Thread: Kerry FC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    More info from The Kerryman about the American backing for the plans:

https://www.independent.ie/regionals...-41714875.html
    Run if there is a suggestion that the new club be called Atlantic Ocean FC!

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    This is the shirt worn by the underage teams, so the senior club would presumably wear the same:

https://www.kerrydistrictleague.ie/w...te-768x960.jpg
    Decent shirt. Incorporating the Kerry GAA county colours would be wise IMO.

Though the crest on there look s a bit crap, so hopefully they'll have a new one.

I personally would prefer Tralee Dynamoes, as it would anchor the club more in a particular community and I think would realistically lose very little support vs a 'county' club. Though it would be a great to see a Kerry team nonetheless and I'd definitely head to see a game there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Decent shirt. Incorporating the Kerry GAA county colours would be wise IMO.

Though the crest on there look s a bit crap, so hopefully they'll have a new one.

I personally would prefer Tralee Dynamoes, as it would anchor the club more in a particular community and I think would realistically lose very little support vs a 'county' club. Though it would be a great to see a Kerry team nonetheless and I'd definitely head to see a game there.
    Your shout for Tralee Dynamos is understandable for an outsider. A club that is representative of the county is the right approach for Kerry. For another county or region it might be different.
    Carlow & Kilkenny and Cavan & Monaghan are Monaghan are probably examples of counties who can work together if they make an application to join the league of Ireland in the future. Lay the foundations at youth level and build up from there
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by listowelceltic View Post
    Hard to know on the crowds. When kerry u21s joined the eircom league there were roughly 1500 at opening game against Waterford in mounthhawk Park but attendances dropped after that and that was a good kerry team.
    Nesta you would know more about artificial pitches than I do but any game I've watched on them is dreadful with players struggling to control the ball.
    How long were they in the U21 league for, and when did they join the U17/U19s ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Would love to see a LOI team from Kerry competing-question is would there be a fanbase there, or the opportunity to build a fanbase? There's no point otherwise, imo.
    An away trip to Kerry... Jaysis you'd be banjo'ed on the bus with that journey!! 😁 🚌🍺🍺🍺

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Don't see any reason they couldn't build a fanbase. Tralee is bigger than the likes of Sligo, Athlone, Wexford or Castlebar. Ground isn't exactly town centre, but it's not Longford or Wexford distance out of town either.

If it's marketed properly from the start, there's no reason a ~1,000 average crowd couldn't be attainable straight off the bat.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Don't see any reason they couldn't build a fanbase. Tralee is bigger than the likes of Sligo, Athlone, Wexford or Castlebar. Ground isn't exactly town centre, but it's not Longford or Wexford distance out of town either.

If it's marketed properly from the start, there's no reason a ~1,000 average crowd couldn't be attainable straight off the bat.
    If they got 1,500 to their first U21 league game then that suggests that there is an appetite in the area. There would obviously need to be a lot of work done over a prolonged period of time to attrcat and retain supporters, but if you've got that to an underage game with presumably no away fans involved then it's definitely something to build on.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    There was a big crowd at Kildare County's first competitive game too - a 2-0 win (I think, from memory) against then League Cup holders Limerick in a First Division Shield game. The novelty of a first game isn't so relevant to the long-term potential of a club. I was in Mounthawk Park for a couple of Kerry League U-21 games against Limerick and there probably wasn't more than 20-30 people watching and, as someone else noted above, they had some handy enough sides back then too.

I'd be delighted to see them in the League though, Tralee Dynamoes should have been given a shot when they wanted in (with FC Carlow) and there's no doubt Kerry could be a place where senior football could establish a place. Best of luck to them anyway!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    The 1500 crowd is a realistic expectation of realistic potential. A community club for the county, with membership and a good relationship with the KDL, and all clubs is key.
    The local media are good at getting behind local teams. Any new club will target challenging for the playoffs after a couple of seasons.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    There was a big crowd at Kildare County's first competitive game too
    Ditto Cabinteely - didn't they beat Wexford at home in front of almost 1000 people in their first game I think?

If they end up being lower half of the First Division, the crowds will dwindle fairly quickly. It's the wrong way to go about bringing clubs into the league, but best of luck to them anyway. Sounds a decent away trip too.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Certainly, looking at how Athlone have struggled in the First this season, expectations will have to be realistic, but such is the set-up of the division that even finishing fifth gets you into a play-off, which mightn't be likely in the first season, but is something which can be targeted every second or third year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Wexford 6th and Bray 7th are still in contention for the playoffs. It at least keeps more teams actively involved, when 9th or 10th has no jeopardy at this time.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Interesting to listen to the Billy Dennehy interview on the LoI Central podcast - very realistic in accepting that First Division results could be fairly punishing initially if accepted, as they would be completely amateur at the beginning, but that the aim is to secure enough community backing that the club would be permanently self-sustaining:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcas...=1000565574709

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    A press conference will be held for the local media today at 4 - ironically, the two local papers are published on Wednesday and Thursday, meaning they will only have the details next week, but doubtless Kerry FC will cover it on its Twitter page. As well as KDL officials, the director of the League of Ireland and the facilities officer of the FAI will be in attendance, as will Brian Ainscough of Kerry FC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    A press conference will be held for the local media today at 4 - ironically, the two local papers are published on Wednesday and Thursday, meaning they will only have the details next week, but doubtless Kerry FC will cover it on its Twitter page. As well as KDL officials, the director of the League of Ireland and the facilities officer of the FAI will be in attendance, as will Brian Ainscough of Kerry FC.
    The local papers will have a few days to get all the details they need, before they are probably distracted with a match in Dublin on Sunday.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Will clubs local clubs in eg Castleisland, Killarney become feeder clubs for Kerry FC? Or will there be an integrated liason with all the local clubs for producing players etc. If they were to become established as a mid-table 1st Division side, they could draw crowds from parts of South and West Limerick that are closer to Tralee than Limerick City for potential new fans. Tralee's also a lovely town for a day trip. The Sligo of the Southwest. I really hope they are a success. Potential new rivalry with Treaty, another small, and relatively new club.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    Will clubs local clubs in eg Castleisland, Killarney become feeder clubs for Kerry FC? Or will there be an integrated liason with all the local clubs for producing players etc. If they were to become established as a mid-table 1st Division side, they could draw crowds from parts of South and West Limerick that are closer to Tralee than Limerick City for potential new fans. Tralee's also a lovely town for a day trip. The Sligo of the Southwest. I really hope they are a success. Potential new rivalry with Treaty, another small, and relatively new club.
    The Sligo of the Southwest - pfffft.

Football has always been big in Tralee. And Tralee people have always attended good, well-organised local sports events in numbers.

My only fear for Mounthawk is that its out of the town, and the facilities are ****e for the type of weather that seems to beat Tralee down with on 300+ days of the year.

My dream would be that at some stage they could use ASP as a home ground.

KDL jersey has always been nice. And the Kerry county crest - not to be confused with the GAA one - is lovely. It's ripe for a football jersey.
    If it's a local team, the crowds will be solid, and a local team that can perform decently will get good support. Just look at the numbers the tralee basketball side is bringing in, consistently, through a good venue, great events team and sensible policies.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    There was a change in procedure with the underage teams this year, as they had been under the control of the Kerry Schoolboys League up until now, but the KDL itself then took over the administration. As for how the adult team would work, one would imagine there would be a open trial for the first season, inviting interested players from around the county to participate - the KDL have said that the option will be there for everyone to choose either national or purely recreational football, so more along the lines of the liaison option, I suspect. As you say, they'll need to attract support from all over the county to be sustainable in the medium to long term, but there already appears to be buy-in from the individual clubs, which seems the toughest hurdle in that regard.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    The Sligo of the Southwest - pfffft.

Football has always been big in Tralee. And Tralee people have always attended good, well-organised local sports events in numbers.

My only fear for Mounthawk is that its out of the town, and the facilities are ****e for the type of weather that seems to beat Tralee down with on 300+ days of the year.

My dream would be that at some stage they could use ASP as a home ground.

KDL jersey has always been nice. And the Kerry county crest - not to be confused with the GAA one - is lovely. It's ripe for a football jersey.
    If it's a local team, the crowds will be solid, and a local team that can perform decently will get good support. Just look at the numbers the tralee basketball side is bringing in, consistently, through a good venue, great events team and sensible policies.
    I was being slightly facetious about the Sligo comment, though I think both are lovely towns.
    Kerry get's as much wind and rain as Galway does, so I can see that argument. Is it very far from the town centre, Mounthawk?
    Speaking of ASP, that'd be a great venue long-term. Right in the heart of the town.

26. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Certainly not as central as ASP, about 1-2 miles out from the town centre, on the outskirts really, but Mounthawk is the main approach point of the roads from Fenit, Ardfert, Ballyheigue (first two have become commuter villages to Tralee, and the last in North Kerry), which lessens the risk of it becoming a Tralee-only affair.

28. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast