Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Weekend games Thursday 19th to Monday 23rd May

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    -Shels are only four points off 4th with a game in hand. Outside chance of Europe now. (Didn't see that coming).
    And yet they're the only team to have lost to Harps this season - both home and away.

Mad league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    3 games next up could make the season for Dundalk. Not expected but not impossible, take 2 wins from Pats and Sligo before a top of the table clash v Rovers in Oriel before the break. Maybe we are seeing why St Pats were so bothered by losing O'Donnell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    The break can't come soon enough for us. The transfer window also can't come soon enough for us.

Showed signs of improvement last night. Played okay at times, hassled Dundalk well at times, but still just can't put the ball in the net. Yoyo Mahdy is a shadow of the player he was a couple of years ago and is really just not looking interested currently, which is a shame because I was really happy to see him sign for us. Mihaljevic is superb with the ball at his feet, great workrate, but isn't an out and out goalscorer.

Struggles with injuries isn't helping, and we just look all over the place at times. But a change to 4-4-2 last night seemed to spark a bit of intensity and shape in the team again. Hopefully a sign of a small bit of a turnaround. Better late than never.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    Derry looked like they expected us to roll over after conceding a farcical equaliser and to be honest, so did most people in the ground I'd wager.
    Deserved the win I felt. Great to see a bit more energy in our play. Hopefully something to build on but I'm not discounting the possibility of losing away to UCD.
    Absolutely deserved the win. We were awful. Worst performance of the season. Sligo were first to every ball, looked the far more hungry side.

Our tactics were wrong last night, and the changes didn't help matters. As an example, Akintunde played up front, then behind McGonigle, then on the left, then on the right. All over the place.
    We need to get the ball wider than we did the past few games, and be quicker at it. We're using three passes where one would do. I'd say Maher had possession more than most of our players.

I'd say we're a tired team at present, but that's no different for any other team. Need this break to come, but not looking forward to Friday night and Harps visiting the Brandy.

Kick in the balls for Sligo to concede a goal like that, but they came back well. Appalling defending for Sligo's second, it was so easy to Keogh to dander into the box. Especially annoying considering we'd just got away with a similar move a minute before after Maher saved.
    Nothing more than Sligo deserved, would have been robbery for us to leave there with a point.
    We were all impressed with Fitzgerald, and it's unfortunate that he didn't get more game time with us. Paddy Kirk also looked a decent threat.

Side note, as I've mentioned elsewhere, security was annoyance at the Showgrounds last night. The searches were over the top, robotic even. One the lads were we with was wearing shorts, had his bare legs patted down (gave us a laugh at least), whilst other lads were still able to get flares in.
    The view in the Showgrounds is bad enough as is, and was made worse by security standing pitch-side in front of us. Really unnecessary.
    On the plus side though, Derry had stewards down. Removed one lad who was barred from the Brandy and took footage of the ones with the flares. A huge improvement on these matters since last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    He is only one player but a fit Michael Duffy would provide some of the width you mention as an issue. Dundalk would have been a lot more stretched if we'd had to double up on him meaning we couldnt have been as compact and comfortable without the ball on Friday.
    Stewards standing in front of fan sections is a necessary pain imo, though why they cant be provided with small stools facing the crowd like they do in England, they can still react when they need to rather then standing in peoples sightlines causing grief. Its hard to put the finger on this 'blip' by Derry considering how quickly they were out of the blocks for a fairly new team - Higgins now seems to be tinkering to find a fix when maybe trusting what they were doing early on is the way to go. Its not like they were a surprise outfit that sides have learned to cope with. I still expect them to be closer to Rovers by seasons end. That said, I thought Dundalk would be doing well to get 4th and while that still might be the case, we do seem to be finding our best 11 and play to strengths - draws to wins type improvement. Its still nip and tuck and a couple of poor results and gains on the top 2 are undone.

Missed opportunity for Rovers to really nail the psychological 10+ point advantage over Derry with a swing of 17(?) and before 2 full rounds. United Park just doesnt suit teams that like to use width like if Rovers stuck with wingbacks and 3 at the back. Drogs are a serious grafting side and can smother and kill a game on the tight pitch so for the so called better teams ye just have to roll the sleeves up and out fight them, be first to the breaking ball etc and not try to be too fancy. Harps might be having a tough time of it but it is always a relief to come away from Finn Park with a win - they could smell blood for Derry's visit Friday badly needing a win looking to to turn their own season around. Shels are starting to pick up points now and pushing in to safe midtable form, Bohs could be sucked in to the relegation play-off battle at least and could be lucky that the automatic relegations spots are being cut loose.

It was said last night by a well placed source that Buckley was ok with leaving Sligo, the usual mutual termination spin given, though in the papers saying he was sacked. If to believed he felt he had hit a wall and was frustrated with not getting much progress so just accepted that it was time to move on. Could be an earlier than expected punt made on Paddy McLaughlin after his impressive season in the IL, season finished and all, though not maybe out of left field enough for Sligo Ian Morris *cough*is kicking his heals and Perth is bound to want the chance and could be what they need as its not a complete rebuild job needed - he has shown that he can get disinterested players doing something. Buckley was a safe appointment so maybe they're ready to go high risk maybe high reward as in the past.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 24/05/2022 at 2:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    I would like to see the midweek fixtures split up between Monday/Tuesday. Hopefully will be something which could be looked at next year. But now that streaming is a source of revenue I think they should be trying to minimize fixtures clashes where they can.

Fridays is where most want to be playing home games so clashes can't be avoided but I can't see why they shouldn't play 2/3 games on Monday and the same on Tuesday. Spreading kickoff times for midweek fixtures seems like a no-brainer for me.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456