Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Ukraine - Wednesday, 8 June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I think the team you expect Kenny to pick is exactly what he'll do Tommy. He does like a curve ball every now and then so wouldnt be surprised to see something random like Browne starting.

Robinson will be lucky to keep his place, I think he was very poor in Armenia. Far from the only one obviously but really was annoyed with him at times
    He has been one of our better players, a technically gifted player with the promise of that creative extra, (which you won't get from the hoddie McClean) do you think such a player should be dropped for being off form in a game played in blistering heat?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    He has been one of our better players, a technically gifted player with the promise of that creative extra, (which you won't get from the hoddie McClean) do you think such a player should be dropped for being off form in a game played in blistering heat?
    I dont get the reference to McClean. I think Robinson is inconsistent. He was on fire for a few games in a row but can also be a bit of a headless chicken who makes poor decisions. I would potentially start Obafemi ahead of him for this game

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    My team for tomorrow would be

Kelleher

Collins Duffy Egan

Christie Cullen Hendrick McClean

Ogbene Obafemi Knight

Would like to see Festy get a run at some point so I hope hes in matchday squad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    If that’s against Harry Kane it’s a pen
    I know my footie

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I dont get the reference to McClean. I think Robinson is inconsistent. He was on fire for a few games in a row but can also be a bit of a headless chicken who makes poor decisions. I would potentially start Obafemi ahead of him for this game
    There comes a time in intl football when there is a first 11, (for the most part) regardless of an off game. The manager sticks with the first 11 (for the most part) through thick and thin. If that's not so with Ireland then we are still experimenting with prospective players, we are still not settled on our best 11, we are still in the process of team building. That means that after 2 years, either we are afflicted with an indecisive incompetent management or/and a bunch of players not good enough to nail down their place at this level.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Saw this on RTE this morning: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...ive-in-dublin/

A loss to Armenia is "Eight steps forward, one step back" (the eight referring to the streak of avoiding losses, that included the 1-1 home draw with Azerbaijan and that awful performance against Lithuania)? And "does [winning the group] really going to matter to the regular Irish football fan?" I'm loath to agree with certain people on here who get very loud whenever Ireland mess up, but Kenny is getting an easy ride from certain quarters.

We really need a win tonight, especially after Kenny's claimed aim of winning the group, but I don't see it happening. Ukraine looked very good against Scotland, and made a lot of chances in Cardiff, enough that on another day they would have eased into the World Cup. It seems that we're banking on their mental state being frail/low, but they strike me as a team that can rally.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Awful article, you don't get much more Kenny fan boy than that.

11. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Daft article alright.

On the Lithuania game actually, I see they lost 6-0 at home to Turkey and 2-0 at home to Luxembourg in the Nations League this week. It'll be interesting to see how Scotland fare against Armenia tonight. You're right to put the 8-game unbeaten run into some context, and I think the results noted don't put the Lithuania struggle in a positive light anyway. (Not that most of us didn't know this anyway)

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    There comes a time in intl football when there is a first 11, (for the most part) regardless of an off game. The manager sticks with the first 11 (for the most part) through thick and thin. If that's not so with Ireland then we are still experimenting with prospective players, we are still not settled on our best 11, we are still in the process of team building. That means that after 2 years, either we are afflicted with an indecisive incompetent management or/and a bunch of players not good enough to nail down their place at this level.
    I think most of the first XI are pretty certain and turnover can be explained by a few factors. Doc starts if fit, which he isn't. Omobamidele and O'Shea are very close to the XI if fit - not fair to say they didn't perform well enough to nail down a place at this level, especially as Collins has emerged.

Idah and Connolly aren't available or aren't trusted anymore but I think it's hard to argue that they weren't deserving of selection when they were picked, even if it was a touch speculative. Obafemi has finally played himself into contention and Parrott has now earned his slot. Coleman and Stevens mightn't have long left. I expect a bit of flux in the next half year too due to the U21s like Smallbone, Noss, O'Connor, Coventry etc being promoted (you could see several). So I think a fair bit of turnover is understandable, both in the recent past and in the near future. I'm not sure it's indecision (though McGrath's exclusion is odd imho) and I'd agree that to an extent it's players being tried but not delivering (Connolly for example, maybe also Hourihane). So just saying your either/or scenario doesn't tell the full picture imho.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 08/06/2022 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Ebosele replaces Coleman in the matchday squad.

Lenihan, Manning and Hogan miss out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Do we reckon Manning just isn’t an international player at this stage? He’s 25,been playing regularly for a few years in the Championship and left back isn’t exactly a position of strength…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Ebosele comes into the squad in place of Coleman according to reports, meaning no place in the 23 for Lenihan, Hogan and Manning miss out. Edit: sorry, someone else posted this at the same time as me.

This suggests to me that McClean will likely be playing at wingback with Festy on bench as a Hail Mary option if and when we need him

Manning is one of the better footballers available to us with a good left foot and is a decent set-piece taker as well as being versatile, so it's surprising to me Kenny that has failed to find room for him once again. McClean had question marks over his fitness going into these games didn't play well when he came on the other day.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 08/06/2022 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I thought Manning and Hogan (also a Championship regular in a position we're not exactly well-stocked with) were two of the bright spots from the Lithuania game to be honest. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement, and in Manning's case it was hard to judge him when he had little to do defensively. But yeah, for both of those players, there has to be a feeling that Kenny just doesn't fancy them, for right or for wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Yeah maybe it’s a Kenny preference thing,I haven’t seen him playing too much I’ll be honest ,just weird he isn’t even making the squad….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    With five actual CBs named in the squad Manning was probably only brought as cover incase McClean or Stevens dropped out. They both came into camp with injuries so was probably better to have Manning in camp already rather than at home on the standby list. Would be my guess as when he's made squads before with McClean and Stevens also named he's always been there as fifth choice CB.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I though Manning did well enough in the Lithuania game to have maybe bumped himself up the pecking order, but he's clearly not trusted enough to be an option in competitive games. He's there just as a versatile backup if there's an injury crisis at this stage. Optimism as always is rising pre-game. Should be a good crowd and atmosphere and hopefully the players respond to the setback the way we hope they can. Would love to see us just taking on a few more shots and being a bit more aggressive in attacking the penalty area, we're too happy to just lob in hopeful crosses rather than trying to work it into the box and maybe win a penalty or creating a shooting opportunity from a cut back.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Do we reckon Manning just isn’t an international player at this stage? He’s 25,been playing regularly for a few years in the Championship and left back isn’t exactly a position of strength…..
    I think he’s a viable LCB in a 3. His passing is good and he’s progressive there and a good footballer. Not sure he’s really a left back, just doesn’t really have the pace required for the position in the modern game

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Saw this on RTE this morning: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...ive-in-dublin/

A loss to Armenia is "Eight steps forward, one step back" (the eight referring to the streak of avoiding losses, that included the 1-1 home draw with Azerbaijan and that awful performance against Lithuania)? And "does [winning the group] really going to matter to the regular Irish football fan?" I'm loath to agree with certain people on here who get very loud whenever Ireland mess up, but Kenny is getting an easy ride from certain quarters.
    Funny I was looking at this earlier, and another article on rte, also one on independent.ie but i cant find it now, which effectively said "having lost to Armenia any hopes of winning/topping the group are now gone". Where did that come from in a day? Its like the media is setting the expectations for the fans early, so that any schtick to measure or in some instance beat Kenny with are short and thin. I'd never really noticed anything in the media more a faux-nonchalance or radio silence, but this is getting a bit ridiculous now.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Daft article alright.

On the Lithuania game actually, I see they lost 6-0 at home to Turkey and 2-0 at home to Luxembourg in the Nations League this week. It'll be interesting to see how Scotland fare against Armenia tonight. You're right to put the 8-game unbeaten run into some context, and I think the results noted don't put the Lithuania struggle in a positive light anyway. (Not that most of us didn't know this anyway)
    Another thing thats pretty ridiculous in the media that I hadnt noticed so much up until recently was this "pull a random stat into a context that means nothing to generate a good light". 6 in 10, 2 in 12 etc etc. They mean nothing.

Where are all the greenshoots now though?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I think he’s a viable LCB in a 3. His passing is good and he’s progressive there and a good footballer. Not sure he’s really a left back, just doesn’t really have the pace required for the position in the modern game

Seems to be echo'd by swansea fans. Definitely not a wing back anyway if pace is the issue.
    Last edited by Jd2793; 08/06/2022 at 2:29 PM.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast