Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 232

Thread: Kerry FC

  1. #141
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    10
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It gives you every confidence that Kerry FC are going about their business as one should.

    Boxes getting ticked and the people who are running the club have the know how to run a proper club. Time will tell but signs are good!

  2. #142
    Reserves GUFCghost's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    255
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    111
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    23
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Maybe we're only seeing the process in the open now, but I can't remember this kind of happening when Cabintely went up. If I'm not mistaken, weren't they kind of promoted at the last minute?
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

  3. #143
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    35,564
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,160
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,259
    Thanked in
    2,729 Posts
    Yeah, about six weeks out or something. Shamrock Rovers B pulled out.

  4. #144
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,968
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    547
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    552
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    The Kerry FC process of joining the league is a proper courtship, whereas Cabinteely's elevation was a shotgun wedding.

  5. #145
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tralee
    Posts
    1,557
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    96
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    155
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    With Killarney Celtic poised to complete another local league and cup double this evening, it will be interesting to see what attitude their players would take towards a senior Kerry team - on the one hand, they would be realistic contenders for the FAI Junior Cup, which would be in full swing by next February, but on the other, they have long been frustrated by the protracted nature of the KDL fixture calendar, and high-profile First Division opposition would certainly be attractive to many of the squad. Either way, it's not a debate they'll have to consider for another 90-100 days.

  6. #146
    Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the gutter, but looking at the stars
    Posts
    11,425
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,708
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,289
    Thanked in
    1,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    The Kerry FC process of joining the league is a proper courtship, whereas Cabinteely's elevation was a shotgun wedding.
    But at the end of the day both end up f**ked?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

  7. #147
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,968
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    547
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    552
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    With Killarney Celtic poised to complete another local league and cup double this evening, it will be interesting to see what attitude their players would take towards a senior Kerry team - on the one hand, they would be realistic contenders for the FAI Junior Cup, which would be in full swing by next February, but on the other, they have long been frustrated by the protracted nature of the KDL fixture calendar, and high-profile First Division opposition would certainly be attractive to many of the squad. Either way, it's not a debate they'll have to consider for another 90-100 days.
    What sort of season is Kerry football playing, to be finishing up in August ?

  8. #148
    First Team JC_GUFC's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Magic City
    Posts
    1,731
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    54
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    123
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    With Killarney Celtic poised to complete another local league and cup double this evening, it will be interesting to see what attitude their players would take towards a senior Kerry team - on the one hand, they would be realistic contenders for the FAI Junior Cup, which would be in full swing by next February, but on the other, they have long been frustrated by the protracted nature of the KDL fixture calendar, and high-profile First Division opposition would certainly be attractive to many of the squad. Either way, it's not a debate they'll have to consider for another 90-100 days.
    Am I right in thinking they won the league with a 100% record?

    Some of the players will surely feel they want the challenge of League of Ireland.

    Kerry clubs tend to get to the QF at best of the Junior Cup if I’m not mistaken. Maybe if they’re a really good side they’d have a chance but there’s so much luck involved it would be very tough to win.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

  9. #149
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tralee
    Posts
    1,557
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    96
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    155
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Yes, they won all their games, and it's their fourth straight double. As for the season ending in August, the cup generally only gets started after the league ends, but fair to say that the calendar itself tends to be fairly chaotic, with clubs often giving walkovers or seeking postponements for spurious reasons at times.

  10. #150
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    125
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Yes, they won all their games, and it's their fourth straight double. As for the season ending in August, the cup generally only gets started after the league ends, but fair to say that the calendar itself tends to be fairly chaotic, with clubs often giving walkovers or seeking postponements for spurious reasons at times.
    When a team does the double four years on the trot you have to ask two questions
    1. Are they that good?
    Or
    2. Is the opposition that bad.

  11. #151
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    35,564
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,160
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,259
    Thanked in
    2,729 Posts
    Have they ever qualified for the FAI Cup? I don't remember them in it

  12. #152
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tralee
    Posts
    1,557
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    96
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    155
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    They did reach the Junior Cup semis in 2019-20, so presumably would have qualified for the 2020 edition had Covid not intervened.

  13. Thanks From:


  14. #153
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,968
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    547
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    552
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    When a team does the double four years on the trot you have to ask two questions
    1. Are they that good?
    Or
    2. Is the opposition that bad.
    In fairness, they can only beat whatever opposition is put in front of them.

    Though if they were much good on a national level, they'd have made progress in the national cup tournaments as well.

  15. #154
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    10
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    In fairness, they can only beat whatever opposition is put in front of them.

    Though if they were much good on a national level, they'd have made progress in the national cup tournaments as well.
    Killarney Celtic are a decent Junior side. Having walked the Kerry League the past number of years I think it will come down to the players either wanting to A) Play at a much higher level every week or spend their best years chasing the FAI Junior Cup.

    A player would go from 6-8 good games a year to 36. Each is to their own but any young ambitious player would surely try and get on the Kerry FC squad.

    Matt Keane made the move to Treaty to play LOI and they will see that and want to follow, IMO. They could well follow him to Kerry FC should he decide to play LOI with his own County.

  16. #155
    International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tallaght
    Posts
    5,016
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    498
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    625
    Thanked in
    391 Posts
    If it works out anything like Wexford Youths did, long term it'll probably make Killarney an even stronger junior side. North End United would have always been the big junior side in Wexford and had a few decent FAI junior runs, they probably suffered a bit when Youths was set up and took some players from them, but in recent years they've seen a lot pf players with League of Ireland experience coming back to them and they won the FAI Junior in 2018 and are consistently in the shakeup these days. The league of Ireland team brings players into the area as well as giving opportunities to locals and why they drop back to local leagues it raises standards there.

    Tallaght Stadium Regular

  17. #156
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,968
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    547
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    552
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    If it works out anything like Wexford Youths did, long term it'll probably make Killarney an even stronger junior side. North End United would have always been the big junior side in Wexford and had a few decent FAI junior runs, they probably suffered a bit when Youths was set up and took some players from them, but in recent years they've seen a lot pf players with League of Ireland experience coming back to them and they won the FAI Junior in 2018 and are consistently in the shakeup these days. The league of Ireland team brings players into the area as well as giving opportunities to locals and why they drop back to local leagues it raises standards there.
    Wexford have bucked the trend as a completely new LOI entity that hasn't disappeared (yet ?).

    How is the club funded these days ? Is Wallace no longer involved at all ? It's a shame the club hasn't managed to build up much of a support base in the town - but I guess always struggling near the bottom of the FD will do that to a club.

  18. #157
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    12,252
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,970
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,640
    Thanked in
    2,140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Wexford have bucked the trend as a completely new LOI entity that hasn't disappeared (yet ?).

    How is the club funded these days ? Is Wallace no longer involved at all ? It's a shame the club hasn't managed to build up much of a support base in the town - but I guess always struggling near the bottom of the FD will do that to a club.
    I'd say Wexford are unfortunate, similar to Longford, in that where their ground is located goes against them. It must be a 10km run out from the town to Ferrycarrig Park, especially with the last 2km or so out through the back roads.

    They've shown in the past that they can attract a steady crowd to games, and big crowds for one off games, but you can't help feeling the location kills any chance of a decent growth for them.

    Stand to be corrected on this as well, but I think Wallace is still a fairly primary sponsor of the club as opposed to directly involved anymore.

  19. #158
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tralee
    Posts
    1,557
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    96
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    155
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Wexford are largely run by their Supporters Trust, with local businesses and football clubs also asked recently to invest additional finances:

    https://wexfordfc.ie/latest-news/134...14th-july-2022

    Brian Ainscough is in charge of the administrative end of Kerry's bid, and has said that the financial backers will only be made public if/when a license is granted, which raises suspicions, but hopefully is only to avoid a repeat of the Irish Sea debacle.

  20. Thanks From:


  21. #159
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,968
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    547
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    552
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Wexford are largely run by their Supporters Trust, with local businesses and football clubs also asked recently to invest additional finances:

    https://wexfordfc.ie/latest-news/134...14th-july-2022

    Brian Ainscough is in charge of the administrative end of Kerry's bid, and has said that the financial backers will only be made public if/when a license is granted, which raises suspicions, but hopefully is only to avoid a repeat of the Irish Sea debacle.
    I think it's reasonable to respect their privacy if it doesn't come off. Otherwise any organisation in the town looking a few bob for something will know that there was a group of people prepared to invest in something for the area that didn't come off, and who therefore have available money kicking around (so cue the begging bowls). It's their money, so their right to stay private about it all. I'd be slightly more concerned if they wished to remain in the shadows even if the license bid succeeds (but again - it's their money).

  22. Thanks From:


  23. #160
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    9,017
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,338
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    618
    Thanked in
    524 Posts
    Wexfords sponsors Wallace we were talking about it at the game the other nite think its MWs Co that is in Temple Bar that is sponsoring them!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lim 37 vs Kerry - 21's
    By limfan in forum Limerick
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10/08/2007, 11:50 PM
  2. Kerry in the EL
    By Lim till i die in forum Limerick
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 21/10/2005, 6:19 PM
  3. Kerry
    By Kingdom in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13/07/2005, 9:00 PM
  4. Kerry 0 Ramblers 3
    By cookie in forum Cobh Ramblers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20/05/2004, 8:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •