Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Saipan - 20 Years On

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I'm really pedantic when it comes to calling players world class but him being the joint 6th UEFA scorer of all time is pretty compelling to be fair. I think you have to take into account the opposition when looking at international records but to be joint 6th is phenomenal regardless. Thanks for sharing that. I wasn't aware.

Either way, Robbie's great and I'd agree he is underrated by a large chunk of Irish football supporters.
    You do, but everybody on the list filled their boots against weak opposition. Maybe there were fewer minnows back in Muller's day alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    You do, but everybody on the list filled their boots against weak opposition. Maybe there were fewer minnows back in Muller's day alright.
    Judge for yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rd_M%C3%BCller
    His 68 goals includes five against both Albania and Cyprus, four against Switzerland
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Judge for yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rd_M%C3%BCller
    His 68 goals includes five against both Albania and Cyprus, four against Switzerland
    A quick review of Ronaldo's 115 goals for Portugal suggest that probably 55 of them were against the teams considered weaker opposition (defined by my trusted method of "yeah they're a bit crap").

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

Yeah completely fair. I think there is a narrative around Robbie that he only did it against the lesser nations which is probably unfair. Maybe people remember the hattricks or all the goals against the Faroes but when you look down the list of countries he scored against he covered the bases well. Maybe he dropped off a bit towards the end and that skews people's memories. From 2011 to 2016 the only "good" side he scored against was Sweden. Either way, he was still the one scoring the goals and nobody else comes close for Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_Robbie_Keane
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    It was levelled at him long before 2011. I never bought it: no one scores that often against the good sides. That's why they're good.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    He scored against all the world best
    Germany
    Spain
    Italy
    Holland ( 2000 imo Ireland greatest ever goal) it was an amazing team effort away to the Dutch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Ronaldo should equal Keane's record of scoring at least one international goal in 19 consecutive years this year. However, he's nowhere near Keane's record of scoring a goal in competitive internationals in 18 consecutive years - he only scored one goal in 2009, in a friendly against Finland
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He scored against all the world best
    Germany
    Spain
    Italy
    Holland ( 2000 imo Ireland greatest ever goal) it was an amazing team effort away to the Dutch
    and...
    france
    holland again
    yugoslavia
    play offs v iran and turkey
    croatia
    russia
    sweden
    3 2002 wc finals goals.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    This is interesting, an interview with the BBC reporter who got a few words from Keane in the airport in Saipan
    https://www.the42.ie/roy-keane-inter...68341-May2022/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    This is interesting, an interview with the BBC reporter who got a few words from Keane in the airport in Saipan
    https://www.the42.ie/roy-keane-inter...68341-May2022/
    All tip and no iceberg. About 1000 words to ham up seven. John le Carré he ain't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    What does Saipan mean to the next generation of Irish footballers?
    https://www.the42.ie/saipan-roy-keane-5770945-May2022/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    "Honestly, no. I’d never heard about it. I know Roy Keane. He is the aggressive, angry guy."

Not the legendary midfielder who won everything at club level, not the national hero who dragged us to a tournament through a group of death, but the angry guy. Old Roy must be proud of his legacy there.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Not surprising that it's the three foreign guys who'd never heard of it in fairness. You can see the story being passed down the generations in everyone else, but Romanians/Nigerians 20 years ago wouldn't have been as bothered, and it shows in the answers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    "Honestly, no. I’d never heard about it. I know Roy Keane. He is the aggressive, angry guy."

Not the legendary midfielder who won everything at club level, not the national hero who dragged us to a tournament through a group of death, but the angry guy. Old Roy must be proud of his legacy there.
    Abankwah was born in 2004, Keane retired in 2006. He probably doesn't even remember him managing Sunderland or his time in charge of Ipswich.

For that generation, and all the ones following it, he's going to be the "aggressive, angry guy" on Sky Sports

It's the same way people have formed their opinions on analysts that they never saw play - Souness, Giles, etc,
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 23/05/2022 at 12:56 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Not surprising that it's the three foreign guys who'd never heard of it in fairness. You can see the story being passed down the generations in everyone else, but Romanians/Nigerians 20 years ago wouldn't have been as bothered, and it shows in the answers.
    Mmmm, remarkable parallels to what Keane said to McCarthy.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Not really? There's a very clear divide in that article between the guys who said "Yeah, my dad told me all about it and I heard this that and the other" and the guys who said "Don't know anything about it really". I think it's understandable too, so I don't share John83's surprise* at Keane being labelled the "angry guy"

* - he might be just bemused rather than surprised of course.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Not really? There's a very clear divide in that article between the guys who said "Yeah, my dad told me all about it and I heard this that and the other" and the guys who said "Don't know anything about it really". I think it's understandable too, so I don't share John83's surprise* at Keane being labelled the "angry guy"

I think the reference to “foreign guys” is probably not the best way of putting as they are all Irish. They are all from immigrant families snd it’s a fair point that their parents may be less aware / engaged in Irish football history. But in the context of this issue and the insinuations about genuine Irishness in Keane’s alleged comments, it’s a wee bit on the inappropriate/ clumsy side to describe any Irish footballers as being “foreign”

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    N...I don't share John83's surprise* at Keane being labelled the "angry guy"

Just taking the opportunity to scoff at him, really.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I didn't realise the FAI media guy released a statement that had only been authorised for release under certain circumstances. What a effing tool.

Saipan opened the door to Delaney and his disastrous tenure, and broke a special bond between fans and the MNT. The EPL had already become a threat to the team's popularity but as long as the team was doing well it was very high up in most people's affections and interest, but many Man U and other fans turned on the Irish team after that. That this coincided with the start of the IRFU teams' successful period really harmed the status of the MNT and I think it's only now starting to recover.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 24/05/2022 at 1:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    The main criticism levelled against Mick, and the FAI, was the lack of preparation. Supporters of Keane pointed out the control that Ferguson had on all aspects of the setup at United, and that nothing was left to chance. There's long passages of Keane's first autobiography that cover prematch meals, or the lack thereof. Was Harry's Challenge to blame for the performance against Austria in 1995? Or was it an aging side who were run ragged at the end of the season? Keane mentioned in the book that McCarthy met him before the start of the 2002 qualifiers to discuss aspects of the preparation like this, but before the first qualifier away to the Netherlands, there was no pasta available for the team in the hotel, and he let the manager know exactly what he thought about this. Keane went back to his room and ordered a pizza IIRC.

Professionalism had come into rugby in 1995, and the benefits of it were starting to show for the provincial sides - Ulster won the Heineken Cup in 1999, Munster reached the final in 2000 and 2002 - and the emergence of players like O'Gara, and O'Driscoll in the national side had led to increased coverage of the game. The national team itself had gone from never finishing higher than fourth in the five nations in the 90's to missing out on the Six Nations to England on points difference in 2001. The Celtic Tiger was starting to roar, and GAA sides like Kilkenny, Cork and Tipperary's hurling teams were likewise lauded for their professional approach to an amateur sport. One of the common quotes on this was something like "the GAA are an amateur organisation operating at a professional level, the FAI are a professional organisation operating at an amateur level"

When Kerr was appointed, one of the points about his managerial style that was repeatedly brought up was his attention to detail in preparation for a game - there was a story about how he had a fleet of cars follow the team bus at St Pats in case it broke down, which it did before a game - and that appointing him manager would mean that a situation like Saipan would never occur again.

22. Thanks From:

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast