Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The One That Got Away?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    You wonder if you turn the question around, who's the best player to play for Ireland who on the face of it has been more likely to play for another country?

Steve Heighway and Ray Houghton are the two obvious ones. Michael Obafemi has the potential to be up there I think too. Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy I think irk the Scots (not sure on that though). James McClean and Shane Duffy have U21 caps for the North.

Have we had many players who've played underage for other countries (apart from the North) and then transferred across to us for senior level?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Ciaran Clark played for England at every level up to under 20, and captained the side.

I don't know if Heighway qualified to play for anyone else under the rules at the time. He was born in Dublin, and moved to England at a young age.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 23/06/2022 at 8:30 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Ciaran Clark played for England at every level up to under 20, and captained the side.

I don't know if Heighway qualified to play for anyone else under the rules at the time. He was born in Dublin, and moved to England at a young age.
    I presume he had at least one English parent. I think we capped him after only a couple of Liverpool first team games so got him early. Lawrenson would definitely have got England caps.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    John Aldridge would have played for England for sure

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Between Houghton, McCarthy and McGeady from Scotland, Duffy, McClean and a few more from the north and Kevin Sheedy from Wales, we've taken quite a few useful players from the other celtic teams over the years.

On the other hand, while people moan about Rice and Grealish, we've never really lost an Irish born player of note to another country, I can only think of players who wouldn't have been capped for us. That will probably happen in the next few years though and it will be interesting to see the reaction when it does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Shay Brennan played for Ireland in 65 under the parentage rule, so Heighway could have played for England ten years later.

Edit - Sheedy's a great call of course

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I presume he had at least one English parent. I think we capped him after only a couple of Liverpool first team games so got him early. Lawrenson would definitely have got England caps.
    Lawrenson was one of the best defenders in the world. He would have been a mainstay of the England defence for years. Absolutely amazing player. Feel him and to a far lesser
    extent Beglin are forgotten about because they missed the good times. Both unlucky with injury.

We missed out on some players down the years though. Greaves right through to Keegan through toRooney and Kane. Gerrard Gazza and Scholes, Ferdinand or Keown. Adams could have played for us as well.

Met Alan Kennedy once when he was over for some Liverpool supporters thing as my mate is very involved with the supporters club. Not a Liverpool fan but just chatting about what a great team he played in afterwards. He talked about the Irish influence of Whelan Lawrenson and others and said him, Ray Kennedy and Sammy Lee could have played for us. Said Ronnie Whelan was the most loved player in the dressing room because he could control a game so well. Said a dirtier player than Souness though!

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Lawrenson was one of the best defenders in the world. He would have been a mainstay of the England defence for years. Absolutely amazing player. Feel him and to a far lesser
    extent Beglin are forgotten about because they missed the good times. Both unlucky with injury.

We missed out on some players down the years though. Greaves right through to Keegan through toRooney and Kane. Gerrard Gazza and Scholes, Ferdinand or Keown. Adams could have played for us as well.

Met Alan Kennedy once when he was over for some Liverpool supporters thing as my mate is very involved with the supporters club. Not a Liverpool fan but just chatting about what a great team he played in afterwards. He talked about the Irish influence of Whelan Lawrenson and others and said him, Ray Kennedy and Sammy Lee could have played for us. Said Ronnie Whelan was the most loved player in the dressing room because he could control a game so well. Said a dirtier player than Souness though!
    Alan kennedy was kinda hardy himself. I was surprised Liverpool let him go to Newcastle ( i think ) coz I thought there was a few more good years left in him. Liverpool must have had a top class replacement ready in line which was the Liverpool way in those days.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Alan kennedy was kinda hardy himself. I was surprised Liverpool let him go to Newcastle ( i think ) coz I thought there was a few more good years left in him. Liverpool must have had a top class replacement ready in line which was the Liverpool way in those days.
    Top player he was. Lovely man.

Think he’s from that neck of the woods so might have just wanted to head home.

Ray Kennedy was an outstanding player. Think Ronnie Whelan replaced him at Liverpool but he could have been a great player for us in the 70s.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Top player he was. Lovely man.

Think he’s from that neck of the woods so might have just wanted to head home.

Ray Kennedy was an outstanding player. Think Ronnie Whelan replaced him at Liverpool but he could have been a great player for us in the 70s.
    Ray Kennedy was a bit unusual in that he was a Striker at Arsenal and Liverpool converted him in to a very very good midfielder ~ ~ slightly unusual career progression at the age Ray kennedy was.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Between Houghton, McCarthy and McGeady from Scotland, Duffy, McClean and a few more from the north and Kevin Sheedy from Wales, we've taken quite a few useful players from the other celtic teams over the years.

On the other hand, while people moan about Rice and Grealish, we've never really lost an Irish born player of note to another country, I can only think of players who wouldn't have been capped for us. That will probably happen in the next few years though and it will be interesting to see the reaction when it does.
    On the second point, I think the Nigerian influence on our team has been fantastic. We haven't lost a player to them and it's great. Obafemi and Ogbene are two with heavy connections - Ogbene being born there. Festy has two Nigerian parents two I think. Then you have Idah and Omobamidele and Bazunu with one and another Irish so less risk there. But it seems like players with Nigerian heritage are happy to stay with us. Exemplified too underage with more there e.g. Kayode and Armstrong and Odubeko and Adaramola etc.

We haven't lost a player to Nigeria yet I don't think and hopefully it continues.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    On the second point, I think the Nigerian influence on our team has been fantastic. We haven't lost a player to them and it's great. Obafemi and Ogbene are two with heavy connections - Ogbene being born there. Festy has two Nigerian parents two I think. Then you have Idah and Omobamidele and Bazunu with one and another Irish so less risk there. But it seems like players with Nigerian heritage are happy to stay with us. Exemplified too underage with more there e.g. Kayode and Armstrong and Odubeko and Adaramola etc.

We haven't lost a player to Nigeria yet I don't think and hopefully it continues.
    Yes, the Nigerian influence has been a brilliant addition (due in no small part to our lax citizenship laws of the 1990s and early 2000s!). As we saw with Ogbene it's one thing to want to play for Nigeria and a whole other thing to actually play for them. In practice the numbers they have to pick from, the travel distance etc. makes it easy enough for a player who is dual qualified to go with Ireland.

Unfortunately where the issue will arise is when the first Irish born generation of mid 2000s onwards Central/Eastern European dual nationals come through. It will be much easier for them to choose their parents' country of birth over Ireland and I expect quite a few will do that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Yes, the Nigerian influence has been a brilliant addition (due in no small part to our lax citizenship laws of the 1990s and early 2000s!). As we saw with Ogbene it's one thing to want to play for Nigeria and a whole other thing to actually play for them. In practice the numbers they have to pick from, the travel distance etc. makes it easy enough for a player who is dual qualified to go with Ireland.

Unfortunately where the issue will arise is when the first Irish born generation of mid 2000s onwards Central/Eastern European dual nationals come through. It will be much easier for them to choose their parents' country of birth over Ireland and I expect quite a few will do that.
    Repeal the 27th Amendment!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Steve Heighway was born in Ireland to English parents and they moved back to UK soon after. Not sure he ever felt Irish but he qualified for us. He 100% would’ve been eligible for England.

Interestingly, I’m reading McAteer’s book and his grandfather was from Co. Down. Not sure how that qualified him for us at the time in 1994

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    It's a good read, isn't it? Became a professional footballer almost by accident

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    It's a good read, isn't it? Became a professional footballer almost by accident
    Yeah. Very entertaining as McAteer generally is. Although some of his memories of big matches are not quite right. He should’ve used YouTube to confirm his memories

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Steve Heighway was born in Ireland to English parents and they moved back to UK soon after. Not sure he ever felt Irish but he qualified for us. He 100% would’ve been eligible for England.
    He was here until age ten apparently (linked here earlier). Way longer than I thought

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    He was here until age ten apparently (linked here earlier). Way longer than I thought
    Wow. Much longer than I thought too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    His dad was working for Busáras. But he says he never really felt Irish alright, so strange in a way we got him when he was eligible for England (and was quite good)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post

Interestingly, I’m reading McAteer’s book and his grandfather was from Co. Down. Not sure how that qualified him for us at the time in 1994
    Similar to Alan Kernaghan I guess. Don't think Down being in the north would have caused any big issue.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast