Wexford v Galway
    Waterford v Cobh

Monday 16th

Treaty v Longford 19:45

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Even without my Rovers blinkers the big game is the clash of the top two. It is the standout match.
    A win for Rovers combined with a win for Dundalk would put Dundalk 7 points behind Derry with a game in hand as well as heaping the pressure again on Keith Long. Can they get into the race.
    To be fair Pats are two points ahead of Dundalk albeit with a game more played , i suppose anyone who strings a few wins together could separate themselves from that crowded middle ground
    Harps v UCD is a must win for UCD but you couldn't fancy them tbh, Shels v Drogs is a big six pointer as well.
    Last edited by sbgawa; 10/05/2022 at 4:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    I think Harps/UCD is a must win for both teams,crowds will really start falling away if we can’t beat the likes of UCD and would be a shot in the arm for them aswell….,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    I think Harps/UCD is a must win for both teams,crowds will really start falling away if we can’t beat the likes of UCD and would be a shot in the arm for them aswell….,
    You could be up to 8th if Shels beat Drogs or right on top of both if it goes the other way.
    If UCD lose its a VERY long way back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I hate the 9 team first division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Support Rovers second team application next year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I actually don't mind it - though our bye weeks have been ok so far... We were off on the first day which gave us a weekend to spy on Cork and then we had a bye on Easter Monday after we'd won down in Waterford on Good Friday.

This weekend it adds pressure on our trip to Wexford because you're not playing - we'll finally get level on points with you again.

As disappointed as I was that ye nabbed that winner in Athlone in some ways it adds an even greater edge to the match at the end of the month if we're behind you in the table going in to it, if even on goal difference.

First off we have to take care of Wexford - they're the only team we haven't beaten this season and going forward certainly have players that can trouble us and probably should have gone 2-0 up in Galway earlier in the season. We've improved since then but we can't take them too lightly.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Our bye weeks have been fine too, we got to play our entire first round of games before getting a break, and we've played 6 of 8 this time around. We don't get any Mondays off though. I think the scheduling in general has been poor. For example we just played two home games over a Friday/Monday, before being away to Athlone and having a bye. So we get two home games in 3 days and then our next home game is 18 days later. We also had Cobh/Waterford at home on Friday/Monday, and we played Waterford away on a bank holiday Monday a few weeks later. With a little bit of planning we could have had a better spread of home/away games so people are encouraged to come out to more games. I'm sure other teams have the same problem.

In general I don't like having a weekend off, and we have the mid season break coming up too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    For us we've only 3 Monday games all season - Home v Treaty and Home & Away v Longford. Neither of the home games were on the back of a Friday night home game so it's ok for us in that sense.

I do think, particularly in Division 1, that it's better to keep the Monday games to local ones. I know there's the argument that if those games were on a Friday they could potentially be bumper crowds but I wouldn't think having Galway v Wexford or Waterford on a Monday would really be fair on the travelling side unless it's a Bank Holiday.

Funnily enough our next break comes after we play you and added to the mid-season break we don't have a game for another 3 weeks after we play you at the end of May.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Surely if UCD are beaten Myler has to go. Normally the excuses come after the mid season break and they lose a few players, but to be as poor as this with the talent at his disposal this season, simply not good enough. Felt like got lucky last year in the playoffs when Bray didn't show up at Dalyer and Waterford imploded like only Waterford can in the week of the playoff. But even accounting for that luck,.they should still be in double figure points after 14 games. Harps Drogs Sligo Shels are all bang average and a better managed team would be in and about that lot. Waiting for the usual Ollie Horgam inspired ridiculous run of results to come, probably too early in the season yet for that, they need to be in deep doodoo before they get the Ollie inspiration. Anyway, maybe UCD will surprise and give us hope....until Whelan and Kerrigan leave at least

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    JC I thought Wexford were highly dangerous against us the other night. I expect them to be in the running strongly in the playoffs. The only thing that might lead to their demise is their discipline. They could have more than one player sent off Sat night!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    JC I thought Wexford were highly dangerous against us the other night. I expect them to be in the running strongly in the playoffs. The only thing that might lead to their demise is their discipline. They could have more than one player sent off Sat night!
    They were very impressive on the counter attack and played some lovely stuff but still haven't beaten a team above them yet this season. Plus they concede far too many goals. If they can get a run going they could rob the fifth spot but I'd say it's unlikely at the moment

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Absolute must win game tonight at home against Bray for us. We have Bray, Longford, Cobh all at home within the space of 10 days, and with how our away form has been (haven't won away from home since February), anything less than 7 pts would be a massive failure.

Realistically, Cork and Galway are going to be the ones challenging for the First Div title but we just have to make sure we finish in the top 5.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Derry have been the better team this first 35 mins in Tallaght and are unlucky not to be ahead, good save from Mannus.

Dundalk's defending of the corner for Bohs goal was horrendously poor
    Paaatrick's Agletic

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Rovers very poor for the most part. Last 10 of the first half probably their best spell. Feel sorry for McCann who’s battling well in the middle but he’s got the non-footballer Towell beside him and Jack Byrne is strolling around like a lad who thinks he’s too good for the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Was sceptical when I saw Stephen Walsh starting upfront for Galway but he scored a very nice goal aswell as a header unmarked from a yard out from a corner. Wexford cannot defend set pieces at all against this Galway team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Rovers very poor for the most part. Last 10 of the first half probably their best spell. Feel sorry for McCann who’s battling well in the middle but he’s got the non-footballer Towell beside him and Jack Byrne is strolling around like a lad who thinks he’s too good for the league.
    Utter rubbish your comments about Byrne and Towell - they are both working their socks off - our problem is that Derry’s press has been excellent and so far it’s working to stop us from creating anything

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kksaints View Post
    Was sceptical when I saw Stephen Walsh starting upfront for Galway but he scored a very nice goal aswell as a header unmarked from a yard out from a corner. Wexford cannot defend set pieces at all against this Galway team.
    He's actually been quality up top for them this season, has to be one of the top scorers in the first division.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Utter rubbish your comments about Byrne and Towell - they are both working their socks off - our problem is that Derry’s press has been excellent and so far it’s working to stop us from creating anything
    Towell is running around like a hyper active jack russle might as well be chasing his own tail, constantly runs out of good position to receive the ball. Byrne is miles off the level of his previous Rovers spell, maybe still not fully fit. Derry press has been good but very little quality from Rovers on the ball to beat it either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    UCD better side in Finn Park,pretty woeful from us again tbh,lucky to be level

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast