Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Ukraine - Wednesday, 8 June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think it's fairly reasonable - it's a great cross in and I don't see that Kelleher can come for it. Then there's three people jumping at the ball in front of him (two of whom - Duffy and Egan - fall over for some reason) which makes it very hard to predict where it's going to end up. I hadn't realised at the game that he'd gotten a hand to it; I thought it had gone straight in.

I know some are saying he should be dropped for it; I think that's incredibly harsh. That sort of goal has been scored before and you'd struggle to find a keeper who was dropped for it.
    I suppose with the very best keepers they seem to be able to dig out defenders where mistakes are made,a few keeper heads reckon he’s to far over as his starting position,but I’m no expert in it,guess it’ll be analysed more because it was the only goal in the game….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think it's fairly reasonable - it's a great cross in and I don't see that Kelleher can come for it. Then there's three people jumping at the ball in front of him (two of whom - Duffy and Egan - fall over for some reason) which makes it very hard to predict where it's going to end up. I hadn't realised at the game that he'd gotten a hand to it; I thought it had gone straight in.

I know some are saying he should be dropped for it; I think that's incredibly harsh. That sort of goal has been scored before and you'd struggle to find a keeper who was dropped for it.
    I dont think he should be dropped for it (or that it is a drop-worthy error in its own right) but he definitely could have taken a step further to his right and trusted his two covering CBs to do their job against one. A little more situational awareness and peripheral vision maybe. The scrutiny that many have placed on Bazunu means that Kelleher should be subjected to the same. I think you are going a little easier on him than you have on Bazunu

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Funny, I think people are going a lot harder on him than they did on Bazunu!

Was it NeverFeltBetter who said Kelleher "had to be stopping" the Armenia goal? But don't remember the same being said at home to Azerbaijan for example. You can probably always pick up on some level of error in every goal, but was he really "awful", as Stutts says? I don't think so.

Anyways, I think our problems are very much at the other end of the pitch, and if Travers comes in to reward him for a decent season or even just for showing up for the four games, I've no issues with that. But I think some of the criticism of the goal has been excessive, and glad to see a seasoned pro agree.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 10/06/2022 at 7:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    I was being a bit mischievous there alright

I don't think Kelleher has been awful by any stretch to be honest and there wasnt much he could have done about the Armenian goal. A complete thunderbast@rd of a shot. I do agree with Stutts that he looks awful small in the goals though. Personally, I think Bazunu has had the more impressive performances overall but, conversely, has played in games where he simply had more to do.

And i wholeheartedly agree that goalkeeping quality is not the problem with the team and performances.

Anyway, I had my fun and thats all that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    I dont think he should be dropped for missi ng the cross.. I think he shouldn't have started above Travers in the first place. Travers has played a lot more time than Kelleher this year, and will likely play a lot more at a higher level tgan him next season too

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Thread locked and archived
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617