Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 17th/18th June

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Dundalk look a proper side now. No real surprise I suppose. So much talent and experience in the team. And a solid goalkeeper makes a world of a difference. Comparing the two 11s tonight there wasn't much in them and we didn't use our bench to any great effect. Not sure what was going on there. Leaving Lyons on the bench when Finn was on a yellow and fading was a bit bizarre. I assume Bradley was involved in the decisions even without being there but I was struggling to make sense of them.
    Maybe that is what played in to our hands!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Yeah true, and didnt start any of our strikers that night and Gartland played a full 90 for the first time in 7 or 8 months, it was 1 nil so maybe not as bad as v drogs or ucd. We had to rotate and as much as I hated it we gave up 3 points to gain more - I cant argue with how O'Donnell has managed the load on the small squad considering the run of form since.

So Rovers were muck but deserved a draw? just so vastly superior that a muck performance was equal to opposition and worthy of a point - your standards may be slipping Calcio. St Pats were worth a draw before the break as they battered us looking for the equaliser. Rovers could have gotten a point tonight but overall Dundalk were better and hence got the 3 points deservedly. I cant recall much more than a few half chances though McCabe should have done better with his chance. I was genuinely surprised at how little we needed to scramble to keep Rovers at bay.
    What I said was that by our standards we were muck -so despite that over the 90 mins we were worth a draw , the two statements are compatible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    What I said was that by our standards we were muck -so despite that over the 90 mins we were worth a draw , the two statements are compatible
    Thats fine, I just disagree! It was a muck performance by Rovers standards and a muck performance in general, hence the game was lost or won depending on the perspective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Thats fine, I just disagree! It was a muck performance by Rovers standards and a muck performance in general, hence the game was lost or won depending on the perspective.
    The game was won by a piece of quality by Macari- aside from that nothing between the teams- anyway enjoy the moment ; it’s results/night like that we all live for

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Jaysus - Dundalk beating Rovers. How they're doing so well I've no idea.
    You should watch us more and you'd understand.

Delighted with that. Rovers very poor, if the quick ball over the top to Mandroiu doesn't work then they are out of ideas and with the players they have is pretty unbelievable. Lucky they got a gimme in Europe or they could have been in trouble.

We are very solid which is the foundation of good teams, can't remember Sheps having a save to make. Brilliant goal as well. We'll never challenge but always nice to beat Rovers and 3 points closer to Europe.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    You should watch us more and you'd understand.

Delighted with that. Rovers very poor, if the quick ball over the top to Mandroiu doesn't work then they are out of ideas and with the players they have is pretty unbelievable. Lucky they got a gimme in Europe or they could have been in trouble.

We are very solid which is the foundation of good teams, can't remember Sheps having a save to make. Brilliant goal as well. We'll never challenge but always nice to beat Rovers and 3 points closer to Europe.
    Burke is our (joint) top scorer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Looking at Derry's GD - if it wasnt for the 7 against UCD and even the 4 v St Pats, it indicates a chronic shortage of goals in the side which you wouldnt have expected with the players they have. They are not closing out games if in front or have picked up a number of last gasp points at panic stations. But is the main issue that they are not scoring very much - needs a change to formation, philosophy, another striker in july?? I also think Rovers seem to plod through periods in the league, even if its enough to win the league, with not having a prolific striker who is not injury prone, then mediocre performance could still be wins,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Burke is our (joint) top scorer.
    OK but Rovers have played the same way each time we've played, worked in Tallaght but failed miserably tonight. If I remember correctly Burke didn't play/start in either of the two previous games? Was he injured?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    OK but Rovers have played the same way each time we've played, worked in Tallaght but failed miserably tonight. If I remember correctly Burke didn't play/start in either of the two previous games? Was he injured?
    Yeah fair enough although I thought Gaffney had our better chances tonight. We were very limited in ideas though and should have come up with something better. Makes it even stranger than Lyons wasnt sprung as he offers a better outlet going forward than Finn or Kavanagh.

Burke is carrying a knock. Very worrying to have himself and Jack not up to speed with Europe around the corner.

Enjoy your night anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Great win for Dundalk tonight and overall we probably deserved it.
    If Rovers want to do anything in Europe they’re going to have to up it a few notches. I know they’d a couple missing tonight but the game plan seemed to be just to hit it long and try and outpace our centre halves.
    For us we’re keeping the gap to Pats and we’ve increased the gap to Derry so the main goal of European qualification is well on track.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Yeah fair enough although I thought Gaffney had our better chances tonight. We were very limited in ideas though and should have come up with something better. Makes it even stranger than Lyons wasnt sprung as he offers a better outlet going forward than Finn or Kavanagh.

Burke is carrying a knock. Very worrying to have himself and Jack not up to speed with Europe around the corner.

Enjoy your night anyway.
    Thought Gaffney was your best player, a real handful.

Yeah was surprised Lyons was on the bench, don't see what Finn offers anymore and then bringing on McCann was baffling. Even Gannon offers more IMO

It's a blip on Rovers inevitable title win, but nice to inflict it and see how far this team has come in a short time

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Thought Gaffney was your best player, a real handful.

Yeah was surprised Lyons was on the bench, don't see what Finn offers anymore and then bringing on McCann was baffling. Even Gannon offers more IMO

It's a blip on Rovers inevitable title win, but nice to inflict it and see how far this team has come in a short time

It's a funny one. The players have always been there for you. There's just been no structure for them to shine in. Some of the Dundalk starting 11 would walk into ours at the moment.

Wouldn't necessarily agree on Finn there in a general sense as he is more than solid and has put in some really inspiring performances but certainly tonight I think he was the wrong option or at least should have been whipped off before he was sent off. I think Lyons would have asked more questions but maybe he picked up a knock with the 21s that we don't know about.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Rovers were so poor. Offered next to none . Deserved to lose. Second half, by far the worse team. They would not have scored even if we were playing until now (amd whenever you are reading this).

Once Dundalk scored, all the fight was out of Rovers. Never really looked like they were threatening after.

Now thats there is actual pressure on Rovers, it will be intresting to see how they respond. Could have put away the league tonight against an over performing team, but failed to do so.

Bradley should have cashed in. Goodluck versus Hibernians.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    There's not even the beginnings of a hint of pressure on Rovers but carry on I guess.
    Enjoy watching other LOI teams take the place in Europe that the most expensive LOI team ever assembled couldn't achieve last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    How long is Richie Towells contract? Might be embrassing to be finessed by the Americans. Glad the Bazunu money is going to good use. Btw... How many 30 year olds played tonight?

Rovers could have put away the league tonight against a team that only started signing contracts in December. Dundalk is still only battling for Europe, but , still Rovers looked like a team with zero appetite. Must be frustrating.

Btw , what a club which so much pride to bring on Aaron Greene... I wonder what club he played at in 2016.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Thought it was a shocking game in Richmond. Will take the 3 points and run but we're in desperate need of one or two in midfield to go with Forrester, because we're not capable of controlling a game otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Dropping 6 points from 9 brings some pressure especially when it lets a team get on the coattails, a team that is not expected to be there while rebuilding. The mediocrity of domestic performances bring pressure to the CLQR1 as an essential game to win. There has been some dissent among the Rovers support on Bradley this season albeit he is secure in his job. When top of the league and reigning champions every one wants to have a go. Its all normal football stuff but no hint of pressure on Rovers is either a fallacy or a worry, If they dont put themselves under pressure to attain the highest level possible then there is something very wrong. Im sure we will all watch the leagues progress in Europe with interest. Its novel being on the sidelines, but PC maybe from your experiences around Dundalk getting to group stages could enlighten us about how it felt to watch others after Rovers were out? Its generous of you to call us the most expensive ever LOI team last year - Im not sure team is the right word!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Rovers were so poor. Offered next to none . Deserved to lose. Second half, by far the worse team. They would not have scored even if we were playing until now (amd whenever you are reading this).

Once Dundalk scored, all the fight was out of Rovers. Never really looked like they were threatening after.

Now thats there is actual pressure on Rovers, it will be intresting to see how they respond. Could have put away the league tonight against an over performing team, but failed to do so.

Bradley should have cashed in. Goodluck versus Hibernians.
    😅 You'd swear it was backs to the wall reading this. It was a scrappy game on the worst pitch in Ireland with very few clear cut chances that Dundalk just about edged. Fair play and all but if O'Neill scores his chance before Benson I think you're drinking a different tune.

Enjoy your cornflakes in the morning all the same. Good to have Dundalk somewhat back together. It was getting a bit sad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    😅 You'd swear it was backs to the wall reading this. It was a scrappy game on the worst pitch in Ireland with very few clear cut chances that Dundalk just about edged. Fair play and all but if O'Neill scores his chance before Benson I think you're drinking a different tune.

Enjoy your cornflakes in the morning all the same. Good to have Dundalk somewhat back together. It was getting a bit sad.
    Crunchy nut cornflakes I bet he'll have 😉😜

Dundalk were much, much better than you suggest.
    For a side only pulled together over last few months we matched and bettered yee all in all positions last night.yous looked jaded while we looked like a with a team with a bit of positive creativity and most likely winners.
    Distractions like "sh*t pitch" push us on.
    We'll finish 3rd but we'll annoy the feck out of a lot of people while we go about it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Crunchy nut cornflakes I bet he'll have ����

Dundalk were much, much better than you suggest.
    For a side only pulled together over last few months we matched and bettered yee all in all positions last night.yous looked jaded while we looked like a with a team with a bit of positive creativity and most likely winners.
    Distractions like "sh*t pitch" push us on.
    We'll finish 3rd but we'll annoy the feck out of a lot of people while we go about it.
    Ah yeah not belittling dundalks progress at all but to say you're a side pulled together over the last few months is a bit rich. That's a very familiar Dundalk side. It takes something to do a job on us even without jack and Burke although I wouldn't say you bettered us in all positions. If you had we wouldn't have been regretting chances missed. You were still worthy of the win all the same so enjoy those crunchy nuts. It always seems like your team played better when they play well against the best.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 18/06/2022 at 4:58 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast