Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 FAI Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    This was a great shout by you the other day which i hadn't thought of.
    Treaty effectively become another team that the top 4 want to win the cup.

So 4th place gets Europe if Shamrock Rovers, Derry Dundalk or Treaty win the cup.
    Yeah, Pat's will want Dundalk, Treaty, Rovers and Shels to win. Ideally for Pat's, it will be Rovers v Shels in the semi-finals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    What treble?
    Still going on about this, you do realise a treble did exist before 1989, and other clubs actually won it, Rovers won plenty of these plus the Top 4 and the Shield were massive trophies pre 1970's.

Actually how about a mini treble in 2019 for Dundalk, League, League cup and the Unite the 'Nation' (Union) as the PA guy called out for the craic as it v Linfield
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Remind me again about 3 years ago about Waterford and St Pats as brain isnt as sharp as its used to be!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Treaty v UCD
    Shels v Bohs
    Waterford v Dundalk
    Derry v Rovers

Interesting draw. Waterford could well upset Dundalk at the RSC. Treaty and UCD will obviously be quite happy. Derry v Rovers is a juicy tie; just hope Rovers aren't too tired for it
    They sure could, but I think as mentioned elsewhere on this thread we will have sufficient 'bodies' back then (love that word which has crept into football lingo last 10 years - always reminds me of a horror movie), then again last 2 league defeats were horror shows. Also I think replays are back for the QF, so gives an interesting angle.

I'd go for Derry* (game will prob be on a sunday), Dundalk (after replay), I have a feeling UCD will win, but I just can't split Shels v Bohs, abs no way I can call it.

*could also well be another replay to add to Rovers fixture pile up.

Not sure I agree with PP having DFC outright favs for the cup, its really quite open even at this stage.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Booked a cheap flight to Derry today so waiting on when the Rovers game will be played.

Dundalk Fans, when did Oriel Park get renamed Casey's Field? Don't remember seeing it on Social Media.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    Booked a cheap flight to Derry today so waiting on when the Rovers game will be played.

Dundalk Fans, when did Oriel Park get renamed Casey's Field? Don't remember seeing it on Social Media.
    After Des Casey passed away recently. Only for the rest of the season.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    We have probably reached the point now in the FAI Cup where refs get that wink from upstairs that it's not really an option to let UCD progress to next stage. Imagine we made the semi finals, that's one game away from the flagship game of the year being ruined by only having one set of fans in attendance. Expect some dodgy refereeing in the qf, and God forbid we win that, expect some downright skulduggery in a semi final. I have to be pragmatic here to avoid getting carried away with the prospect of what might be

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    We have probably reached the point now in the FAI Cup where refs get that wink from upstairs that it's not really an option to let UCD progress to next stage. Imagine we made the semi finals, that's one game away from the flagship game of the year being ruined by only having one set of fans in attendance. Expect some dodgy refereeing in the qf, and God forbid we win that, expect some downright skulduggery in a semi final. I have to be pragmatic here to avoid getting carried away with the prospect of what might be
    I'd say that UCD are more than capable of ensuring on their own that they don't make it to the Cup Final this year They've been very lucky so far with the draws. As soon as they play another Premier Division team it'll be all over for them (if not before)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I'd say that UCD are more than capable of ensuring on their own that they don't make it to the Cup Final this year They've been very lucky so far with the draws. As soon as they play another Premier Division team it'll be all over for them (if not before)
    No argument from me there. The Galway keeper dropping the ball to gift us the win a case in point. Thing is, Treaty are pretty awful, so it might be the semis before we get our spanking

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I know UCD have never gotten much of any support from the actual college but if they did make the final it'd be a great shout if the college/ FAI took the hit and papered 10k free tickets to the students in UCD. If there's one thing college kids love it's a freebie and a day on the p*ss!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    One of the greatest indictments of the dysfunctional regime at UCD is that they have no student fan base. They have no interest in marketing and promo, no interest in filling the place with their own fans, which is badly needed when they are in the 1st Division. They do an utterly poxy job at social media, last night being the perfect example, no team sheet posted pre match, so waiting for LOITV 2 minutes before the ko to find out who is playing. Its simply a personal hobby for a bunch of old geezers and a small number of staff who have controlled UCD AFC for years now, who like to win the Collingwood Cup, and appear answerable to nobody. Even Myler is in on it now, the background to his original appointment being subject of much chatter in the stands at the time. Nice cosy set up for all. Must try harder.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    The thing is no offence to the UCD lads ere a few I know personally but why did they even get into the LOI? They offer absolutely nothing to the league what so ever. They are the closest ground to RTE and they have no intrerest themselves. Answers on a self addressed envelope please!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    The thing is no offence to the UCD lads ere a few I know personally but why did they even get into the LOI? They offer absolutely nothing to the league what so ever. They are the closest ground to RTE and they have no intrerest themselves. Answers on a self addressed envelope please!
    I think they've every right to be in LOI, plenty of begrudgers who simply slag them off for being different and not always nearly bankrupt (jealousy), the model is perfect for Irish football, especially 1st Div. As to why they got into LOI, its a perfect way to attract high quality young players who want to get a decent education at the same time as playing top level ball. At least it was, but I think they've shot themselves in the foot on that this last couple of seasons, so many of the players aren't UCD students these days, and other clubs have wised up by offering to pay college/leaving cert grind school fees and uni fees for some of the players they might have originally lost to UCD u17s U19s. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see UCD pulling back from LOI at some stage, they seem disinterested compared to previous years, and they have zero recruitment/scouting policy outside of Myler sucking up to Rovers and signing their underage castoffs. With smart commercially minded people in charge their, they could have a brilliant small stadium developed, a full house every week. They have a huge catchment area not catering for LOI in any way.

16. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    We got into the LoI the same way ye got in - we asked and there was no-one else interested really.

There's a series of interviews in the match programme this season with former players, and it's interesting that every one of them (the likes of Joe Hanrahan, Dave Tilson, Conan Byrne, Ciarán Kavanagh and others) say that it was great to be able to be dropped into first-team senior football at 17 with no real pressure on you. They would be biased in a UCD programme of course, but still I think it's a point with a lot of merit when you consider how many players have started their careers at the club in the last 43 years.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    We got into the LoI the same way ye got in - we asked and there was no-one else interested really.

There's a series of interviews in the match programme this season with former players, and it's interesting that every one of them (the likes of Joe Hanrahan, Dave Tilson, Conan Byrne, Ciarán Kavanagh and others) say that it was great to be able to be dropped into first-team senior football at 17 with no real pressure on you. They would be biased in a UCD programme of course, but still I think it's a point with a lot of merit when you consider how many players have started their careers at the club in the last 43 years.
    No doubt Stu of the historical performance of UCD as the most prolific club for developing young talent, but I sense that is changing rapidly, with almost every LOI club now giving 1st team opportunities to their best youngsters (as a means to developing them and selling them on to fund club ops), the whole profile of the league has changed. Helped along by Brexit and the emergence of the academy structures in LOI of course. Think UCD glory years as best in class for talent development are behind them. They are completely asleep at the wheel anyway, every organisation has to develop and evolve, but that requires ambition to change, and you know more than anyone that those in charge at UCD lack vision and ambition in equal measure. Its just about sustaining the status quo and winning the Collingwood Cup, and whatever happens in LOI happens. That is such a lost opportunity. It really could be something very good.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    I sense that is changing rapidly, with almost every LOI club now giving 1st team opportunities to their best youngsters (as a means to developing them and selling them on to fund club ops)
    Yeah, but remember they cite the lack of pressure and the ability to make mistakes and learn that you don't have at other clubs too. I think it was Dave Tilson who said he noticed that difference immediately when he moved to Bohs, and Conan Byrne who said he was quite happy to be announced as a Pat's signing along with someone higher profile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    To be fair, UCD add as much to the league as any Longford, Wexford or any other smaller club.

They've produced some of the top players to have played in the league at any given time and have had multiple league and cup winners on their books at one point.

The fact they've a very small fanbase is a disappointment for the league, but at least they do things the right way most of the time.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    To be fair, UCD add as much to the league as any Longford, Wexford or any other smaller club.

They've produced some of the top players to have played in the league at any given time and have had multiple league and cup winners on their books at one point.

The fact they've a very small fanbase is a disappointment for the league, but at least they do things the right way most of the time.
    I totally agree with you on this. They won the right to play in the top league through football and football alone. There are no rules regarding supporters, marketing and publicity as long as its legal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    I totally agree with you on this. They won the right to play in the top league through football and football alone. There are no rules regarding supporters, marketing and publicity as long as its legal.
    It's up to the likes of Cork, Galway, Waterford and Treaty to keep UCD out of the Premier. If these clubs are performing below par with their urban advantages, UCD are one club that will have the consistency to take advantage. Some in LoI circles might have expected the 10 team Premier to have kept UCD out.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast