Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Armenia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 4th June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    I think with Cullen it's a case of if he's available you play him. The drop off from him to the next best option in his position (Hourihane?) is too big to justify leaving him out.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I think with Cullen it's a case of if he's available you play him. The drop off from him to the next best option in his position (Hourihane?) is too big to justify leaving him out.
    I agree, I think Cullen is the most important player in the squad when you look at the options to replace him

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    That's good news but my favourite part is the idea of Obafemi playing through the middle. I've got really high hopes for him -- genuinely lethal pace and has shown recently he can be clinical as well.
    Really looking forward to seeing him as well (although there's always the possibility that he may take a few games to settle in) - just to show how good his recent run was - it led to him being joint-fourteenth top scorer, which sounds alright, but it looks even better when you realise that his goals per 90 minutes over the season was fifth-highest and was probably second only to Mitrovic over the last few months

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Looks like Cullen has been cleared to play by UEFA on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/KennysKids/statu...E3E2Qs6TKNUeEg
    What's happened there? He's either suspended or he isn't surely? You don't get dispensation 48 hours before a game.

Not a complaint mind; just seems strange

Edit - to answer my own question, he was suspended for a Nations League game because of two yellows in WC qualifying, which is a different tournament entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Indo article
    Kenny isn’t entirely sure what prompted the turnaround and FAI officials suspect FIFA incorrectly interpreted Cullen’s situation as a red card, as his bookings both came against Luxembourg (in two different games).
    Unusual error for FIFA to have made given there was nine months between the two games

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-41715774.html
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 03/06/2022 at 6:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    that cullen news is a big boost in saying that is it a stretch to expect him to play 4 games? he is our most important player alright but 4 games in that space of time seems like a big ask. obafemi is an interesting one, i wouldnt be shocked to see him on the bench tomorrow and start the other games. kenny says hes improved with his back to goal but i wonder would kenny prefer robbo up top given armenia will likely sit off us, hes decent at drawing defenders out who want to sit in. wouldnt be against obafemi starting but i think the other games will suit him better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Gotta start Obafemi. Just get him on the field ASAP to put any rumours to bed about a potential switch and move on. He’s earned a start IMO given his excellent club form — need to get him properly integrated with Kenny’s system, this work should have already been under way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    I don't think he's going to run away between the Armenia and Ukraine games in fairness.

I'd prioritise him for the games against good teams. Maybe bring him off the bench if tomorrow isn't going well (like against Lithuania or away to Luxembourg)

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I do think that Robinson and Knight off Obafemi would be a nicely balanced forward line. Great pace ahead of the ball in Obafemi. Great pace behind the ball in Knight. Robinson able to pick up pockets and create chances for himself and others.

My issue there is I don't fancy dropping Ogbene. The beauty of this break is, however, that there are 4 games. So there is ample opportunity to try out these combos because players can't play every game. We have variations like that up front. Molumby, Hendrick and Cullen should see plenty of each other in midfield. O'Shea, Collins, Egan, Duffy and Coleman at the back. Lenihan needs a look. Is it just Christie and Coleman for right wing back? Festy? A few things like that would be nice. Hogan, Keane and Hourihane I'm not all that fussed on seeing, however. Browne and Manning I have my doubts over.

On that point, the squad is gaining more depth at last. Doherty, Idah, Omobamidele to come in. Dunne, Ronan, Sykes are capable of pressurizing some of the lads there.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    I don't think we'll see as much rotation as people maybe think, I don't see why someone like Cullen or Knight at their ages couldn't play the four games.

Different for the likes of Coleman who will probably need to be rotated in and out, but most of the younger lads should be fine here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Gotta start Obafemi. Just get him on the field ASAP to put any rumours to bed about a potential switch and move on. He’s earned a start IMO given his excellent club form — need to get him properly integrated with Kenny’s system, this work should have already been under way.
    I don’t think he’ll start. I do expect to see him come off the bench though.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    I don't think we'll see as much rotation as people maybe think, I don't see why someone like Cullen or Knight at their ages couldn't play the four games.

Different for the likes of Coleman who will probably need to be rotated in and out, but most of the younger lads should be fine here.
    I wouldn't underestimate the June factor. A lot of guys coming off the end of long hard seasons and if nothing else, their clubs may not want them playing four more games in June.

There was a stat after the CL final that Spanish clubs have won the last 17 European finals they've played against non-Spanish sides - La Liga just isn't as competitive as the Premier League/Championship and so Spanish sides' players are markedly fresher coming towards the end of the season.

I don't think everyone in the squad is going to get a start, but I could easily see the entire starting trio tomorrow sitting out one of the other games for example.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    I think it's going to have to be a case of rotation or early use of subs, and from what we know of Kenny he's very reluctant to use subs early in competitive games. The midfield, wing back and forward positions are all a big ask to play 4 games close together and with some significant travel involved which will impact recovery.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I think teh LWB is the only position up for garbs (Also maybe Oshea for Collins, but I doubt it)

I think he will go with Baz, Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Collins, Manning, Jeff, Cullen, Robinson, Ogbene, Knight

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I wouldn't underestimate the June factor. A lot of guys coming off the end of long hard seasons and if nothing else, their clubs may not want them playing four more games in June.

There was a stat after the CL final that Spanish clubs have won the last 17 European finals they've played against non-Spanish sides - La Liga just isn't as competitive as the Premier League/Championship and so Spanish sides' players are markedly fresher coming towards the end of the season.

I don't think everyone in the squad is going to get a start, but I could easily see the entire starting trio tomorrow sitting out one of the other games for example.
    Clubs wouldn't want them playing at all if they could avoid it, but they can't really have much of a say here. These are competitive games so the associations have first call here. It doesn't matter whether the games are played in September, November, March, June, whenever, it's always the wrong time according to the clubs. Some of our lads - Collins, Duffy, Hendrick etc. haven't exactly been overworked during the season just finished either.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I do think that Robinson and Knight off Obafemi would be a nicely balanced forward line. Great pace ahead of the ball in Obafemi. Great pace behind the ball in Knight. Robinson able to pick up pockets and create chances for himself and others.

My issue there is I don't fancy dropping Ogbene. The beauty of this break is, however, that there are 4 games. So there is ample opportunity to try out these combos because players can't play every game. We have variations like that up front. Molumby, Hendrick and Cullen should see plenty of each other in midfield. O'Shea, Collins, Egan, Duffy and Coleman at the back. Lenihan needs a look. Is it just Christie and Coleman for right wing back? Festy? A few things like that would be nice. Hogan, Keane and Hourihane I'm not all that fussed on seeing, however. Browne and Manning I have my doubts over.

On that point, the squad is gaining more depth at last. Doherty, Idah, Omobamidele to come in. Dunne, Ronan, Sykes are capable of pressurizing some of the lads there.
    Yeah was thinking about the front three last night after Kenny's comments about Obafemi viewed as a CF rather than a wide forward and if you were to stick him in at CF who would partner him. Had the same thoughts that Knight and Robinson would probably work best but find it hard to justify Ogbene not starting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Some of our lads - Collins, Duffy, Hendrick etc. haven't exactly been overworked during the season just finished either.
    Some haven't, but more of them have. It definitely takes its toll.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Yeah was thinking about the front three last night after Kenny's comments about Obafemi viewed as a CF rather than a wide forward and if you were to stick him in at CF who would partner him. Had the same thoughts that Knight and Robinson would probably work best but find it hard to justify Ogbene not starting.
    The really radical approach would be to play Ogbene and Festy as wingbacks, Knight in midfield, Parrott behind Obafemi and Robinson to play in pockets and link the play. It would be a very radical statement of intent about our future identity and also accommodate many of the players who we currently see as having a long term future in the team. Put in Cullen and maybe Coleman as captain at right CB with Collins and Egan. It’s obviously risky and not going to happen, but I’d love to see a team with kind of pace and fluidity.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I don't see the point in playing Ogbene wing back. He played there for much of the season at club level but they came around to Kenny's way of thinking and put him in the forwards. I hope he stays there to maximize his impact there for the future.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    The really radical approach would be to play Ogbene and Festy as wingbacks, Knight in midfield, Parrott behind Obafemi and Robinson to play in pockets and link the play. It would be a very radical statement of intent about our future identity and also accommodate many of the players who we currently see as having a long term future in the team. Put in Cullen and maybe Coleman as captain at right CB with Collins and Egan. It’s obviously risky and not going to happen, but I’d love to see a team with kind of pace and fluidity.
    Jesus, that's some team:

Bazunu

Ogbene
    Coleman
    Collins
    Egan
    Ebosele

Cullen
    Knight

Robinson
    Obafemi
    Parrott

I'd admire your ambition to get 6 attacking players into the side. I suspect it'd all come to pieces but I admire the effort.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Ogbene is wasted at wingback and Rotherham got away with playing him there in league one because defensively they were the strongest team and could cover him defensively. Didn't have to commit as strongly in defensive but when he did come back and end up with the ball he was recieving it too deep rather than being in the final third of the pitch where he could try get in behind the defence.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast