Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Armenia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 4th June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Any guesses/preferences on line up?

Baz
    Collins
    Duffy
    Egan
    Christie
    Cullen
    Hendrick
    McClean
    Ogbene
    Obafemi
    Robbo

though you'd have to think he'll find a spot for Coleman (possibly back 3 instead of RWB). I know that Lampard loves him but he had some awful appearances for Everton in the last stretch. At least 3-4 bad mistakes in the last 3 games. I fear that he is done at this level, as a top player, but we definitely need his leadership and personality.
    Only way Christie is starting ahead of Coleman is if Kenny wants to have him fully fit for the two home games. We saw how the three games in a single window affected our squad so we'll have to do some rotation. Probably a bit of luck that Cullen can't play the first game so, even if it's a ridiculous decision that two yellows can rule you out for a game 8 months later in a completely different competition.

Bazunu
    Collins - Duffy - Egan
    Coleman - Hendrick - Hourihane - ???
    Ogbene - Robinson - Knight

It's more than likely gonna be the team that started against Belgium with Coleman replacing Doherty, Collins in at RCB, and Hourihane replacing Cullen. Hourihane has started the last two friendlies Cullen hasn't, and while long term the position Hendrick plays will probably be Knights I wouldn't be moving him from the front three even with Cullen out.

As for LWB, Kenny has said both lads are coming in with injuries, and I think it's gonna come down to whoever is fittest come the first game and they'll rotate both lads each game. Coleman also came in with a groin twinge though Kenny said he'll be alright for Armenia.
    Last edited by JR89; 30/05/2022 at 8:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    As for LWB, Kenny has said both lads are coming in with injuries, and I think it's gonna come down to whoever is fittest come the first game and they'll rotate both lads each game.
    Manning might be in with a shout for the first game to give the other two more time to get right for the bigger games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Manning might be in with a shout for the first game to give the other two more time to get right for the bigger games.
    Both lads have been training with the rest of the squad so look ready to go but Manning already being in the squad Kenny has his concerns about one or both even seeing out the window without picking up injuries. And I'd say that's Manning's best chance of seeing any minutes.

I'm certain the other times he was called up with McClean and Stevens also in the squad we only named 3/4 CBs and had him in as fifth choice given he was playing their for Swansea.

Hopefully next season Bagan further pushes on and Adaramola can make a breakthrough at club level or get a loan. Need one of these young lads breaking into the squad over the next 18 months.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    The DM is a big question for teh Armenia game. We have relied on Josh Cullen and he has been great
    He isn't around on Saturday and I'm not sure we have a replacement. Jeff will start but will he go with Conor Hourihane who isnt very good or try Knight there. which might open a spot for Ofafemi in the attacking three.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Molumby surely? He's not the most mobile player, but he can sit deep and spray the ball around
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Molumby surely? He's not the most mobile player, but he can sit deep and spray the ball around
    He hasn't been good for us at senior level. I would say kenny would be afraid to throw him in

He was a complete lunatic in some of the games I saw, fouls galore and and running around out of position

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    544 Posts
    not sure i'd start Jeff. Since the last international break, he's played a total of 68 minutes of football and was unused in 7 of 8 games.

I think our best midfield pairing is by far Cullen and Hendrick right now and I'd love to have them starting together for the last 3 games. Give him 30 minutes off the bench against Armenia, 60-70 minutes against Ukraine and see how he is for the Scotland game.

We should have enough about us to get past Armenia with two of Molumby, Hourihane and Knight in those holding roles. For arguments sake:

Bazunu

Coleman
    Egan
    Duffy
    Collins
    McClean

Knight
    Molumby

Ogbene
    Obafemi
    Robinson

You'd worry about Coleman playing too many games, with Christie not really involved much so far under Kenny, but I don't think you'd want to remove too much experience from the side

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    not sure i'd start Jeff. Since the last international break, he's played a total of 68 minutes of football and was unused in 7 of 8 games.

I think our best midfield pairing is by far Cullen and Hendrick right now and I'd love to have them starting together for the last 3 games. Give him 30 minutes off the bench against Armenia, 60-70 minutes against Ukraine and see how he is for the Scotland game.

We should have enough about us to get past Armenia with two of Molumby, Hourihane and Knight in those holding roles. For arguments sake:

Bazunu

Coleman
    Egan
    Duffy
    Collins
    McClean

Knight
    Molumby

Ogbene
    Obafemi
    Robinson

You'd worry about Coleman playing too many games, with Christie not really involved much so far under Kenny, but I don't think you'd want to remove too much experience from the side
    The Jeff situation is unusual, he hasn't been playing for his club for quite some time, including in the last two or three international windows, but amazingly he has been excellent.
    So I would be shocked if he was dropped

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    hendrick has been excellent needs the minutes so i see no reason to drop him here. hourihane/molumby in the 6 dont know who he'll go for.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    There's going to have to be a decent amount of rotation, I can't see much more than the keeper and maybe one or two centre backs playing all 4 games. If there's a few carrying knocks coming in then it makes no sense to start them in the Armenia game. Probably no harm this is the game Cullen is suspended for, he'll be needed more in the other games and should be ok to start the three of them. I'd say Christie and Molumby have a good chance to start. I wouldn't be surprised to see Manning here ahead of McClean, I think McClean is the one they'll want to have fully fit for the later games so won't risk, although Stevens is back now too and would be ahead of them both if he's fit enough. Ogbene and Ebosele offer some versatility, both have played at wing back on a regular basis at club level so might be able to do a job at certain stages if called on. Obafemi seems most likely to get a run among the new forwards in the squad and Armenia might be the right game to do it. I think Hamilton and Ebosele are most likely players in the squad to see no game time. Kenny likes Molumby and I think he might get in for the Armenia game. He had a good end to the season at club level and offers a lot more dynamism, although it's probably at the expense of some shape and organisation compared to the safer option of Hourihane.

For Armenia I think we might see;
    Bazunu

Christie
    Duffy
    Egan
    O'Shea
    Manning

Molumby
    Hendrick

Ogbene
    Obafemi
    Knight

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    I would go with this.

Bazunu

coleman
    Duffy
    Egan
    collins
    Manning

Knight
    Hendrick

Ogbene
    Obafemi
    Robinson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    I don't think he'll play Knight and Hendrick at the same time unless Knight is among the front 3. Hourihane, as unfashionable as he is here, is probably the safer bet.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Knight would be wasted playing deeper in midfield, and we haven't looked good whenever we play with three actual forwards rather than a Knight or McGrath as one of the three. We don't have the midfield two to get away with playing three forwards.

Hourihane mostly likely will start since he started against Lithuania and Molumby didn't play a single minute that window. Could feel Molumby offers more energy in midfield but Knight would be there to drop in and help out if Hourihane starts.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I'd be shocked if Knight plays at the base of midfield. Playing him further forward is what allowed us to play two against Belgium. His pressing, his availability for the ball and general movement all are serious helps to us, and that is going forward- going backwards he shows immense effort too.

That's not to say he might not end up there or play there in the future. He may well do in another formation or if there is a player like him that can play further forward in his present position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    dont think knight has many of the attributes needed to play in that position at the base of midfield. kenny seems to like going 343 vs "weaker" nations id expect him to line out like that saturday, games tend to be a bit more open.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I think Molumby played well in the last few games of the season for West Brom so he'd be my choice. I think that Kenny will pick Hourihane though. Hendrick has been excellent for us so I think there is no doubt that he plays regardless of how his club situation went recently.

We really need the likes of Coventry, Kilkenny and Smallbone to kick on sooner rather than later to give us better options. If you could replace Browne and Hourihane with 2 of those lads the midfield options would start looking better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Looks like Cullen has been cleared to play by UEFA on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/KennysKids/statu...E3E2Qs6TKNUeEg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Looks like Cullen has been cleared to play by UEFA on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/KennysKids/statu...E3E2Qs6TKNUeEg
    That's good news but my favourite part is the idea of Obafemi playing through the middle. I've got really high hopes for him -- genuinely lethal pace and has shown recently he can be clinical as well.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    743 Posts
    Starting Obafemi at centre forward would be interesting. But would likely mean either Robinson or Ogbene being dropped as Knight will surely start in one of the three attacking positions to help out the midfield. Probably Robinson dropping out in that case.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Great news that Cullen has been cleared to play, but is there an argument not to start him anyway? With 4 games in such a short space of time its hard to imagine any player will play every game and Armenia might be the 1 game we can rotate more.

Ukraine have 5 games in 2 weeks so they could be knackered by the last game too
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 02/06/2022 at 10:39 PM.

22. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast