shels now too. With all the movement in the winter, Drogheda must be very happy. Tougher run of games coming up though.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    UCD next, which must be a relief for Higgins. Still, pressure must be on....
    Going to jinx myself here - especially as Derry beat us quite handily in the Bowl earlier in the season - but we've drawn more than we've lost at home this season. On Derry's form (and we've more points than them from the last seven games) it's a definite banana skin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Is Higgins starting to come under some pressure for his job? The last win was at the end of April, only 4 points from 21 since then. St. Pats are only 3 points behind for the automatic European place. UCD next, which must be a relief for Higgins. Still, pressure must be on....Drop points there and then in the game away to Bohs on July 1st, Derry could drop to 5th. Crazy run of form for Derry. Bohs have been pretty active in the summer window already too and seemed to have strengthened. With how things are going, it might be more possible for Bohs to catch Derry than St. Pats.

----
    Great result for Drogheda. Didn't realise how far back Harps were from them, and it is hard to see Harps getting anyway close to 30 points by the end of the season. If Drogheda can pick up 9 or so more points by the end of the year, they will be pretty comfortably safe. Two wins and a couple of draws should do.

Funny league, only one win behind Shels now too. With all the movement in the winter, Drogheda must be very happy. Tougher run of games coming up though.
    Given ourselves to much to do alright,not finishing bottom is our only realistic aim and UCD will fancy their chances of getting the play off….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I've just spotted Bray tweeting about awarding one of their players with a "as good as new" phone for being the man of the match in a 5-1 loss at home. That's hilarious.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Looking at Derry's GD - if it wasnt for the 7 against UCD and even the 4 v St Pats, it indicates a chronic shortage of goals in the side which you wouldnt have expected with the players they have. But is the main issue that they are not scoring very much - needs a change to formation, philosophy, another striker in july??
    They've got the two top scorers in the league though (Patching and McGonigle)

Maybe the problem is a lack of goals from other positions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    patching is a bit of a wonder goal merchant (not a bad thing) but relying on him heavily isnt the best policy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Michael Duffy barely playing for them is probably a big reason why they’ve fell off,best player in the league over the last few seasons …..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Duffy got injured in his debut game I think. They are missing Eoin Toal, Boyce, and Harkin. That enough for a club to go from best team in the league- to worst?

I never seen a droppoff in form like it before. I dont think anybody thought they were over achiveing in the first round of games. They really have to win vs UCD... It wont be an easy game either, especially because their last two games that they didnt win were home games to second and third last.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    The game was won by a piece of quality by Macari- aside from that nothing between the teams- anyway enjoy the moment ; it’s results/night like that we all live for
    Fair play CJ, pity we won't have Macari for much longer, can absolutely understand why he and Stoke want him back, far higher standard and he should do very well in his career, good luck to him.

Agreed on the game, quite tight, but obviously delighted with the win, Rovers could have gone 11 clear with a win.

Since fans have been back in Oriel from late Sept or so, that's an unbelievable home record, only 1 defeat (Derry - final game), apart from 2 draws this season (Derry and Rovers) every other game has been a win !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Jaysus - Dundalk beating Rovers. How they're doing so well I've no idea. Rovers down to ten too

And Bray 4-1 down at home to Galway. The town may burn tonight.

Drogheda (who've just lost their two (?) best players whose loans have ended) have equalised in Derry, who are evidently going to do ****e in Europe

Edit - Bray 5-1 down now
    You are possibly basing your opinion on the 2-2 draw at the Bowl earlier in the season, which was a dreadful display by us, the two other poor games were losing 1-0 to Drogs away and a lame effort also losing 1-0 away in Tallaght, apart from that most other performances have been very good, home record is superb too.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Dundalk look a proper side now. No real surprise I suppose. So much talent and experience in the team. And a solid goalkeeper makes a world of a difference. Comparing the two 11s tonight there wasn't much in them and we didn't use our bench to any great effect. Not sure what was going on there. Leaving Lyons on the bench when Finn was on a yellow and fading was a bit bizarre. I assume Bradley was involved in the decisions even without being there but I was struggling to make sense of them.
    That's Shepperd's 8th clean sheet already in the league, his confidence is flowing right throughout the team and especially the back 4. Glad we have him signed perm.

Abibi was the biggest joke of a GK signing I have ever seen at PD level in this country, still convinced he never played pro football before as a GK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    It's that and the Drogheda game (which I saw), but also a general impression of the squad. It's not great. Yes, there's some very good players (Hoban, Benson, etc) but there's no strength in depth and there's a few players whose best days are behind them (McMillan, Gartland). Ward and Doyle as pre-season signings wouldn't scream out "title challengers" either.

OK, the keeper problem has been sorted and that's a big deal. O'Donnell is clearly a decent manager. And looking at soccerway, and it seems 15 players have played 14 times or more this season (it's 13 for Rovers and Derry, and 9 for UCD) so maybe ye've avoided injuries to and that helps with consistency.

But I still don't think it's a squad that would have been challenging for the title in previous years. There's a bit of a vacuum at the top with Derry, Sligo, Pat's and Bohs all having disappointing seasons and I guess someone has to be second. And with others now off on European seasons, there seems no reason ye can't consolidate that spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    It's good that Dundalk won last night as otherwise the title race would be more or less over. Shamrock Rovers should still win it with squad they have but at least the title race is alive for now. Derry City's woeful form over past 2 months means they are too far off the pace and the Derry owner must be questioning does he have the right man in charge for all the investment they put in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    No injuries is a big thing. Esp to Hoban.

But really, the back 5 is of league winning quality and beyond (...and it might be broken up mid-season..). Before this run, we still werent losing games. Only 2 losses this year. It is such a bedrock for a consistant team

Doyle is turning into a gem of player. Ward has had some cracking moments too. Garts and McMillian are not being asked to do much, but can still be counted on. There is something very Kenny-esque at Dundalk now, it is a team that picks itself, and everybody plays a role and is happy with it. Such a buzz about the place, and there has been since the first game. Another big thing is the players themselves have improved under O'Donnell than under Perth. Leahy, Sloggett and Dan Kelly were all stagnant in development. All have pushed on this year.

I said it at the start of the season, the squad had a very good spine. Connolly- Boyle, Sloggett- Benson, Hoban.... Experience and quality in the middle of the park also allows for a consistant run. Which is a big thing in this league (every teams story nearly changes week in- week out depending on the weekly result). I dont think the performances have been super high, but if you dont concede you only need to score once.

I still think Dundalk can get dragged into the middle pack, and suddenly be dropping points every other game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    It's that and the Drogheda game (which I saw), but also a general impression of the squad. It's not great. Yes, there's some very good players (Hoban, Benson, etc) but there's no strength in depth and there's a few players whose best days are behind them (McMillan, Gartland). Ward and Doyle as pre-season signings wouldn't scream out "title challengers" either.

OK, the keeper problem has been sorted and that's a big deal. O'Donnell is clearly a decent manager. And looking at soccerway, and it seems 15 players have played 14 times or more this season (it's 13 for Rovers and Derry, and 9 for UCD) so maybe ye've avoided injuries to and that helps with consistency.

But I still don't think it's a squad that would have been challenging for the title in previous years. There's a bit of a vacuum at the top with Derry, Sligo, Pat's and Bohs all having disappointing seasons and I guess someone has to be second. And with others now off on European seasons, there seems no reason ye can't consolidate that spot.
    Never expected and still don't see Dundalk as title challengers, Europe still was and is the target, that's looking good now. The best signing was SOD, followed by Benson, Connolly and Shepherd, other players have been revitalised like Hoban, Boyle and Kelly, Macari has been very good, pity he will prob go back to Stoke, and Bone has played a great part too, as has Ward.

Would agree on McMillan, finished, Gartland prob not far off too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    That's Shepperd's 8th clean sheet already in the league, his confidence is flowing right throughout the team and especially the back 4. Glad we have him signed perm.

Abibi was the biggest joke of a GK signing I have ever seen at PD level in this country, still convinced he never played pro football before as a GK.
    I didn't know this. That's an unreal signing to be fair. Just reading up on him now. Brentford's u23 player of the season.

Abibi was hilarious. I thought you had unearthed a gem after the President's Cup....
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    They've got the two top scorers in the league though (Patching and McGonigle)

Maybe the problem is a lack of goals from other positions?
    Yeah that was I was getting at, they were expected to be almost free scoring with one of the best strikers available, were for a spell and still 2 of their players got topping the goal scoring charts but bar the 2 outlier like games v ucd and possibly St Pats their GD would be single digits. So nobody else chipping in, system not set up to be a scoring side and relying on their striker to just make it happen on his own. If they were a score and shut up shop, call in the ballboys, types side then grand. Whatever it is its time to go back to basics and try seek the form of the 1st round. I dunno, just trying to figure out what the difference is that happened so quickly and noted that their GD would be poor bar the UCD hammering. Im sure they will turn a corner but its getting on a bit in the easo now to be called the old blip. Higgins will be backed but if torn apart by Riga the supporters will turn. The owner will be brave about it imo and stick with the agreed pathway.

Out of interest, was their any targets publicly stated by DCFC, eg challenge for the title reach QR2 of the ECL etc. It was more LoI followers probably, that championed their potential to catch SRFC, myself included and up 'til April, with a much heavier schedule in prospect for Rovers after the break maybe to October/November, I thought that opinion was justifiable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I didn't know this. That's an unreal signing to be fair. Just reading up on him now. Brentford's u23 player of the season.

Abibi was hilarious. I thought you had unearthed a gem after the President's Cup....
    I know players have to be diplomatic but Sheppard is thoroughly enjoying his football, and regularly comments on loving living in the area, finding hidden gems of coffee shops and the like. I think this is playing its part in good form as he just seem settled and content. Likeable chap who always has time for young supporters when around the town. He is almost as close to home as he was in West London anyway. What could have been a fly in the ointment and disrupted him would have been out of sight out of mind for Wales but instead he has established himself as first choice with Wales u21s. It all contributes to his performances and with having very experience lads just in front of him every game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Sligo 2-0 Harps after 8 mins!
    Drogheda United in this together

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast