Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Ukraine - Wednesday, 8 June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think Kelleher should start tbh. There's no point giving Kelleher the easy games only to see what he's made of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Even with Ukraine’s tough week I’d still have them favourites,looking at their bench the other night ,which you’d expect most of their starters would come from tomorrow,the majority are from Ukrainian clubs playing regularly in the Champions League….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Even with Ukraine’s tough week I’d still have them favourites,looking at their bench the other night ,which you’d expect most of their starters would come from tomorrow,the majority are from Ukrainian clubs playing regularly in the Champions League….
    If we can’t put in a good performance against the Ukraine after the week they have had ~ ~ Then the Kenny regime is in big big big trouble ~ Boris Johnson probably has better long term prospects ! !

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think Kelleher should start tbh. There's no point giving Kelleher the easy games only to see what he's made of.
    I think it'll have to be Kelleher, Travers hasn't played since Serbia(his only competitive cap) putting him in against Ukraine would be a mistake, and if he doesn't play that game, he's unlikely to play against Scotland.
    I know hindsight is 20:20, but playing Kelleher against Armenia really looks bad now, Kenny has effectively painted himself into a corner by selecting him. We didn't learn anything we already didn't know about him in that game. Playing Travers would have been a reward for his season with Bournemouth.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    We are 13/10 favs on paddypower. I just don't get that we just lost to armenia.
    All my mates are very confident that' the Ukraine players will basically fall asleep on the pitch because they are wrecked physically and psychologically.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Yeah we’re the same against Scotland and I’d not put a penny on us in either game!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

10. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I know hindsight is 20:20, but playing Kelleher against Armenia really looks bad now, Kenny has effectively painted himself into a corner by selecting him. We didn't learn anything we already didn't know about him in that game. Playing Travers would have been a reward for his season with Bournemouth.
    I don't think he's painted himself into a corner as much as simply made the decision that Kelleher is ahead of Travers (which is maybe a more conscious decision than you're allowing)

The big problem is losing to Armenia already has us under pressure. If we'd beaten them and, say, taken a draw or better from the upcoming two games, well that's a good return from the window and you could be more relaxed about making changes for the last game. But changes for the sake of it don't seem the right thing to do if we're on, say, one point from three games especially if, as on Saturday, Kelleher hasn't done anything wrong really.

Wouldn't begrudge Travers a game of course. But I'd be more interested in finding out who our best forward options are.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 07/06/2022 at 12:03 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Looks like he wasn't in line to play tomorrow anyway, so no loss in that regard.

Though the article suggests Kenny will rotate the team around, then mentions the 21s making five changes, and then doesn't give any indication what changes are likely, or if there may be as many as five or if the 21s reference was just completely random. Not the best journalism I've ever seen!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Confusing all right.

There will be 'no wholesale changes' according to Kenny:

https://www.the42.ie/seamus-coleman-15-5784701-Jun2022/

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If we can’t put in a good performance against the Ukraine after the week they have had ~ ~ Then the Kenny regime is in big big big trouble ~ Boris Johnson probably has better long term prospects ! !
    A good performance plus a result.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    A good performance plus a result.
    I was being generous ~ I just can’t help it ~ Sometimes you can have a performance and not get the deserved result.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    In terms of the team tomorrow, we've been told not to expect wholesale changes so presumably it'll be two or three max and we know Coleman is out so that's one of them. I'd like to see a slight tweak to the shape presuming it's still 3 at the back. I think the exciting move might be Ogbene for Coleman but I think we'll see Christie get the nod and I won't be too upset by that. Not sure Stephens is 100% so McClean might get the nod to start, he'll bring a bit of energy and bite but maybe at the expense of some defensive solidity. Personally, I'd probably leave out Duffy and bring in Lenihan or O'Shea, both offer a bit more on the ball, but I think the back three will be unchanged.

In the middle, I'll be surprised if Cullen and Hendrick are not in from the start again. The game might have even been good for Hendrick after a light enough amount of game time towards the end of the season. My change would be to start Knight in front of them, closer to an additional centre mid than as part of a front three, with a more defined front two. Hard to leave Ogbene out altogether, but if the shape changes like that, I think he has to be at wing back or left out. The front two then would likely be Parrot/Keane and Obafemi/Robinson. I'd be curious to see Parrot and Obafemi in this set up myself but Kenny does like a front 3 so it's more likely to be one through the middle and one either side again, even though it's not really producing goals for us.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    In terms of the team tomorrow, we've been told not to expect wholesale changes so presumably it'll be two or three max and we know Coleman is out so that's one of them. I'd like to see a slight tweak to the shape presuming it's still 3 at the back. I think the exciting move might be Ogbene for Coleman but I think we'll see Christie get the nod and I won't be too upset by that. Not sure Stephens is 100% so McClean might get the nod to start, he'll bring a bit of energy and bite but maybe at the expense of some defensive solidity. Personally, I'd probably leave out Duffy and bring in Lenihan or O'Shea, both offer a bit more on the ball, but I think the back three will be unchanged.

In the middle, I'll be surprised if Cullen and Hendrick are not in from the start again. The game might have even been good for Hendrick after a light enough amount of game time towards the end of the season. My change would be to start Knight in front of them, closer to an additional centre mid than as part of a front three, with a more defined front two. Hard to leave Ogbene out altogether, but if the shape changes like that, I think he has to be at wing back or left out. The front two then would likely be Parrot/Keane and Obafemi/Robinson. I'd be curious to see Parrot and Obafemi in this set up myself but Kenny does like a front 3 so it's more likely to be one through the middle and one either side again, even though it's not really producing goals for us.
    I think I'd hope for Christie in for Coleman, McClean in for Stevens. Parrott out and either Knight or Obafemi in for him. That'd do me grand...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    The team I would play: Travers, Collins, Egan, O’Shea, Ebosele, McClean, Cullen, Knight, Ogbene, Obafemi, Parrott.

The team I expect Kenny to select: Kelleher, Collins, Duffy, Egan, Christie, McClean, Cullen, Hendrick, Ogbene, Robinson, Parrott (I have a feeling he may drop Parrott though, maybe Knight in his place, although I don’t fancy Knight out wide).

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    The team I would play: Travers, Collins, Egan, O’Shea, Ebosele, McClean, Cullen, Knight, Ogbene, Obafemi, Parrott.

The team I expect Kenny to select: Kelleher, Collins, Duffy, Egan, Christie, McClean, Cullen, Hendrick, Ogbene, Robinson, Parrott (I have a feeling he may drop Parrott though, maybe Knight in his place, although I don’t fancy Knight out wide).
    I think the team you expect Kenny to pick is exactly what he'll do Tommy. He does like a curve ball every now and then so wouldnt be surprised to see something random like Browne starting.

Robinson will be lucky to keep his place, I think he was very poor in Armenia. Far from the only one obviously but really was annoyed with him at times

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Robinson will be lucky to keep his place, I think he was very poor in Armenia. Far from the only one obviously but really was annoyed with him at times
    I think so alright. I said at the start that I'd leave Obafemi out of the Armenia game to bring him back in for the home games and I think I'd still like to see that (even though Obafemi wasn't up to much on Saturday either, disappointingly)

It's be the main change I'd be looking to see anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Not going to make a massive difference to the game on Saturday, David Marshall has announced his retirement from international football
    https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/da...ent/?rid=14258
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Well I guess that's 40 yard lobbed finishes out of the question then.

26. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post

If he goes with three forwards and two in midfield yet again we'd be as well to just pack it in. Surely even Kenny has to learn at this point.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast