Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The One That Got Away?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Similar to Alan Kernaghan I guess. Don't think Down being in the north would have caused any big issue.
    Well no player from 6 counties was able to play for us until recently. One of Kernaghan’s grandparents was born in republic

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Were they? I thought it was just that they were Irish citizens but were all from the North. I assume that's how McAteer qualified also?

It's probably clarified one way or the other in the Eligibility Rules thread somewhere, but I don't have the patience to go back through it to check.

It's hard enough trying to keep up with the current eligibility rules these days.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 24/06/2022 at 8:51 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    His dad was working for Busáras. But he says he never really felt Irish alright, so strange in a way we got him when he was eligible for England (and was quite good)
    He was very very very good. What we would do for a player as good as Steve Heighway today ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Were they? I thought it was just that they were Irish citizens but were all from the North. I assume that's how McAteer qualified also?

It's probably clarified one way or the other in the Eligibility Rules thread somewhere, but I don't have the patience to go back through it to check.

It's hard enough trying to keep up with the current eligibility rules these days.
    I didn’t think people from the north were entitled to irish citizenship till the good Friday agreement?

Strange situation with McAteer. There’s weird stuff around people born prior to the republic (before 01/01/49)… that they can apply to be British subjects and later British Citizens. Maybe the reverse was somehow true if someone was born before partition in 21 or the free state in 22? That would likely include a grandparent of his

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I didn’t think people from the north were entitled to irish citizenship till the good Friday agreement?

Strange situation with McAteer. There’s weird stuff around people born prior to the republic (before 01/01/49)… that they can apply to be British subjects and later British Citizens. Maybe the reverse was somehow true if someone was born before partition in 21 or the free state in 22? That would likely include a grandparent of his
    I think they were given citizenship by Ireland for years prior to that - the GFA formalised the position of NI in British and Irish law and meant that both countries recognised people's rights to an Irish passport, but I'm fairly certain the Irish government issued citizenship to any northerners that wanted one long before that.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I think they were given citizenship by Ireland for years prior to that - the GFA formalised the position of NI in British and Irish law and meant that both countries recognised people's rights to an Irish passport, but I'm fairly certain the Irish government issued citizenship to any northerners that wanted one long before that.
    They did. Most of my family had / have Irish citizenship and many born before GFA.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    They did. Most of my family had / have Irish citizenship and many born before GFA.
    Proper order!

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Well no player from 6 counties was able to play for us until recently. One of Kernaghan’s grandparents was born in republic
    Not so.

Although few and far between ("Gentlemans Agreement"?), there was the odd one back in the day. Off the top of my head, I can think of (Belfast-born) Ger Crossley, who played in the Brian Kerr team which won the Euro U-18's title in 1998. While the Kearns/CAS case later confirmed that the automatic Irish cotizenship accorded to all NI people at birth by the Irish government is sufficient to permit them to be selected by the FAI.

As for Kernaghan, he was born in England, but moved with his English parents to Bangor when he was young. He played for NI Schools, and was even a ball boy at Windsor etc, but when he came onto Billy Bingam's radar, the IFA instructed that he wasn't eligible to be selected. Iirc, this was because the four home nations had an agreement that they would not select "each other's" players unless they also had a close ancestral connection.

AK had NI-born grandparents, but the IFA was (typically) slow to recognise a grandparent as being sufficient, insisting instead on a parent. However through his grandparents, AK was entitled to Irish citizenship, which in turn meant that he could be selected by the FAI under FIFA's eligibility rules. The player himself had hoped to play for NI, but he wasn't at all bothered about representing ROI when NI was closed off to him: like a lot of players, he just wanted to play international football, and to hell with the politics.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Not so.

Although few and far between ("Gentlemans Agreement"?), there was the odd one back in the day. Off the top of my head, I can think of (Belfast-born) Ger Crossley, who played in the Brian Kerr team which won the Euro U-18's title in 1998. While the Kearns/CAS case later confirmed that the automatic Irish cotizenship accorded to all NI people at birth by the Irish government is sufficient to permit them to be selected by the FAI.

As for Kernaghan, he was born in England, but moved with his English parents to Bangor when he was young. He played for NI Schools, and was even a ball boy at Windsor etc, but when he came onto Billy Bingam's radar, the IFA instructed that he wasn't eligible to be selected. Iirc, this was because the four home nations had an agreement that they would not select "each other's" players unless they also had a close ancestral connection.

AK had NI-born grandparents, but the IFA was (typically) slow to recognise a grandparent as being sufficient, insisting instead on a parent. However through his grandparents, AK was entitled to Irish citizenship, which in turn meant that he could be selected by the FAI under FIFA's eligibility rules. The player himself had hoped to play for NI, but he wasn't at all bothered about representing ROI when NI was closed off to him: like a lot of players, he just wanted to play international football, and to hell with the politics.
    There were plenty of players from the Republic who got caps for the IFA team before FIFA put a stop to it, but did a player from the North ever play for the FAI team during the era of "Two Irelands"?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    PS, EG, RIP Billy Bingham. I think he got a lot of unfair criticism over the infamous Windsor game. I don't believe he was ever purposely inciting some of the more unpleasant sectarian crowd behaviour on that occasion. He was the first NI manager to appoint a Catholic captain and had the respect and affection of all his players from whatever background. Came across as a decent man, and as someone who is not ashamed to say I shout for both Irish sides (with a primary loyalty to ROI), he gave a lot of people unforgettable memories especially in 82. It's odd but back in the day a lot of people in the Republic would support NI or at least shout for them during those World Cups.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Ealing Green - I think you have that pretty much bang on in terms of the Irish citizenship situation for Kernaghan - presumably that's how McAteer qualified for us also. Once there was a grandparent born on the island they could play for ROI as far as FIFA were concerned. But at the time it tended to be English born players that availed of this, NI born nationalists pretty much always played for the north during the Troubles.

I'm a bit too young to remember the glory days of NI football, but I can imagine it would have been easy enough for people in the south to support them back then - ROI had no history of tournament qualification at that point and the NI team had plenty of nationalists and seemed at that point to be able to appeal to both sides of the divide.

It's strange that, as things settled down a bit politically in the north, the football became more divisive around the same time. I think the Lennon incident contributed to it and made nationalists feel less welcome in terms of the unionist fanbase. Then the CAS ruling opened the door so there was no longer any ambiguity in terms of eligibility, they could play for us if they wanted to and it turned out many did.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Ealing Green - I think you have that pretty much bang on in terms of the Irish citizenship situation for Kernaghan - presumably that's how McAteer qualified for us also. Once there was a grandparent born on the island they could play for ROI as far as FIFA were concerned. But at the time it tended to be English born players that availed of this, NI born nationalists pretty much always played for the north during the Troubles.

I'm a bit too young to remember the glory days of NI football, but I can imagine it would have been easy enough for people in the south to support them back then - ROI had no history of tournament qualification at that point and the NI team had plenty of nationalists and seemed at that point to be able to appeal to both sides of the divide.

It's strange that, as things settled down a bit politically in the north, the football became more divisive around the same time. I think the Lennon incident contributed to it and made nationalists feel less welcome in terms of the unionist fanbase. Then the CAS ruling opened the door so there was no longer any ambiguity in terms of eligibility, they could play for us if they wanted to and it turned out many did.
    That’s true about cross community support for NI even during the troubles. I think your analysis is pretty much spot on, but I think the other issue is that the teams never played each other until the qualification campaigns. When they did it polarised support in NI. Nationalists instinctively supported ROI and some elements of the NI fan base from unionist or even more loyalist persuasion saw these fixtures very much in sectarian / political terms. I credit the IFA with trying to rebuild cross community support, but it’s not going to happen now. The two teams are pretty much emblems of identity. I know EG disagrees with this, but I think there is slightly more chance of one Irish team being able to attract support across political and cultural divides and borders then the NI team ever attracting nationalist support. The NI team and shirt are now pretty much owned by one community. I guess an All Ireland team, even with neutral symbols and anthems like Rugby and Cricket, would still be seen by some as a nationalist takeover, so we’re probably destined for a form of football apartheid until or unless we see a United Ireland .

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    898 Posts
    I thought the technicality with Kernaghan was that his grandfather was born in Belfast before partition.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    It's definitely his grandparents according to this - https://www.the42.ie/alan-kernaghan-4687458-Jun2019/
    Doesn't mention when they were born though
    The comments he got from the Northern Ireland fans are disgraceful
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    My understanding of the Kernaghan sitution ws that while he was actually eligible for the NI team according to FIFA criteria, under the IFA's own stricter criteria, he was never going to be selected.

Maybe I've got it wrong though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    According to Wikipedia, Kernaghan's grandmother was born in the Republic. That was always the story I remember about him. Even though all his grandparents were northern Protestants, one of them was born in Republic and that qualified him for us
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

22. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234