Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Scotland - Saturday, 11 June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts

Republic of Ireland V Scotland - Saturday, 11 June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

Highlights from Scotland's 2-0 win against Armenia

For me, I don't think Ralston would win that header in the box (at 0:19) against our defence. Their second at 1:15 could go either way against us. We don't concede too many from set pieces, but it's a really good cross and McKenna's header is absolutely textbook.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 10/06/2022 at 10:18 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Actually, while I was trying to think about goals we've conceded from set pieces, I remembered Brook's goal against us in Wales, and then Ronaldo's two goals against us in September. There's a lot in common there - an attack down our left, a cross, Bale's cross means that all three headers are scored from a similar spot in the middle of the goal. Could be reading too much into it, what do you thin?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Egan ruled out for tomorrow and Coleman has left camp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    My team for tomorrow.

After a serious of disappointing performances I feel the axe has to come down for a few, and some of the others deserve a chance.

I also think Knight deserves a chance at the Hendrick role in the middle rather than being shunted from pillar to post.

------------------ Travers -----------------
    ----------- Collins Duffy Egan ------------
    Ebosele --- Knight -- Cullen ----Manning
    ---- Obafemi --- Keane --- Robinson ----
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    My team for tomorrow.

After a serious of disappointing performances I feel the axe has to come down for a few, and some of the others deserve a chance.

I also think Knight deserves a chance at the Hendrick role in the middle rather than being shunted from pillar to post.

------------------ Travers -----------------
    ----------- Collins Duffy Egan ------------
    Ebosele --- Knight -- Cullen ----Manning
    ---- Obafemi --- Keane --- Robinson ----
    Egan is ruled out and Scotland will rip us asunder if we play a midfield two when they'll more than likely line up with Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor, and Christie in midfield.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    I would go 4-5-1 with a flat back four and obafemi up front. Of course that won't happen so I assume the same team bar enforced changes. Maybe one player rested.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    ---------------------Travers
    ----------O'Shea - Duffy - Collins
    Festy - Molumby - Hendrick - McClean
    --------------Browne - Knight
    ---------------------Obafemi

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I would go 4-5-1 with a flat back four and obafemi up front. Of course that won't happen so I assume the same team bar enforced changes. Maybe one player rested.
    1000%
    Its obvious that this is our best bet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Kelleher
    OShea Duffy Collins
    Christie Cullen Hendrick McClean
    Ogbene Obafemi Knight

No real conviction in that selection but don’t want to make too many changes for the sake of continuity. Was thinking a flat back 4 but not sure about the full backs and it exposes Duffy’s limitations on the ball.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Kelleher
    OShea Duffy Collins
    Christie Cullen Hendrick McClean
    Ogbene Obafemi Knight

No real conviction in that selection but don’t want to make too many changes for the sake of continuity. Was thinking a flat back 4 but not sure about the full backs and it exposes Duffy’s limitations on the ball.
    How about this re 4-5-1
    __________ kelleher
    OShea Collins duffy manning
    Christe cullen Knight McLean
    __________parrott
    __________obefemi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    How about this re 4-5-1
    __________ kelleher
    OShea Collins duffy manning
    Christe cullen Knight McLean
    __________parrott
    __________obefemi
    Duffy is a worry in a back four if the philosophy is play out from the back, making Collins and OShea the stronger CB pair? Manning deserves an opportunity but maybe in his club position? He didn't exactly excel in making his debut at LB. That leaves Stevens for LB who looks off the pace, and pushes Christie to RB who's strength is going forward and probably therefore best suited as a wing back?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Kelleher

O’Shea. Collins. Manning

Ebosele Cullen. Stevens

Molumby. Knight

Parrott
    Obafemi

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Duffy is a worry in a back four if the philosophy is play out from the back, making Collins and OShea the stronger CB pair? Manning deserves an opportunity but maybe in his club position? He didn't exactly excel in making his debut at LB. That leaves Stevens for LB who looks off the pace, and pushes Christie to RB who's strength is going forward and probably therefore best suited as a wing back?
    I think if we go with this team, the philosophy would have changed dramatically ( this is just what I would do) .
    Duffy has the extra experience, the areal threat and will probably be captain
    Enda has tp be dropped and Manning is all that's there!

The key is the 10 ( parrott ) and the 9 Ofafemi... thats the real difference

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Travers

Lenihan Collins O'Shea

Knight Robinson Hourihane McClean

Hamilton Hogan Obafemi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Kelleher

Christie Collins OShea Stevens

Browne Molumby Cullen Knight McClean

Obafemi
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Kenny brought in wingbacks originally to accommodate both Coleman and Doherty in the same team, but somehow we are still trying to shoehorn a team into that doesnt necessarily fit now that we are missing them. Id go back to the formation that he used successfully as u21 manager.

Travers
    O'Shea Collins Linehan McClean
    Cullen Molumby
    Ogbene Parrott Knight
    Obafemi

Right back would be my toughest choice there, Id like to pick Ebosele but I think hes more suited to a more forward role and I'd like him to get at least a half hour to have a look at him. O'Shea has played there before at club level, as has Collins. I'd rather have a look at something different than Christie. At left back McClean is still our best option until Bagan and Adaramola are ready for the step up
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 10/06/2022 at 5:48 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    If we do play with three at the back - and I doubt Kenny will be too radical in changing personnel and systems - then I'd like to see us play three in midfield and two strikers who stay reasonably close together and seek to get hold of the ball, link up and occupy the Scotland defence. We're struggling to score and in Obafemi, Keane, Parrott and Hogan we have, to greater or lesser degrees, forwards who scored a decent amount of goals last season. Why not try using them? I think we need to play a genuine number 9, and for me Obafemi's club form means he has to start, with Keane or, preferably, Parrott alongside him.

Parrot is technically accomplished with good touch and control and if he's allowed to play centrally has the potential to link midfield and attack in a way we've been lacking.

Kenny's insistence on playing Ogbene as a central attacker makes little sense to me; he seems unsuited to the role, as his position and goalscoring record at club level seem to bear out. He lacks the technical ability to be really effective in that position - his touch let's him down, his movement isn't good and he doesn't have the ability to play with his back to goal and hold the ball up that a natural striker would have. I'd play him at wingback if anywhere.

Hendrick and Cullen look spent and I'd use the opportunity to look at other midfield options. Molumby ended the season well at WBA, so he perhaps deserves in opportunity, and Knight ought to be afforded the chance to play in his natural central position.

Lenihan had an excellent season for Blackburn and should probably see that recognised with a starting place. Manning impressed in a number of roles in Swansea's possession-based team and I'd probably give him an opportunity, either at LCB or wingback.

I'd also reward Travers with a start after an outstanding season for Bournemouth.

In short, I'd be seeking to freshen things up and to give more of the guys who've played regularly and shown some form during the past season a chance. The manager's relying on too many players who haven't been playing or who are out of sorts at club level and it's a big part of our problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Max O’Leary called into the squad for the injured James Talbot.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    If we do play with three at the back - and I doubt Kenny will be too radical in changing personnel and systems - then I'd like to see us play three in midfield and two strikers who stay reasonably close together and seek to get hold of the ball, link up and occupy the Scotland defence. We're struggling to score and in Obafemi, Keane, Parrott and Hogan we have, to greater or lesser degrees, forwards who scored a decent amount of goals last season. Why not try using them? I think we need to play a genuine number 9, and for me Obafemi's club form means he has to start, with Keane or, preferably, Parrott alongside him.

Parrot is technically accomplished with good touch and control and if he's allowed to play centrally has the potential to link midfield and attack in a way we've been lacking.

Kenny's insistence on playing Ogbene as a central attacker makes little sense to me; he seems unsuited to the role, as his position and goalscoring record at club level seem to bear out. He lacks the technical ability to be really effective in that position - his touch let's him down, his movement isn't good and he doesn't have the ability to play with his back to goal and hold the ball up that a natural striker would have. I'd play him at wingback if anywhere.

Hendrick and Cullen look spent and I'd use the opportunity to look at other midfield options. Molumby ended the season well at WBA, so he perhaps deserves in opportunity, and Knight ought to be afforded the chance to play in his natural central position.

Lenihan had an excellent season for Blackburn and should probably see that recognised with a starting place. Manning impressed in a number of roles in Swansea's possession-based team and I'd probably give him an opportunity, either at LCB or wingback.

I'd also reward Travers with a start after an outstanding season for Bournemouth.

In short, I'd be seeking to freshen things up and to give more of the guys who've played regularly and shown some form during the past season a chance. The manager's relying on too many players who haven't been playing or who are out of sorts at club level and it's a big part of our problem.
    Agree with all of that really

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Kenny brought in wingbacks originally to accommodate both Coleman and Doherty in the same team, but somehow we are still trying to shoehorn a team into that doesnt necessarily fit now that we are missing them. Id go back to the formation that he used successfully as u21 manager.

Travers
    O'Shea Collins Linehan McClean
    Cullen Molumby
    Ogbene Parrott Knight
    Obafemi

Right back would be my toughest choice there, Id like to pick Ebosele but I think hes more suited to a more forward role and I'd like him to get at least a half hour to have a look at him. O'Shea has played there before at club level, as has Collins. I'd rather have a look at something different than Christie. At left back McClean is still our best option until Bagan and Adaramola are ready for the step up
    Of all the suggested teams I’ve seen here I think this is the one I’d favour. I think he’ll have to make major changes. He’s under serious pressure so why not go for it ? We certainly need to beef up midfield, been played through far too easily in the last two games. I’m not convinced Obafemi is the answer up front, but it’s worth giving him a start.

Was thinking over the last few days what a shame it is that Wes Hoolahans time with the national team didn’t coincide with Kennys. Wes in his prime could make a big impact in this team I think.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast