Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Armenia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 4th June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Its fancy new coaching speak. Kenny is a nightmare for it. My other favorite new one is the midfield "pivot".

I remember years back Jack Charlton was talking about how FIFA had started using the phrase "pressing". He was very annoyed about it, said thats what I invented and we just called it putting them under pressure.

I now finally understand his anger!!!
    It should have been called “ “ Jack Pressure “ “ or maybe “ “ Under the Jack “ "

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Its fancy new coaching speak. Kenny is a nightmare for it. My other favorite new one is the midfield "pivot".

I remember years back Jack Charlton was talking about how FIFA had started using the phrase "pressing". He was very annoyed about it, said thats what I invented and we just called it putting them under pressure.

I now finally understand his anger!!!
    pressing in this day and age is wholly different to what big jack did though. i wouldnt call that pressing at all tbh.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    pressing in this day and age is wholly different to what big jack did though. i wouldnt call that pressing at all tbh.
    Is it though? I keep hearing that Ronaldo doesnt work at United because he doesnt press enough (nonsense arguement btw). Jack used to pick the likes of Tommy Coyne just so he could press from the front

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    How would you term it so ?
    It was not allowing the other team time to settle, pick a pass, get in to a rhythm in possession, and force them to give it away or hit it out of play. So if it wasn't pressing, what was it ?
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Is it though? I keep hearing that Ronaldo doesnt work at United because he doesnt press enough (nonsense arguement btw). Jack used to pick the likes of Tommy Coyne just so he could press from the front
    It wasn't pressing at all. It was a high block.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    It wasn't pressing at all. It was a high block.

How do I block someone on here!!!!!

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Talbot and Mandriou on the standby list, but not Jack Byrne, who's injured.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...tions-27091266

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Setting aside rights and wrongs of pretentious neologisms like 'low block', the main point stands. I do think we lack that little bit of guile and invention in our midfield and attack that you need in order to overcome teams who set up to defend deep. This was amply exposed in our laboured and plodding performance against a dreadful Lithuania side.

In the squad named by Kenny there was a conspicuous absence of any player that could in any way even loosely be described as a playmaker.

I assume Ronan, like Byrne, is injured. But I do find it strange that he failed to find room for Sykes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Setting aside rights and wrongs of pretentious neologisms like 'low block', the main point stands. I do think we lack that little bit of guile and invention in our midfield and attack that you need in order to overcome teams who set up to defend deep. This was amply exposed in our laboured and plodding performance against a dreadful Lithuania side.

In the squad named by Kenny there was a conspicuous absence of any player that could in any way even loosely be described as a playmaker.

I assume Ronan, like Byrne, is injured. But I do find it strange that he failed to find room for Sykes.
    There is a chance that Sykes is injured. He did miss out on the square for his club’s last game of the season, for whatever reason

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    There could be a fitness issue but I think Karl Robinson made it pretty clear that Sykes was left out of Oxford's final game dead rubber because he was due to leave and the manager wanted to look at other options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Or even better “double pivot”.

Most football terminology/commentator speak drives me up the wall. Phrases which should be banned are “Two banks of four” “Get in behind” “Played it into an area.” I’m sure there’s more, but that’s just off the top of my head.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Jaysus, some of ye are easily annoyed. Football speak is full of clichés, and always has been. What harm that people have a slightly more complex jargon available to them than "the Teddy Sherringham role"? Their meaning is clear enough if you pay any attention at all. I'm sure your grandad was yelling at a cloud about the terms "back four" and "midfield". Any formation after the WM is the tool of the devil. In my day, a playmaker got 45 minutes and 85 rods to the Melton Mobray pork pie, and that's the way I likes it darn it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Facing criticism of his goal return rate in his early Ireland games Aldo once said "we work so hard upfront my legs are worn to stumps".

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Any guesses/preferences on line up?

Baz
    Collins
    Duffy
    Egan
    Christie
    Cullen
    Hendrick
    McClean
    Ogbene
    Obafemi
    Robbo

though you'd have to think he'll find a spot for Coleman (possibly back 3 instead of RWB). I know that Lampard loves him but he had some awful appearances for Everton in the last stretch. At least 3-4 bad mistakes in the last 3 games. I fear that he is done at this level, as a top player, but we definitely need his leadership and personality.

21. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Baz
    Collins
    Duffy
    Egan
    Christie
    Cullen
    Hendrick
    McClean
    Ogbene
    Obafemi
    Robbo

though you'd have to think he'll find a spot for Coleman (possibly back 3 instead of RWB). I know that Lampard loves him but he had some awful appearances for Everton in the last stretch. At least 3-4 bad mistakes in the last 3 games. I fear that he is done at this level, as a top player, but we definitely need his leadership and personality.

Cullen suspended for first game, hoping Knight/Molumby might play CM.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Facing criticism of his goal return rate in his early Ireland games Aldo once said "we work so hard upfront my legs are worn to stumps".
    In fairness to Aldo ~ ~ He was willing to do that while being at Liverpool ( playing at the top level ) ~ ~ There would be some that wouldn’t be willing to do it playing at that club level. They might think it was Not for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gally View Post
    Cullen suspended for first game, hoping Knight/Molumby might play CM.
    Knight looks our brightest midfield prospect to me and I think he should be starting. Touch of quality about him on the ball.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I'm still wondering how to balance the squad out over four end-of-season games.

Armenia should be the easiest game of the four, but if we don't win it then we've really set ourselves up for a crap campaign. So do you go full strength to win this game, knowing that means you'll probably need to rotate the squad in the harder games? Or do you field a slightly weaker team here and keep some of the others back for the harder games, but in doing so increase the risk of slipping on the banana skin? (We saw how the Lithuania game went, and these are a good bit higher-ranked).

If Coleman's form is starting to drop at PL level, I'd have him in for this one. Similarly McClean is hardly going to start all four games so you've got to choose which ones he plays. Does Obafemi want to play all four with his injury worries? He seems half decent, so while it'd be great to tie him right from the outset, I'd keep him back for the other games. Hamilton might be a bit of a risk against Ukraine/Scotland, but so do you start him here?

Probably similar calls all around the park. I don't envy Kenny plotting out the week tbh.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Knight looks our brightest midfield prospect to me and I think he should be starting. Touch of quality about him on the ball.
    He is class. Kenny had been playing him in one of the three front roles though which is why i left him out as i would love to (selfishly) see that front 3 get some time together against Armenia!

I dont see him as like for like for the suspended Cullen - but could be wrong there. Not sure we have a totally natural replacement for Cullen actually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I'm still wondering how to balance the squad out over four end-of-season games.

Armenia should be the easiest game of the four, but if we don't win it then we've really set ourselves up for a crap campaign. So do you go full strength to win this game, knowing that means you'll probably need to rotate the squad in the harder games? Or do you field a slightly weaker team here and keep some of the others back for the harder games, but in doing so increase the risk of slipping on the banana skin? (We saw how the Lithuania game went, and these are a good bit higher-ranked).

If Coleman's form is starting to drop at PL level, I'd have him in for this one. Similarly McClean is hardly going to start all four games so you've got to choose which ones he plays. Does Obafemi want to play all four with his injury worries? He seems half decent, so while it'd be great to tie him right from the outset, I'd keep him back for the other games. Hamilton might be a bit of a risk against Ukraine/Scotland, but so do you start him here?

Probably similar calls all around the park. I don't envy Kenny plotting out the week tbh.
    Good points all round. Re: Coleman, i was thinking this might be the one to allow Billy Ray to get his international bearings again.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast