Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Scotland - Saturday, 11 June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Of all the suggested teams I’ve seen here I think this is the one I’d favour. I think he’ll have to make major changes. He’s under serious pressure so why not go for it ? We certainly need to beef up midfield, been played through far too easily in the last two games. I’m not convinced Obafemi is the answer up front, but it’s worth giving him a start.

Was thinking over the last few days what a shame it is that Wes Hoolahans time with the national team didn’t coincide with Kennys. Wes in his prime could make a big impact in this team I think.
    The team would have been built around Wes Tony. Even Andy Reid would make an enormous difference. For all our possession we dont have that player with a spark of brilliance to pick a killer pass

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Was thinking over the last few days what a shame it is that Wes Hoolahans time with the national team didn’t coincide with Kennys. Wes in his prime could make a big impact in this team I think.
    Given the paucity of our midfield options at the minute, I’d be loath to write off Byrne. He’s only really had cameos up to now compared to some who have consistently underwhelmed. It would be good if Smallbone got that move to Forest, as he looks like a player, but not really had a proper run at Southampton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    The team would have been built around Wes Tony. Even Andy Reid would make an enormous difference. For all our possession we dont have that player with a spark of brilliance to pick a killer pass
    He wasn't that fat.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    He wasn't that fat.
    He was a Big Entertainer ! !

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Given the paucity of our midfield options at the minute, I’d be loath to write off Byrne. He’s only really had cameos up to now compared to some who have consistently underwhelmed. It would be good if Smallbone got that move to Forest, as he looks like a player, but not really had a proper run at Southampton.
    Byrne off the bench with 20 minutes to go would be a decent option to have in some games. His pass this season for the assist against Dundalk was the best Ive seen anywhere in years

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    The gulf between LOI and senior international level has been clearly evident throughout the past 30 years, Byrne has failed in England, Scotland, Cyprus, he did do ok with a poor Dutch team at a young age, and has only blossomed in the LOI. In his brief cameo for Ireland he also failed to impress. Byrne is a firm no for me.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Andorra got their first ever Nations League win tonight, so that just leaves four winless teams now, Iceland, Ireland, NI and San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    The second goal was ridiculous

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Im sticking with:

Travers
    Ebosele, Collins, Duffy, O’Shea, McClean
    Cullen, Molumby,
    Parrott, Obafemi, Knight

That team will beat Scotland if selected.

Alan Browne isn’t good enough. Ogbene is a useful impact sub, not a future starter for me unless he drastically improves in the championship next season. Christie had another underwhelming club season, and has never impressed me in an irish shirt. It’s time to blood Festy in. Robinson can remain as a bench option. I like Lenihan, but would take Duffy’s experience as a stop gap until Omobamidele is back fit. If reverting to flat back 4 that could change things, with O’Shea needed at RB, I would NOT trust Festy right now unless Collins is right behind him, or you push him further up the field.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Im sticking with:

Travers
    Cullen, Molumby,
    Parrott, Obafemi, Knight

That’d be a great team. Kenny’s retrenched with fear this campaign relying on over the hill players. The only shining lights have been the kids, so let’s whack them all in and see what they can do. No such thing as a bad experience and will negate the usual cautious cynicism of our senior perennial underachievers.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MancIrishWolf View Post
    That’d be a great team. Kenny’s retrenched with fear this campaign relying on over the hill players. The only shining lights have been the kids, so let’s whack them all in and see what they can do. No such thing as a bad experience and will negate the usual cautious cynicism of our senior perennial underachievers.
    Kenny would be better to go down fighting with a team like this, than with a Whimper that, we are almost certain to get from him in the next two games ! !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Im sticking with:

Travers
    Cullen, Molumby,
    Parrott, Obafemi, Knight

That team will beat Scotland if selected.

Alan Browne isn’t good enough. Ogbene is a useful impact sub, not a future starter for me unless he drastically improves in the championship next season. Christie had another underwhelming club season, and has never impressed me in an irish shirt. It’s time to blood Festy in. Robinson can remain as a bench option. I like Lenihan, but would take Duffy’s experience as a stop gap until Omobamidele is back fit. If reverting to flat back 4 that could change things, with O’Shea needed at RB, I would NOT trust Festy right now unless Collins is right behind him, or you push him further up the field.
    Festy hasn't made the match day 23 unfortunately.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Ogbene injured too it seems. Manning and Ebosele the two to miss out on the matchday squad - bit strange as they're both in relatively similar positions? Hogan and Lenihan added to the 23 instead.

I think we're due a hammering one of these days unfortunately - Ukraine could have done it based on the Scotland game but made 10 changes instead; Belgium could have done it based on the first 30 minutes of the match but again their decision to play a second string helped us; Portugal could have done it based on how they've been playing lately (they were a joy to watch v Switzerland) but they simply weren't bothered in Lansdowne; Serbia could have done it but for a combination of poor finishing and great goalkeeping.

I don't think Scotland are the team to deliver it though; they've some players we'd kill for, but up front isn't their strength. Is it predictable to suggest we'll start brightly, get lost midway through the first half, gradually fall back before conceding a goal, and then lumping forward to Duffy for the last 15 minutes but failing to rescue a 1-0 defeat?

I'd hope for a reaction to the Ukraine game, but then I hoped for the same reaction from the Armenia game and it didn't happen.

Ukraine on Wednesday could be a long night if they bring back in their top players.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 11/06/2022 at 9:56 AM.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    manning must be seen as a cb and only a cb. no other reason to explain his omission

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    But why did he play wing-back against Lithuania then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    But why did he play wing-back against Lithuania then?
    no idea tbh. its the only explanation i have for him not being included in the matchday squads.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    This team isnt good enough to go on a run of wins and Kennys credibility is shot.
    Its a case of get rid of him now or limp into the euros qualifying and get rid of him after a couple of games.
    The FAI will be looking for the cheapest way out at this stage so id guess it will be at the end of the Nations league (if he gets that far).
    They put it out there that there was a performance clause in his contract and youd have to think he hasnt ticked that box.
    Only thing he has going for him from an FAI perspective is he is cheap.

Are we better off getting relegated at this stage and having a better Nations league the next time?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Ogbene, Coleman and Doherty are out and Festy still can't make the matchday squad. Baffling. And why ignore one of your better footballing options, in Manning, when you profess a desire to play a possession-based game?

'Michael Obafemi is in line for a first Irish start, with Alan Browne also pushing for involvement either in midfield or at right wing-back, with James McClean set to get the nod ahead of Enda Stevens on the other side. Dara O’Shea is the front runner to replace Egan.':

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-41742138.html

So Alan Browne at wingback, again.

Good grief...
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 11/06/2022 at 10:51 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    No, because League B offers a route to the World Cup playoffs next time and League C doesn't. So if he relegates us he has damaged our chances up to 2026 as well. Tonight is his last chance, no win tonight and he has to go, simple as that. It will only be a small payoff because of the break clause in his contract and it will give a new man the time and a chance to undo some of the damage in the autumn and rebuild towards the qualifiers next year.

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Ogbene, Coleman and Doherty are out and Festy still can't make the matchday squad. Baffling. And why ignore one of your better footballing options, in Manning, when you profess a desire to play a possession-based game?

'Michael Obafemi is in line for a first Irish start, with Alan Browne also pushing for involvement either in midfield or at right wing-back, with James McClean set to get the nod ahead of Enda Stevens on the other side. Dara O’Shea is the front runner to replace Egan.':

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-41742138.html

So Alan Browne at wingback, again.

Good grief...
    This is disturbing news to wake up to…

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast