Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Saipan - 20 Years On

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    The thing with that Spain game is what would he have done differently had he noticed anyway?

We were all over them at that stage, and in the second period, Spain pretty much had everyone behind the ball and were lumping clear. We'd used all our subs, including bringing Connolly and Quinn on for Harte and Kelly - so we had Keane, Duff, Connolly and Quinn all on the pitch.

I'm not sure what else could have been done really.

Can certainly agree on the frustration of starting Harte every time only to sub him off.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Staunton was too old and slow to play left full at that stage and Kilbane was an out and out midfielder, he only played in defence later in his career. So I'm not sure if that was a mistake or we just had no other option. I can't even think of any other good Irish left backs from that time that were left out of the squad, although maybe I'm forgetting someone.
    you could argue denis irwin's decision to retire was down to mccarthy (or at least that was how it was explained to me as a 9 year old). he was still really good in the 2 seasons he played for wolves after the world cup, which probably cost him a place in the squad.

presumably delap was purely a midfielder at that point in his career? he went on to play left back for stoke. i remember he gave the ball away badly which led to a goal in one of the friendlies in the advance of the world cup.

John O'Shea perhaps?

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    I think Duff up front was an OK call, Quinn couldn't really play the full 90 by then so using Duff that way allowed Quinn to come on fresh later in the game. The next best option was probably Morrison, but when it came to it against Spain he brought on Connolly instead, who I never thought was international quality other than against the minnows. I think he should have brought on Morrison there.
    Connolly was brought in because he was performing really well in training, definitely remember reading that he scored five times in a game

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Irwin was told by McCarthy in some game to "go and prove himself". Irwin rightly basically said F you and retired.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    Yes possibly O'Shea. He made his debut in the run up to the tournament but McCarthy went for Andy O'Brien over him at centre back and never played him or Dunne at the tournament. I'm not sure how much O'Shea had played as a full back at that stage but he played there a fair bit for United afterwards.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Irwin was told by McCarthy in some game to "go and prove himself". Irwin rightly basically said F you and retired.
    McCarthy badly mis-handled Denis Irwin alright. Irwin was still playing great stuff at that stage.

McCarthy made plenty of mistakes as did Roy Keane. I suppose the thing is, McCarthy was the manager and is supposed to be smarter than to be making such mistakes !!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    That was nuts from McCarthy. Irwin was 36 by the time the World Cup came around but could have offered useful cover for Harte.

It's a shame Irwin only ever played two finals games for Ireland, he just missed the 1990 World Cup at the start of his career and just missed 2002 at the end.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I'd agree fully with this take if Saipan (or something of similar "quality") had been the intended squad camp for the duration of the tournament. But, as someone else pointed out, it wasnt. It was a pitstop for a few days where the squad could relax, bond and do some light physical and tactical work. I think thats where that side of the argument falls down.

Until it resulted in players getting injured though. I think it was more than the training facilities though. It was the 3 flights they took en route, the lack of equipment and general chaos surrounding the whole camp. Even as rest and relaxation exercise it was a failure. Aside from the breezy jaunt up Suicide Hill of course.....

At least we can surely all agree that the FAI are a shower of tossers?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    I see where he's coming from, but that sounds like vanity to me. At that level, if you don't always feel like you're proving yourself, your motivation is probably flagging. He was just leaving Man Utd - he'd clearly lost a yard of pace - and I'd interpret that quote as "show me why you should start ahead of Harte", which he had no automatic right to do at that point in their careers.

Yes possibly O'Shea. He made his debut in the run up to the tournament but McCarthy went for Andy O'Brien over him at centre back and never played him or Dunne at the tournament. I'm not sure how much O'Shea had played as a full back at that stage but he played there a fair bit for United afterwards.
    O'Shea only really broke through at Man Utd the following year. He did that quite dramatically at left back, but I think he'd have been viewed as a talented but completely green centre half / right back at the time. It was only after he got his shot at left back at Man Utd the following season (I think there must have been injuries to Silvestre and Phil Neville) that it was clear he could play men's football to a high level across the back four. I never saw him play as well again at full back as that first season. I think they must have coached his attacking instincts out of him to improve his defending, but watching him nutmeg Figo before bombing up the wing against Real Madrid was glorious. Anyway, McCarthy would have taken a risk to take him; even if it might have worked out brilliantly in hindsight, I don't think it was a strange decision at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    At least we can surely all agree that the FAI are a shower of tossers?
    I think it's the site motto.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Reading it again 20 years on just reinforces my view that he didn't want to be there and if they had somehow made it to Japan he'd have just walked out over something else anyway.
    Have always thought that he was injured at the time and his frustration that he knew he wasn't going to be in proper physical condition for the tournament contributed to his mood.
    Probably a small thing but I remember discussing with a few friends at one of the warm up games a couple of weeks before (Nigeria I think) that Roy looked very out of sorts.
    The fact that he needed a hip operation that summer might back up my theory.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Reactions to Keane's interview will of course differ from person-to-person, and some might see no harm in it. But I think you can't treat it as if it's in a vacuum, it came after Keane's behavior at the camp was already bothering players and coaches, after he told people he was leaving, then staying and a constant sense that the man treated his team-mates as some terrible burden. You can easily imagine a degree of frustration building about the man, then he takes a few swipes in a newspaper. Considering Keane's club background, under a manager practically famous for a mantra that you never, ever criticise your own players in public, if it was just a case of comments with no genuine ill-intention Keane is the one player in the squad who should have known better. But I think he was in a low place, didn't really want to stay even if he had just said he did, and thus no longer cared about those kinds of things. He had checked out internally.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    One can only wonder that except for his, football talent = = Where would Roy Keane have ended up otherwise ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Not sure McCarthy would have done anything different had he known Spain were down to 10.
    We were all over them by the end of it.

Breen had a chance, Connolly came close too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I'd agree fully with this take if Saipan (or something of similar "quality") had been the intended squad camp for the duration of the tournament. But, as someone else pointed out, it wasnt. It was a pitstop for a few days where the squad could relax, bond and do some light physical and tactical work. I think thats where that side of the argument falls down.
    Fair point but even for light training for a few days a rock hard pitch and no "skips" with the kit is unacceptable.
    Keane had a point which imo he should have been able to get over but if Mick had done his job it wouldn't have arisen

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Fair point but even for light training for a few days a rock hard pitch and no "skips" with the kit is unacceptable.
    Keane had a point which imo he should have been able to get over but if Mick had done his job it wouldn't have arisen
    to be fair, i dont think its the managers responsibility to ensure the equipment arrives. there was a probably a few logistics personnel employed to look after these things. I would be very worried if there wasn't.

i cant believe that i am debating this again 20 years later!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Goes to show it hasn't been a great 20 years of international football for the Republic of Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    The buck stops with the manger but I feel a bit for McCarthy cos it seems someone royally fu##ed up with the gear and the skips.
    The team flew to Holland first because they did a deal with the Dutch FA to purchase their tickets/flight because they'd assumed they'd be going and not us.

FAI are the real culprits at the back of it all. Amateur organisation. And in our time of need when we need a real hero, one stepped in.....John Delaney
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    And it was during that transfer that Keane had the opportunity to have a pop at some journalists who had written unflattering things regards his non-appearance at the Niall Quinn testimonial.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    to have a pop at some journalists

I referred to that earlier
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Reactions to Keane's interview will of course differ from person-to-person, and some might see no harm in it. But I think you can't treat it as if it's in a vacuum, it came after Keane's behavior at the camp was already bothering players and coaches, after he told people he was leaving, then staying and a constant sense that the man treated his team-mates as some terrible burden. You can easily imagine a degree of frustration building about the man, then he takes a few swipes in a newspaper. Considering Keane's club background, under a manager practically famous for a mantra that you never, ever criticise your own players in public, if it was just a case of comments with no genuine ill-intention Keane is the one player in the squad who should have known better. But I think he was in a low place, didn't really want to stay even if he had just said he did, and thus no longer cared about those kinds of things. He had checked out internally.
    Did you do the same thing at man utd. I think it was on their in-house tv channel
    Criticised the utd team etc. Ferguson sacked him on the spot.

27. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast