Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukraine V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 14th June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    How does Peter Collins think we're still in the running for nation's league?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Tempo + moral courage = pride restored in the orange away jersey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    That was a really good performance. Probably deserved the win.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Finished strong. Probably could have nicked it. Overall that’s another good building block. I said I though he’d need 4 points to save the job again and I think he’s done that. Apart from the goal I though the back 3 were all excellent. Knight and Molumby ran themselves into the ground. Wing backs got exposed once or twice but they were always going to be weak points. Without Obafemi we lacked a cutting edge although at least we created a variety of chances including a number of shots from range.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Reasonable result against a tired Ukrainian team. Promising first half. Poor second half. Question marks remain firmly over Kenny. Hopefully Browne at RWB and McClean as a stop gap measure will cease to be during the September window as the talent continues to come through.

Kelleher did ok (remains 3rd choice for me until he starts playing senior club football), O’Shea is classy, Lenihan a real solid option, Collins is going to be world class (aspirational centre back line is Collins, Omobamidele, O’Shea come September), Festy should have replaced Browne at half time, hopefully Molumby will have a strong preseason with WBA he could be a longer term option, Cullen was solid, Parrott and Knight continue to impress - hopefully they will secure good moves in the coming weeks, Hogan not up to much and should not make squad once we are back to full strength and more talent comes through

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    Very good performance, a mental slip at the start of the 2nd half aside. Finished really strong and probably should've won it. Cant remeber Kelleher having a whole lot to do in the 2nd half?

Role on September.
    Very good performance. Squad threadbare obviously hogan and ogbene nowhere near our best 11 when or if everyone fit. Need a left back solution and as good as browne has been his positional sense not good and he doesn't obviously have the pace to recover like maybe ogbene or festy would. Great efforts from Cullen. Thought Jeff did very well and lifted things when he came on and really looked for that killer pass.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    [QUOTE Kelleher did ok (remains 3rd choice for me until he starts playing senior club football), [/QUOTE]

Harsh. He actually put in a faultless performance. What do you expect him to do, score?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Reasonable result against a tired Ukrainian team. Promising first half. Poor second half. Question marks remain firmly over Kenny. Hopefully Browne at RWB and McClean as a stop gap measure will cease to be during the September window as the talent continues to come through.

Kelleher did ok (remains 3rd choice for me until he starts playing senior club football), O’Shea is classy, Lenihan a real solid option, Collins is going to be world class (aspirational centre back line is Collins, Omobamidele, O’Shea come September), Festy should have replaced Browne at half time, hopefully Molumby will have a strong preseason with WBA he could be a longer term option, Cullen was solid, Parrott and Knight continue to impress - hopefully they will secure good moves in the coming weeks, Hogan not up to much and should not make squad once we are back to full strength and more talent comes through
    What more could kelleher have done? No errors which even when bazunu has played well he has fumbled an effort or mistimed something or raced out of goal at the wrong time . It would take alot more than 10 million to buy kelleher this summer.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    We will be kicking ourselves for that Armenia result. Good effort this week.

12. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,263 Posts
    That was quite enjoyable overall. A good result; thought Ukraine were slightly the more dangerous up front but not a huge amount in it and certainly Kelleher had little to do in the second half. We were pressing towards the end and it never felt like hanging on in Portugal. Not entirely sure how Kenny has gone from the shambles of the first two games to the promotion standard stuff of the last two. Hopefully he'll have learned from it and can carry it into September, because to go back to rock bottom again would be slightly mental after this.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Check out kennys reaction when the horn goes off during his interview with TOD!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    [QUOTE Kelleher did ok (remains 3rd choice for me until he starts playing senior club football),
    Harsh. He actually put in a faultless performance. What do you expect him to do, score?[/QUOTE]

How is it harsh? He did solid. Made an expected save, and distribution pretty good. Dealt with everything put his way, but had nothing to do in the second half. So yes he did ok, what superlative are you expecting?

He remains 3rd choice for me, again how is this harsh? This isn’t an established keeper with 300 plus senior club appearances. He has minimal club experience and my strong preference is with keepers with more club experience in Bazunu and Travers, until we actually see Kelleher play senior football consistently. He showed a really poor error of judgement in last game and has looked unconvincing dealing with crosses in prior games…something no amount of training can prepare you for, you need to rough and tumble of senior football to gain those nuances.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Collins looks top class. Calm and assured at the back. We should have won that game tonight. Ukraine were done, they looked wrecked. 4 points from these 4 games is a very poor return. It's clear that we have much better players than many were claiming. We need to get a manager in charge who can set them up to win games like tonight and perform better in tournaments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,263 Posts
    He showed a really poor error of judgement in last game and has looked unconvincing dealing with crosses
    Against Scotland? No he didn't?

Or do you mean the Ukraine goal at home last week? Damien Delaney analysed that on VM and said it there was little enough Kelleher could do. As a centre-back, he blamed the defenders.

I thought Kelleher has looked decent enough under crosses to be honest.

Granted he didn't have a massive amount to do in the four games and there was very little he could do about any of the goals.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Against Scotland? No he didn't?

Or do you mean the Ukraine goal at home last week? Damien Delaney analysed that on VM and said it there was little enough Kelleher could do. As a centre-back, he blamed the defenders.

I thought Kelleher has looked decent enough under crosses to be honest.

Granted he didn't have a massive amount to do in the four games and there was very little he could do about any of the goals.
    I meant the cross vs Ukraine. If a Douglas man says that the Blackrock man wasn’t at fault, and in fact it was a Kerryman and a Derry man at fault instead…that’s good enough for me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,263 Posts
    I'm not entirely sure if the last part means you're agreeing with Delaney or not, but I thought it was a detailed analysis from a former Premier League footballer who even showed Duffy's immediate reaction was to blame Hendrick (I think it was), so while you can argue Kelleher was at fault, that should probably start with challenging the points Delaney made in that clip.

The suggestion Kelleher should be behind the two players playing lower-league football has some merit, but I think Kelleher has been quite competent and composed over the four games.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts

Why were the Ukrainians "tired".. like why emphasise that in your first line?

Apparently we played their "B" team last week.. and half those players were also rested on Saturday

Like, were they more tired than Josh Cullen? Or Nathan Collins?

Or was this our "B" team, seeing as we were missing Bazunu, Coleman, Egan, Duffy, Doherty, Obafemi.. all likely starters if available?

Why not give the team credit, for those who were there and did play?

Getting a draw away to Ukraine was probably the height of our expectations two weeks ago, and they delivered

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Collins looks top class. Calm and assured at the back. We should have won that game tonight. Ukraine were done, they looked wrecked. 4 points from these 4 games is a very poor return. It's clear that we have much better players than many were claiming. We need to get a manager in charge who can set them up to win games like tonight and perform better in tournaments.

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I would not agree with Damien’s assessment. Just pointing out Damien is from the same neck of the woods as Caoimhin, which may have biased him, and then uses the “I was a defender card” to strengthen his argument that the centre backs should have dealt with it.

The fact of the matter is, it was a great cross. The awkward one goalies dread. But he should still have gotten across to push it out for a corner… for me he was too stagnant waiting for someone to get a touch, he should have saved it. But yes it was a v tricky cross, and we’ve all seen great goalies been caught out in similar situations.

Contrary to what some may think, I actually want Caoimhin to succeed more so than Travers or Bazunu, from a purely selfish personal standpoint. I have known his family for years and he comes from great stock. I just really want to push him to take control of his career and demand first team football, a la Bazunu. But, I still firmly believe he is behind Travers and Bazunu until he gets consistent senior club experience
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 14/06/2022 at 9:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,263 Posts
    Ok, but he's a defender blaming defenders too.

He's shown where the defenders didn't do the job (including two of them falling over each other). He's shown Duffy reacting not to Kelleher, but to Hendrick. I think it's a very detailed and solid analysis.

Anyway, it's going off topic here, so I'll let it be

27. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast