Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Lithuania - Tuesday, 29th March 2022 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts

Republic of Ireland V Lithuania - Tuesday, 29th March 2022 - Friendly

Thread for the friendly tomorrow night, Belgium discussion to continue in its own thread
    Lithuania beat San Marino 2-1 on Friday night, with the opening goal below coming from debut striker Augustinas Klimavičius

nice finish from San Marino for their goal too
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    Lithuania must be a poor side based on their results. I wouldn't expect too much rotation, 3 or 4 players maybe - Coleman, McClean, Duffy to drop to the bench. It's important to keep momentum going.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Eloratings site has them marginally better than Azerbaijan and a bit worse than Luxembourg.

It's not that long since we were lucky to draw at home to Azerbaijan, so I don't think we can be complacent, but after recent performances, I think we can be confident.

I think keeping momentum in results is important ahead of the NL, so while there's definitely room for rotation, I wouldn't go mad either. I'd like to see another forward option and another left-back in particular - Keane/Hogan and Manning to start maybe?

If things are going well into the second half, then you can look at a few other changes. But only if things are going well; I'd prioritise the result

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Eloratings site has them marginally better than Azerbaijan and a bit worse than Luxembourg.

It's not that long since we were lucky to draw at home to Azerbaijan, so I don't think we can be complacent, but after recent performances, I think we can be confident.

I think keeping momentum in results is important ahead of the NL, so while there's definitely room for rotation, I wouldn't go mad either. I'd like to see another forward option and another left-back in particular - Keane/Hogan and Manning to start maybe?

If things are going well into the second half, then you can look at a few other changes. But only if things are going well; I'd prioritise the result
    I’d agree. I don’t think Kenny is in a position yet where he can afford any more poor performances or results. He’ll get slaughtered again if we don’t beat Lithuania. Important to keep the momentum going.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Keith Andrews has said there'll be some changes but isn't a fan of caps being thrown out for the sake of it. Bar Parrott can see the other three subs starting for the lads they replaced and probably O'Shea or Collins for Coleman. Then hopefully make a couple of subs at half time.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Curios to see the selection, I'd imagine max of 5 or 6 changes. Kelleher will start. There's a good case to rest Coleman and Duffy. Cullen is so key now it's hard to leave him out, but at the same time there's a need to see other options there. I think Hourihane might start there even though it's not a position he's played very well. Hendrick and Knight put in big shifts and one or both probably get a rest. I'd rest Ognbene too, he's proved his worth and he gets protected a bit at club level in terms of playing time and I think we should be doing similar. I'd definitely leave McClean out and give Manning a run. Robinson probably starts again seeing as he's not always a starter at club level. I'd like to see something along the lines of; Kelleher, Doherty, O'Shea, Egan, Collins, Manning, Cullen, Browne (or Sykes), Parrott, Keane, Robinson. I think Molumby might get on ahead of Sykes, I'd like to see Ronan get a run out in place of Robinson for the last half hour.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Agree with all the above. Wouldn't change much as we are finally close to a preferred 11 I think. I'd switch the following from the start: Coleman for Collins, Manning for McClean and maybe Knight for Keane. Would like to see him bring on O'Shea, Molumby, Knight/Keane, Ronan and Parrot with 30 or 40 to go. Weird that Ronan didn't make the bench against Belgium though so maybe has a knock or is further down the order than I would've thought/hoped.

Only a friendly but important to win and keep the good run going.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    see no advantage in duffy or coleman playing here. Not too sure what will be done with midfield, i think cullen is a lot better than molumby so possibly give him the first 45 then swap out. About time we saw manning get a game too. Probably harsh to drop ogbene, either that or start him and bring parrott on in his place? id expect a 3-4-3 given the opposition but with players its flexible enough to go with a 3-4-2-1

CK
    OShea Collins Egan
    Doherty Cullen Browne Manning
    Parrott Keane Robinson.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Agree with all the above. Wouldn't change much as we are finally close to a preferred 11 I think. I'd switch the following from the start: Coleman for Collins, Manning for McClean and maybe Knight for Keane. Would like to see him bring on O'Shea, Molumby, Knight/Keane, Ronan and Parrot with 30 or 40 to go. Weird that Ronan didn't make the bench against Belgium though so maybe has a knock or is further down the order than I would've thought/hoped.

Only a friendly but important to win and keep the good run going.
    My guess would be there was less chance of him getting game time ahead of Browne, Keane, or Parrott who would have been seen as the preferred players to come on in that front three and in midfield given Browne replaced Hendrick rather than Knight which I thought he would have came on for instead. Sykes would have been preferred to him given he also covers wingback too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    see no advantage in duffy or coleman playing here. Not too sure what will be done with midfield, i think cullen is a lot better than molumby so possibly give him the first 45 then swap out. About time we saw manning get a game too. Probably harsh to drop ogbene, either that or start him and bring parrott on in his place? id expect a 3-4-3 given the opposition but with players its flexible enough to go with a 3-4-2-1

CK
    OShea Collins Egan
    Parrott Keane Robinson.
    Duffy for Collins and think that could very well be the starting XI. Don't think he'll drop both Coleman and Duffy from the back three. O'Shea only coming back from injury could see him taken off early for Collins.

Ogbene didn't start Rotherham's last match before the break because of possible issues with a hamstring injury so Kenny might only start him in one of these matches.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    My guess would be there was less chance of him getting game time ahead of Browne, Keane, or Parrott who would have been seen as the preferred players to come on in that front three and in midfield given Browne replaced Hendrick rather than Knight which I thought he would have came on for instead. Sykes would have been preferred to him given he also covers wingback too.
    Makes sense. Didn't know Sykes can play wingback. Don't know much about him at all to be fair.

A fair few in there who can do a decent enough job in multiple positions but my main worry as I said in the other thread is I don't know who replaces Cullen when needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    ...my main worry as I said in the other thread is I don't know who replaces Cullen when needed.
    Sure, but that's progress from the "I don't know which three random midfielders will start because they're all ****e" status quo not so long ago. I thought Hendrick was a bit unfairly written off at that point but plenty of others wanted him dropped too, and now we have a more or less functional midfield.

I think we learn more from replacement players playing alongside the first string, so I'd swap no more than 3. Maybe Coleman, Hendrick and either Knight or Ogbene depending on Ogbene's hamstrings. In come Collins or O'Shea, Brown and maybe Keane (pushing Robinson wide).

I'm not getting up at 3 am local time for a friendly - especially while still fighting jet lag - but I look forward to reading the blow by blow here.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Makes sense. Didn't know Sykes can play wingback. Don't know much about him at all to be fair.

A fair few in there who can do a decent enough job in multiple positions but my main worry as I said in the other thread is I don't know who replaces Cullen when needed.
    Well he's ended up there when Oxford have switched to a 3-5-2 at times but normally has played on the left or right for them. Along with him a being a central midfielder by trade he offers a lot more versatility than Ronan.

Yeah Cullen is a big blow if he ever gets injured because there's no one that can step in for him. Kenny will probably see Hourihane as someone who could but unlike Cullen he often hides behind players to avoid passes in competitive games.

Molumby I see as someone more suited to be playing next to Cullen rather than someone who could replace him. Probably hoping one of Kilkenny or Coventry can push on once they're finished with the 21s in the summer. Coventry is playing a bit like how Cullen does for us at MK Dons. Would hope a loan move back to MK Dons is possible for him.
    Last edited by JR89; 28/03/2022 at 4:24 PM.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Well he's ended up there when Oxford have switched to a 3-5-2 at times but normally has played on the left or right for them. Along with him a being a central midfielder by trade he offers a lot more versatility than Ronan.

Yeah Cullen is a big blow if he ever gets injured because there's no one that can step in for him. Kenny will probably see Hourihane as someone who could but unlike Cullen he often hides behind players to avoid passes in competitive games.

Molumby I see as someone more suited to be playing next to Cullen rather than someone who could replace him. Probably hoping one of Kilkenny or Coventry can push on once they're finished with the 21s in the summer. Coventry is playing a bit like how Cullen does for us at MK Dons. Would hope a loan move back to MK Dons is possible for him.

agree with all of that. molumby more of a 'destroyer' type who can win you the ball back at will but once he has it hes not nearly as good as someone like cullen at circulating it. Really need one of those two 21s to kick on. its hard to see a role for molumby in this team imo unless his on the ball stuff improves.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    I would like to see the following lads get a good run:
    Collins
    Manning
    Sykes
    Molumby
    Parrott
    Ronan

I can't see them all starting but Collins has a good chance as Coleman might be rested. Same with Manning for McClean, it might be a good opportunity to give McClean a break. In midfield, I expect that if Hendrick or Cullen are rested then Kenny will look to Hourihane first and perhaps Browne, and then maybe Molumby. Sykes is one to come off the bench. I'd nearly prefer that as he'd be due a right good reception.

I can see Ogbene being rested, maybe Knight but hard to know. Parrott and Keane could come in alongside Robinson but I'm not sure how that works in terms of our energy at the front. I do think Kenny wants an extended look at Keane. And I think Parrott would feel he should be ahead of Ronan in the queue for a start.

I can see the following team:
    CK
    Collins Duffy Egan
    Doherty Hourihane Cullen Manning
    Parrott Keane Robinson

Hopefully Ronan, Sykes and Molumby get good half hour runs at a minimum. All 3 would relish a cut and get a good reception. Ronan for his debut, Sykes for his debut and backstory and Molumby for his style.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Are we building for the future or are we not? Picking full strength teams including 32 and 33 year olds in friendly games doesn't appear to be based on any future planning. The result seems more important than developing players. For Lithuania, players have to be tried out. Obviously not a completely different 11 but some younger prospects need a run out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Are we building for the future or are we not?
    Yeah, we are. We have introduced a multitude of new, young players and given them caps in the last two years.

Bazunu, Kelleher, Collins, O'Shea, Omobamidele, Collins, McGrath, Knight, Molumby, Idah, Ogbene, Manning. Connolly & Parrott featured more regularly than they had under previous.

Call ups for a host of others Jack Taylor, Conor Coventry, Liam Scales, Danny Mandroiu and Aaron McEneff.

The game and selection against Lithuania has absolutely nothing to do with the question you asked given the evidence i just provided above. Momentum is also important. But, even with that, he has already said he will make changes for it.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post

CK
    OShea Collins Egan
    Parrott Keane Robinson.
    That would be my team except Id keep Hendrick instead of Browne

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Sure, but that's progress from the "I don't know which three random midfielders will start because they're all ****e" status quo not so long ago. I thought Hendrick was a bit unfairly written off at that point but plenty of others wanted him dropped too, and now we have a more or less functional midfield.

I think we learn more from replacement players playing alongside the first string, so I'd swap no more than 3. Maybe Coleman, Hendrick and either Knight or Ogbene depending on Ogbene's hamstrings. In come Collins or O'Shea, Brown and maybe Keane (pushing Robinson wide).

I'm not getting up at 3 am local time for a friendly - especially while still fighting jet lag - but I look forward to reading the blow by blow here.
    Absolutely. I like the midfield balance now and I was one of those who wrote Hendrick off. Not sure if it's Kenny getting the most out of him or Hendrick just realizing he's in his last few good years but he's been hugely improved. I think himself and Cullen are locked in now and think Knight will become the nailed on 3rd if he isn't already. There's more to come from him.

For a while there we had a case of not knowing who our best 5 in midfield and attack would be. It feels like we are getting there now. Certainly Robinson and Ogbene are the looking like the best 2 we have up top.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Are we building for the future or are we not? Picking full strength teams including 32 and 33 year olds in friendly games doesn't appear to be based on any future planning. The result seems more important than developing players. For Lithuania, players have to be tried out. Obviously not a completely different 11 but some younger prospects need a run out.
    Well Boomers, I hope he makes all the changes he wants & pays not one bit of attention to the noisy nub of non believers seeking to turn any and every setback into a referendum on the competency of his tenure. Wouldn't you agree ?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast