Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 FAI Cup

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Interesting results in the cup games this weekend with 4 home wins for sides all below their respective opponents in the league. Can’t see a Derry - shels final breaking a 22 or 23k attendance to be honest
    Paaatrick's Agletic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I wouldnt be counting out Waterfords chances just yet. They were mightily impressive at home to dundalk, albeit dundalk looked a bit of a mess at the back. Very tough draw for Treaty, the worst of 6 possible options and can't see derry mess up from here.

Everyone on here (incl. me) predicted that duffer would fall on his a$$ in this 1st management gig, but he's done OK and a cup final appearance would give the forever maligned shels fans something to cling on to.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    I wouldnt be counting out Waterfords chances just yet. They were mightily impressive at home to dundalk, albeit dundalk looked a bit of a mess at the back. Very tough draw for Treaty, the worst of 6 possible options and can't see derry mess up from here.

Everyone on here (incl. me) predicted that duffer would fall on his a$$ in this 1st management gig, but he's done OK and a cup final appearance would give the forever maligned shels fans something to cling on to.
    Not everyone thought duff would fail. To be honest, his track record speaks more of his own conviction than it does to any degree of flakiness. He's walked away from things he didn't like or when bigger opportunities came around. He hasn't been asked to leave from anywhere afaik?

Do you not remember how well thought of he was at Rovers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Would the club ever have ambitions to build their own football stadium? RSC is a grand enough ground but with obvious limitations, and the running track is a disaster for watching games.
    Not the worst ground by loi standards. I always hated a running track when watching football matches but.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    last thing we needed was a grueling cup tie on a ****e pitch with ten men.

we are starting to look very ragged although the second half performance was good.

peno was a peno on second viewing to be fair but I don't think you can send Grace off as well. he had his eyes on the ball the whole time.

just keep yourselves focused on the cup please Derry.

Haven't seen it on TV but it was a definite penalty, Grace got himself in all sorts of bother with his positioning and clipped him. Never a red as it wasn't deliberate.

Extra time, a lot of the game with ten men was the worst thing that could happen to Rovers yesterday, great for the run in for us. Hopefully there is a title race!

Rovers looked off it from the start, Derry's usual home second half performance let them back in the game.

Pitch is awful, Derry struggle in it when it doesn't rain. We've had very dry weather surprisingly nearly every home game this season.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Derry are 11/10 to win the cup, I would have made them odds on after that draw.

Derry - 11/10
    Shels - 9/5
    Waterford - 7/2
    Treaty - 10/1

Can't see them not winning it as unless Rovers collapse and lose 2 or 3 games, the cup will be their only hope for a trophy, good news also for whoever comes 4th, either Dundalk or Pats as that will get the final euro spot.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Derry v Treaty 2pm
    Waterford v Shels 4.45pm

Both Sunday 16 October

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    The most important thing for the club now is stability. Long way off ever dreaming about our own ground. The new owner is in talks with the council over a 50 year licence. Aside from that the RSC pitch is generally up there as one of the best.

Besides away supporters not being happy with the view I don’t believe in the track excuse, yes it’s be fantastic to be on top of the pitch. When the clubs doing well and winning and there’s a buzz around the club tickets sell well. When sh*t is hitting the pot off pitch and the results aren’t going well generally that tends to the excuse for people not going. But we’d be crazy to be even considering our own ground right now. The RSC has some really good facilities outside of using it as our home ground.

IMO, a new ground isn’t even on the list of concerns! You’re right there’s limitations to playing in the RSC, but right now there’s nothing to suggest even if we’d our own 5k seater that attendances would exceed those at the RSC.

None of us are living in fairy land just yet, a couple games with 3k plus in attendance is great an all but we’re all very aware the potential is there for a good crowd. It’s silly talk looking for a new ground because of the potential. The crowds would need to be consistently that high in the medium term to be even considering the idea of a bigger ground tbh. I’d imagine it’d be a lot more realistic to think there’s potential for the stands to be extended and lengthen in the RSC then us financing and building a new ground from scratch. This reminds me of the time Cork sold out turners cross 3/4 games in arrow a few years ago and one particular fella was banging on about how Cork should move to a bigger ground and apply to join the SPL.
    Waterford have had some great crowds this year. But a problem for them will be if Cork and Galway both get promoted, as it's hard to see similarly big crowds next season against pretty much anyone else in the division (unless Waterford are storming the league - though even then).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Interesting results in the cup games this weekend with 4 home wins for sides all below their respective opponents in the league. Can’t see a Derry - shels final breaking a 22 or 23k attendance to be honest
    Agree. I'd say 20,000 at it would be a great result, and even anything over 15,000 really would be good (depending on how many neutrals and randomws can be attracted).

Makes me question the wisdom of the FAI starting to sell cup final tickets so early. Why do they need to do that ? It means that they're now stuck with an increased price, when surely common sense would have said to wait until at least the semi-finals are known to understand who is likely to be in it and then price accordingly ? Or just wait until the finalists are known and then go with a big bang launch.

Would Waterford bring more to a final than Shels, I wonder ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    Derry v Treaty 2pm
    Waterford v Shels 4.45pm

Both Sunday 16 October
    Are they the confimed times now ? Both presumably on TV too.

Not a huge gap between them in case the first game goes to ET and penalties.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 19/09/2022 at 2:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post

Replays for the semis, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post

I would say, in that scenario, it's perfectly timed for one game to almost run into the other.

Also, you'd imagine, part of the reason Derry v Treaty is on first. The expectation will be for a fairly routine Derry win.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Is this the first time in a long time that both semis are on after the other?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Just looking at the highlights of the quarter finals. My god Rory Feely has had a woeful season. He had a decent game against pats in Dalymount in March but any time I’ve seen him since he’s been absolutely shocking. The same can be said for Ciaran Kelly. Two massive weaklinks in the team that have cost a lot of goals for Bohs through stupid errors. Patterson's goal for Waterford and Curran's third for Treaty were beautiful strikes
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I think semi finals do go to replays unless it has changed from last year. Anyone know for certain?
    That was a brilliant goal from Patterson, one of the best I've seen at the RSC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    FAI haven't confirmed it anywhere. Would presume they'll be played to a close on the day though.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Just looking at the highlights of the quarter finals. My god Rory Feely has had a woeful season. He had a decent game against pats in Dalymount in March but any time I’ve seen him since he’s been absolutely shocking. The same can be said for Ciaran Kelly. Two massive weaklinks in the team that have cost a lot of goals for Bohs through stupid errors. Patterson's goal for Waterford and Curran's third for Treaty were beautiful strikes
    Feely is right up there as one of the worst players I've ever seen for Bohs. He's probably played over 50 games for us now and is getting worse and worse every week. His mistakes alone have probably cost us 10/12 points this season. It's criminal Long kept him around as long as he did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJohn91 View Post
    Feely is right up there as one of the worst players I've ever seen for Bohs. He's probably played over 50 games for us now and is getting worse and worse every week. His mistakes alone have probably cost us 10/12 points this season. It's criminal Long kept him around as long as he did.
    I remember him being awful too whenever Rovers have played against him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Feely is purely an athlete for me, nothing more. Was often a winger at youth level at Pats and has only ever seemed to even approach being decent at senior level when at full back, I'm guessing he's only at centre back due to his height/physicality because nothing about it suits him on a footballing level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    News this evening, The Blues have sold out home seated tickets ahead of the semi final. After season ticket holders and support club members sales only 500 tickets went on general sale today. Talks a significant number of ground tickets will now go on sale. Unfortunately working in Cork that evening so won?t make the game. Delighted it?s on TV

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast