Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Scotland - Saturday, 11 June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I havent seen that vision from an Irish side in nearly 20 years in Dublin. Reid and Keane came to my mind when Obafemi played that ball through for parrot. There was a clear link in their play throughout, dropping deeper and playing off one another. Scotland were poor and way off the pace, their fans said theyve been on holiday mode since the Ukraine defeat, but Obafemi and Parrot were great the last day, but lets see how they fare against Ukraine before we start getting excited. I hope Obafemis injury was minor and just good game management.

What I really liked about the last day was kelleher was mixing it up way more, going long more often than not, and winning kick-outs in midfield and turning into space. Much less of this silly going nowhere passing it about the back, even giving away 2 potential goals only for very poor finishing. Thought in general kelleher looked much better Saturday than previously, and in person doesnt look so small in the goals, like both he and bazunu do on TV. He has very thin legs though, would like to see him bulk up a little especially noticeable when he is coming out for crosses.

Enjoyed Saturday the first time really since seeing Ireland under Kenny, we mixed it up a lot and went through the centre, it wasn't all about passing it along the back the sides, back again, across the back 4 and then out to the wings for a cross, there was much more directness about us, and playing through the centre, getting on the ball and turning into space. Molumby's bite was good to see kind of the aggression we needed given how poor we were in midfield the previous two games. It was fairly controlled aggression too bar one or two tackles. Collins is good, his positioning was much better the last day, we really are spoiled in the central positions at the back.

One thing I saw that I liked and really got the crowd going was Duffy, and later on mcclean, picked up the ball Gaelic football style and did a solo running with it, doubt it was picked up on TV, but it got the crowd going around me, and I can imagine it got the crowd going elsewhere too. It was like a sutble doth the cap, again something that makes these players more relatable as if they knew this was the salute/gesture to play.

Oh and the SS were singing Only one Stephen Kenny well before any goal went in. There'd be a big LOI contingent in there - make of that what you will.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 13/06/2022 at 11:18 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Set up much better. Parrott and Obafemi playing as a central 2 actually running towards goal unlike ogbene running out wide into no man's land continously.

A compact midfield 3 with molumby and knight taking turns at been the more advanced and foingvthst hard running and tge other dropping into sit with Cullen. Cullen playing further forward away from Duffy and been brave and getting turned when receiving the ball.

The full backs starting high on half way and forcing the 3 at the back to actually work across the whole pitch instead of lazily sitting deep and narrow.

Kelleher cutting out danger with quality sweeping and getting a strong punch on the dangerous corner
    Ya I put up before what I'd like to see something like a 4-1-2-1-2, wasn't quite what we had as we persisted with two wing backs but it felt like a proper 1-2 in the forward line, and molumby and cullen in as the 2 anchors in midfield giving knight free reign going forward. Perhaps he's stumbled on it, but really interested to see the same formation against Ukraine with the same players pretty much.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Hard to make head or tail of that to be honest.

Obviously a great win, and the younger players being the top performers made it even better. Obafemi, Parrott, Knight and Molumby all outstanding. A real coming of age moment for the four of them.

But make no mistake, that wasn't a Kenny style performance at all. We had less possession and fewer passes than Scotland. We played with aggression and tenacity instead of trying to pass the ball through them, as we have tried (and failed) to do against everyone else. A real back to the future performance that was great to see, haven't seen one of those since 2017.

So what the hell happened? Has Kenny changed his approach? Did the players take things into their own hands and just decide to play a different way? Did the game being a local derby bring it about? I honestly don't know, but something was totally different today.

More importantly, is this going to be a welcome change of style going forward or will we revert to type in Poland? That's probably the most important question.
    This is exactly how I feel, I was saying from early days that I wanted to see a hybrid game, where we played the percentages when needed but went long and did the other stuff too. I felt Saturday had this, I'm wondering if part of this is kelleher being a little bit smarter and more "aware" with his distribution. If this is kenny now realising finally what needs to be done then that's great, and I am happy to see this approach and style of play, but dont let others dress it up in any other way. We had much less possession, much less passes and much less passing accuracy. This was back to a more direct approach that we know Ireland can play, and are decent at. Long may it continue!

To stus point, I dont write off players, I just dont get excited early on, one swallow doesnt make a summer. I've been critical of parrot and connolly and rightly so, I never mentioned obafemi really.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    multi-quotes have been a thing on the forum for some time paul
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Great question on Twitter.. imagine we qualify for USA 26.. first game tomorrow

Who'd our imaginary 11 be

I went with

Bazunu

Omobomidele, O Shea, [AN Other]

Aradamola, Ebosele

Collins, Molumby

Parrot

Ferguson, Obafemi

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    multi-quotes have been a thing on the forum for some time paul
    Sorry tets, when replying to different posts I hate to see it all stacked up and it puts me off reading them plus i read them in chronological order, so I apply the same when doing it myself. But if you want them in one feel free to put them into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post

I went with

Bazunu

Aradamola, Ebosele

Collins, Molumby

Parrot

Ferguson, Obafemi
    Relax the kaks.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post

I went with

Bazunu

Aradamola, Ebosele

Collins, Molumby

Parrot

Ferguson, Obafemi
    Bazunu (23)

Omobamidele (22)
    Collins (24)
    Egan (32)

Doherty (33)
    Knight (24)
    Smallbone (25)
    Cullen (28)
    Bagan (23)

Parrott (23)
    Obafemi (24)

At the start of the qualifiers that team would have 8 of the starting XI between that 23-28 age group. Bazunu, Doherty, Smallbone, Parrott, and Knight birthdays fall before the first qualifier.

Still think Doherty and Egan will be in the starting XI come the start of the qualifiers in March 2025. Think Duffy will lose his place as Collins will have moved into the centre of the three. Would hope someone like Smallbone improves and makes that third spot in midfield with Cullen and Knight his own. Up front is tricky as if Idah can stay injury free think he'd push for a starting spot but think our three main strikers come 2025 will be Idah, Obafemi, and Parrott.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Bazunu (23)

Omobamidele (22)
    Collins (24)
    Egan (32)

Doherty (33)
    Knight (24)
    Smallbone (25)
    Cullen (28)
    Bagan (23)

Parrott (23)
    Obafemi (24)

At the start of the qualifiers that team would have 8 of the starting XI between that 23-28 age group. Bazunu, Doherty, Smallbone, Parrott, and Knight birthdays fall before the first qualifier.

Still think Doherty and Egan will be in the starting XI come the start of the qualifiers in March 2025. Think Duffy will lose his place as Collins will have moved into the centre of the three. Would hope someone like Smallbone improves and makes that third spot in midfield with Cullen and Knight his own. Up front is tricky as if Idah can stay injury free think he'd push for a starting spot but think our three main strikers come 2025 will be Idah, Obafemi, and Parrott.

That could be our team by September!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I'm probably going to get a suspension from twitter for this.
    Worth it.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

10. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I havent seen that vision from an Irish side in nearly 20 years in Dublin. Reid and Keane came to my mind when Obafemi played that ball through for parrot. There was a clear link in their play throughout, dropping deeper and playing off one another. Scotland were poor and way off the pace, their fans said theyve been on holiday mode since the Ukraine defeat, but Obafemi and Parrot were great the last day, but lets see how they fare against Ukraine before we start getting excited. I hope Obafemis injury was minor and just good game management.

What I really liked about the last day was kelleher was mixing it up way more, going long more often than not, and winning kick-outs in midfield and turning into space. Much less of this silly going nowhere passing it about the back, even giving away 2 potential goals only for very poor finishing. Thought in general kelleher looked much better Saturday than previously, and in person doesnt look so small in the goals, like both he and bazunu do on TV. He has very thin legs though, would like to see him bulk up a little especially noticeable when he is coming out for crosses.

Enjoyed Saturday the first time really since seeing Ireland under Kenny, we mixed it up a lot and went through the centre, it wasn't all about passing it along the back the sides, back again, across the back 4 and then out to the wings for a cross, there was much more directness about us, and playing through the centre, getting on the ball and turning into space. Molumby's bite was good to see kind of the aggression we needed given how poor we were in midfield the previous two games. It was fairly controlled aggression too bar one or two tackles. Collins is good, his positioning was much better the last day, we really are spoiled in the central positions at the back.

One thing I saw that I liked and really got the crowd going was Duffy, and later on mcclean, picked up the ball Gaelic football style and did a solo running with it, doubt it was picked up on TV, but it got the crowd going around me, and I can imagine it got the crowd going elsewhere too. It was like a sutble doth the cap, again something that makes these players more relatable as if they knew this was the salute/gesture to play.

Oh and the SS were singing Only one Stephen Kenny well before any goal went in. There'd be a big LOI contingent in there - make of that what you will.
    Yes big LOI contingent in the SS but that didn't stop a fair size element booing the Liverpool player and then counter-booing of the Man U player. I found that cringeworthy and embarrassing and so out of place.

Thought it was a great result but not sure the actual performance matched the scoreline as we only had something like 7 shots on goal the whole game as almost gave away 2 soft goals. However it's a results business so that's all that matters. Thought the performance in Poland was much better but I am still not convinced there isn't another Armenia around the corner (first time we've lost to a "minnow" away from home since the debacle in Cyprus under Staunton (2007 ?)).
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I would get on The left The dundalk kid at mls Jonny Gallagher tremendous talent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Thread locked and archived
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 26/09/2022 at 3:30 PM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112