Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Scotland - Saturday, 11 June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Ebosele must look crap in training or something.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Ogbene, Coleman and Doherty are out and Festy still can't make the matchday squad. Baffling. And why ignore one of your better footballing options, in Manning, when you profess a desire to play a possession-based game?

'Michael Obafemi is in line for a first Irish start, with Alan Browne also pushing for involvement either in midfield or at right wing-back, with James McClean set to get the nod ahead of Enda Stevens on the other side. Dara O’Shea is the front runner to replace Egan.':

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-41742138.html

So Alan Browne at wingback, again.

Good grief...
    Not that there is any danger
    But am I right in saying obafemi after today will be permanently a rep of Ireland player? With no other options

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Yep, today is his 3rd appearance after turning 21. He's locked in if he plays today.

Wouldn't be worrying as you said though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Kelleher
    Browne
    Duffy
    Egan
    Collins
    McClean
    Cullen
    Molumby
    Knight
    Obafemi
    Parrott

Browne at RWB, even though he’s played there, is baffling ahead of Festy. Rest of it: whatever, we’ll see how it goes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    That’s official line out or expected from Dan McD?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    O’Shea for Duffy, Ebosele for Browne and that is a solid side. Alan Browne at RWB, has Kenny lost his marbles? Love the Cullen, Molumby, Parrott, Obafemi, Knight selection.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Ukraine with a stronger but not full-strength team against Armenia today - Yarmolenko an unused sub but Zinchenko played most of the match.

They won 3-0, so that helps us in the goal difference stakes at least. But I think they'll have a stronger lineup on Wednesday than they did last week

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I like the team. Could it be a 433 with Collins right back and Browne in midfield 3?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Could be, but I would be surprised

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ukraine with a stronger but not full-strength team against Armenia today - Yarmolenko an unused sub but Zinchenko played most of the match.

They won 3-0, so that helps us in the goal difference stakes at least. But I think they'll have a stronger lineup on Wednesday than they did last week
    I watched it here this morning. I won’t say they were lucky, they were by far the better side, but Armenia were resilient and Ukraine found them fairly difficult to break down for large parts of the game. Armenia had a great chance to equalize but keeper clawed it back.

At one point, I thought to myself, I might have to correct myself with Pineapple that maybe we are in actual relegation trouble. Thank god they scored and spared me the shame

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    That’s official line out or expected from Dan McD?
    Official. It’s being presented as a 3-4-3

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    I'd like to see that team as a narrow front 2 with parrott Central behind obafemi and then knight as the more advanced of the midfield 3 not a front 3. Leaves space out wide when we attack for the full backs to push high and get into. I'd like to see Cullen not drop back onto duffys toes which turns us into a back 6 . That set up let's us join the midfield to the front and gives is some chance of having some midfield control

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I watched it here this morning. I won’t say they were lucky, they were by far the better side, but Armenia were resilient and Ukraine found them fairly difficult to break down for large parts of the game. Armenia had a great chance to equalize but keeper clawed it back.

At one point, I thought to myself, I might have to correct myself with Pineapple that maybe we are in actual relegation trouble. Thank god they scored and spared me the shame
    I think we are in relegation trouble to be honest, which is why its absolutely imperative that we get something from todays game

It's looking likely that neither us or Armenia will get anything from Ukraine or Scotland.. so relegation could be down to H2H.. and there's no guarantee we'd beat Armenia by two clear goals

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    My biggest fear for this evening is that Shane Duffy hears so many Scottish accents... and turns into the "Celtic" Shane Duffy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I'd like to see that team as a narrow front 2 with parrott Central behind obafemi and then knight as the more advanced of the midfield 3 not a front 3. Leaves space out wide when we attack for the full backs to push high and get into. I'd like to see Cullen not drop back onto duffys toes which turns us into a back 6 . That set up let's us join the midfield to the front and gives is some chance of having some midfield control
    Spot on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    My biggest fear for this evening is that Shane Duffy hears so many Scottish accents... and turns into the "Celtic" Shane Duffy
    He already is…

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Ogbene, Coleman and Doherty are out and Festy still can't make the matchday squad. Baffling. And why ignore one of your better footballing options, in Manning, when you profess a desire to play a possession-based game?

So Alan Browne at wingback, again.

Good grief...
    Why call Festy up and not even put him on the bench? He could have played for the U21’s, but actually should be on the pitch ahead of Browne. This is a deeply depressing and regressive selection.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    O’Shea for Duffy, Ebosele for Browne and that is a solid side. Alan Browne at RWB, has Kenny lost his marbles? Love the Cullen, Molumby, Parrott, Obafemi, Knight selection.
    Agree with that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    James McClean...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Agree with that.

Hopefully it'll be more of the 3-4-2-1 you describe or a 3-5-2 than the tried-and-failed 3-4-3.

We need to be a lot more compact - both offensively and defensively - play a higher defensive line than we've seen (difficult with Duffy in the team, as he likes to drop off), compress the space a lot more and attempt to press - as a unit - higher up the park. Whatever happened to the high press Kenny initially promised by the way? The long-range strikes we've been conceding aren't simply misfortune , as Kenny has suggested, but a direct result of our lack of compactness in midfield. We developed a soft centre; it's too easy to get at our backline, and that needs to change

As you say, we need to keep our wingbacks as high and wide as possible, which we haven't been doing. I totally agree that in the 3-4-3 we've been playing, rather than dovetailing with the wingbacks the wide forwards are both ineffective and getting in the wingbacks' space.

I believe Ebosele would have given Robertson, or whoever, a far more difficult time than Browne will, whose skillset, such as it is, seems totally unsuited to a wingback role. I've got no idea what Kenny's thinking is there.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast