Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Armenia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 4th June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    Completely rotten performance in the final third. Totally devoid of ideas, far too slow in possession, no urgency at all, and I'm not sure how Stephen Kelly saw fit to give Ogbene MOTM, I thought he was very poor, as was everyone in attack.

Collins and Hendrick the only real positives out of the game, and even perhaps worth pointing a finger at Hendrick for not closing down the shot for the goal alongside Coleman, both backed away from the player allowing space for a shot.

Very very disappointing.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,248 Posts
    Have to say I'm surprised by that result and performance. Expected it wouldn't be straightforward, but we deserved to lose.

The unbeaten run recently has papered over a few cracks and this is probably a bit of regression to mean.

We're solid defensively - the 30-yarder has long been a weakness of ours - but up front we offered nothing. Obafemi did nothing when he came on; it's harsh to say he was disappointing as he only had 25 minutes but I had hoped he'd have some impact.

Robinson was poor and his six-goal salvo last autumn is in the past now I think.

Are we too predictable or just not good enough? We had lots of the ball, lots of openings, but barely forced a save.

Very disappointing overall. Armenia lost their last match 9-0, and while we don't have Haaland and they didn't have a lad sent off, you have to think we shouldn't be losing...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It's actually exactly the goal I was thinking of alright

I'll stand by my comment at the start of this though - if we lose, it won't be because of the keeper. It'll be the other end that's the problem. And we've really not worked their keeper at all.

Their last game was a 9-0 defeat in Norway...
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    That was painful. First half was near enough exactly how you’d want us to play in those games. Really comfortable, got in behind them and created some genuine chances.

Second half was a nervous, shapeless mess. Kenny has to take criticism for that. Changes all came too late and none of them made an impact (and Obafemi looked like the player we saw at under 21 level where the ball just bounced off him and he did very little otherwise).

I think criticism of Cullen is not really justified. He’s not word class or anything but he’s miles ahead of our other options there. He can’t cover al the space on his own. Needs either a forward coming back or a centre back stepping out to help him of that’s our go to shape.

I’d agree with Ogbene as man of the match, but at the same time he missed our best chances and put in some poor enough balls. He was the only one who really looked like scoring or creating though.
    Ogbene wasn't best player. Hendrick was very good and Cullen, said we didn't take our chances, a screamer was for Kenny I took it as a friendly, but we need other personnel up front ogbene is better on the right than as 9 , if we had scored we would have won it by 4 goals,

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

I'll stand by my comment at the start of this though - if we lose, it won't be because of the keeper. It'll be the other end that's the problem. And we've really not worked their keeper at all.

Have to say I'm surprised by that result and performance. Expected it wouldn't be straightforward, but we deserved to lose.

The unbeaten run recently has papered over a few cracks and this is probably a bit of regression to mean.

We're solid defensively - the 30-yarder has long been a weakness of ours - but up front we offered nothing. Obafemi did nothing when he came on; it's harsh to say he was disappointing as he only had 25 minutes but I had hoped he'd have some impact.

Robinson was poor and his six-goal salvo last autumn is in the past now I think.

Are we too predictable or just not good enough? We had lots of the ball, lots of openings, but barely forced a save.

Very disappointing overall. Armenia lost their last match 9-0, and while we don't have Haaland and they didn't have a lad sent off, you have to think we shouldn't be losing...
    We are a bit predictable up front, Kenny has sorted out defence and midfield has improved. Kids must play now I say, up front and Parrott should play as 10. He is wasted on the sides.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    859 Posts
    That was sh1te.

Kenny's biggest weakness is against teams that sit back in numbers. We were awful in 2nd half. So disappointing. Subs made zero impact. Obafemi in particular was terrible, he couldn't even control the ball.

In games like that we are lacking a bit of guile to open up a packed defense. We don't have the skillful winger like Duff or the creative 10 like Wes. It's all very samey. All the possession in the world is pointless if you create nothing. We should have at least had more shots from distance.

We'll do well I'm sure on Wednesday but that result is a sickener.

6. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

We need a 9 to fight the center backs, Robinson nor Ogbene nor Parrott nor Obafemi are that player. We are missing that player who can cause havoc,

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Difficult for anyone to defend this latest national embarrassment. Humiliation heaped atop humiliation. Kenny's been in charge for over two years now and today's 'performance' again shows that we've made little appreciable progress in all that time.

No doubt people will bring up possession stats, but this is a game we should have won, even if it meant grinding a result out without playing well.

Kenny's been given enormous latitude by fans and media, far more so than any manager has as far back as I can remember, but he's taken all that good will and largely wasted it.

Guys like Mick and Kerr must be looking on utterly dumbfounded at the sort of stuff Kenny can seemingly get away with time and again.

I'm really not sure where we go to from here. A moral victory (draw) against the Ukraine, maybe. But then what? It's all so depressing.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 04/06/2022 at 3:16 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Really disappointed in that result but especially the second half performance. Whether the heat and end of season had anything to do with how we faded is neither here nor there, it just wasn’t what it should have been all round. Did SK take his eye off the ball and had them looking at this as a gimme? It was so uninspired.

I was happy after the first half but when you see Collins sloppiness on 3-4 occasions in the first 45 you know that it’s going to be one of those nights. Harsh but I think Coleman is done as a RWB and Stevens was very poor. Thought Parrott and Ogbene showed well, Robbo had a bad night. Hard to judge Kelleher, beaten by a screamer, beaten another time but otherwise untested. On the subs, Obafemi ****ed me off didn’t look like he wanted to work too hard. Knight didn’t make the impression he could have. McClean, Browne and Keane were as expected.

If the last 6-8 games was two steps forward, this was definitely one step back. The big test here is how they and the management team respond against Ukraine and Scotland. 5-7 points please Kenny.

11. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    We need a Frank Stapleton who was more of a runner at his prime, good header and good at his feet similar to Parrott.
    We need an Aldo, Quinn a Tommy Coyne, as 9 to put them under pressure.

Will Keane seems a bit like Tony Cascarino

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Atleast when we concede we only concede crackers…

I had a bad feeling when we weren’t putting the chances away how this was going to go, would be nice if we scored the cracker for a change, it’s boring when it’s always our opposition…

The one thing I will say is we will have more space against Ukraine & Scotland, simply put Kenny simply has to win both these matches to put any gloss over this result as while it had upset written all over it there really isn’t an excuse, we aren’t playing a world class side and we should be putting these teams away one way or another, it doesn’t need to be 9-0.

It does have to be said against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan at home we struggled massively as they put 11 men behind the ball and we couldn’t break them down but when we played Serbia and Portugal we actually played quite well so I wouldn’t put it past us getting some good results over this window and at this rate Kenny NEEDS it as he will have a hard time riding out this loss if the rest of the window goes to ****, it must also be said Portugal and Serbia are (on paper atleast) a lot better than Ukraine and Scotland so if we were able to put it up to them somewhat hopeful we can do likewise in the coming games.

Just hope to god the Ukraine that comes to Dublin is an emotionally drained Ukraine and not the one that showed up in Hampdon otherwise were in a lot of trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    The big test here is how they and the management team respond against Ukraine and Scotland. 5-7 points please Kenny.
    Ooh, that's optimistic, isn't it?

I know they'll attack more and present a different challenge, but still and all...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Prior to the window I would have said 7 points was a good outcome from the 4 matches

Beat Armenia and one of Scotland/Ukraine at home, draw the other and then have a free hit away to Ukraine. Now I think we must win both home games and get a point in Lodz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts

I know they'll attack more and present a different challenge, but still and all...
    It’s what he needs to provide after todays result and performance.

17. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

Logically it would be harder but at the same time we saw this pattern in the WCQ in how we went versus Serbia and Portugal in comparison to Azerbaijan and Luxembourg.

I think if Kenny can get 7 points in the remaining games we can put the Armenia game behind us as tbh 7 points was probably our realistic goal anyway this window.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    It’s what he needs to provide after todays result and performance.
    Fairy nuff. Hard to argue against that really. I just don't see it happening.

We're in relegation trouble again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Stephen Kenny should be given the boot. If beating Qatar, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Luxembourg and Andorra excites you then you must have incredibly low standards. Nice guy but he just doesn't have it. He has been given more time than any other Irish manager before him mainly because of the FAI's finances and because LOI diehards want to see one of their own in charge. However, it's beyond obvious at this stage that we are going absolutely nowhere under him. The sooner he gets shown the door the better.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 04/06/2022 at 3:32 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    The result was lacking. We should blame ourselves for not scoring, I don't think Ogbene nor Obafemi are the under as 9. Coleman was very good defensively, at some point I would bring Keane for Collins and Coleman as right center back, Kenny thought the game was done and the goal was coming, the screamer was a gift for Mr Kenny.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    2nd half we weren't so dominant, the Parrott substitution didn't work out. I would have taken Collins off for a 9 , Kenny wasn't so brave and got pegged back a LA Azerbaijan

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Fairy nuff. Hard to argue against that really. I just don't see it happening.

We're in relegation trouble again.
    I don’t either but think it’s needed, I don’t think it’s impossible, While at the moment Ukraine and Scotland are better than us they aren’t great sides and if we play like we didn’t versus Portugal or Serbia we have a shot of winning either game albeit it won’t be easy. Thankfully we have Ukraine 2 days after the WC play off so they may be drained and we might have a shot of catching them cold.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    859 Posts
    The problem is all Kenny's poor results are coming against low ranked teams because they sit back in numbers and we struggle to break that down. It's happening again and again and he's not learning from it. Rather than just changing the players we need to make adjustments to the shape in games like that.

3 front players with 2 wide and 1 through the middle doesn't work because there's no space in behind. Adjust it to a front 2 with Parrott or Knight playing as a 10.

We just kept doing same over and over

25. Thanks From:

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast