Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Saipan - 20 Years On

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Definitely an interesting read. On paper Clegg definitely seems like he would have been a great addition to the back room team, but the timing would have been very odd.

If you’re McCarthy and have just guided a squad to the World Cup, are you bringing in a complete unknown person to your back room team just weeks before a major event like this? If you’ve got good squad morale/a good dynamic, I wouldn’t be doing any unnecessary tinkering with an unknown person that close to a World Cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Definitely an interesting read. On paper Clegg definitely seems like he would have been a great addition to the back room team, but the timing would have been very odd.

If you’re McCarthy and have just guided a squad to the World Cup, are you bringing in a complete unknown person to your back room team just weeks before a major event like this? If you’ve got good squad morale/a good dynamic, I wouldn’t be doing any unnecessary tinkering with an unknown person that close to a World Cup.
    And yet….I’d look at what he’d achieved with ManU and certainly strongly consider it.
    Looks like it would’ve given us an advantage over other teams

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    So one surely would expect Keane also to have advised Brian Kerr to bring Clegg on board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    So one surely would expect Keane also to have advised Brian Kerr to bring Clegg on board.
    Perhaps. Perhaps he had an open conversation with Kerr about it and Kerr explained his reasons why he wouldn't bring him onboard.
    I get the impression McCarthy would see something like that as his management of the team being undermined.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Do we know when Keane approached Mick to include Clegg? If it was in early May, with all the plans already in place, then it's unreasonable
    If it was in January, when the plans were being put together then it was probably worth a look
    On the other hand, Mick had been in the job for six years at this stage, and knew and trusted his team.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 26/05/2022 at 10:26 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Perhaps. Perhaps he had an open conversation with Kerr about it and Kerr explained his reasons why he wouldn't bring him onboard.
    I get the impression McCarthy would see something like that as his management of the team being undermined.
    McCarthy had to reject such an idea. How could he do otherwise? It was a ridiculous proposal given the circumstances. If Keane believed Clegg could make a big difference he surely would have proposed the same idea to Kerr. I doubt he ever did - Kerr would have done anything to get Keane back.

Keane's response would have been nuclear had such a late-late proposal been thrown at him at Sunderland, Ipswich, Villa or Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    one of the criticisms of our Euro 2012 finals preparation was that the players were flogged to death in the few weeks before the tournament and we suffered as a result.
    not sure what difference this lad would have made between the end on the EPL season and start of the WC. remember the wc started in late may in 2002.
    surely his kind of fitness work is something you mainly do pre-season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    surely his kind of fitness work is something you mainly do pre-season?
    Yeah, I've read numerous footballers talking about training come May being mostly light ball work and tactical stuff, especially if they've a busy run-in. The running up mountains stuff is for pre-season. That said, there's probably a good deal a top fitness coach knows about the right trade-off. If you go too far the other way, or say have a few weeks without any matches at the end of a season, there's presumably a drop-off in performance. Hitting that sweet spot where you keep the players at peak performance for the tournament is maybe harder than you'd think. It may even require personalised training depending on the player.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I would say Keane is a controlling lunatic
    Anything to interfere and gain levels of control. He attacked the man u ( no 2) Portuguese guy. Because he wasn't happy with the villa his family were. provided with for pre season in Portugal.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I would say Keane is a controlling lunatic
    Anything to interfere and gain levels of control. He attacked the man u ( no 2) Portuguese guy. Because he wasn't happy with the villa his family were. provided with for pre season in Portugal.
    That wasn’t the reason at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    But I agree Keane is a difficult character and possibly a control freak. His United team mates all seem to have respected him and got on fine with him though. And looked up to him

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    But I agree Keane is a difficult character and possibly a control freak. His United team mates all seem to have respected him and got on fine with him though. And looked up to him
    Keane was Gary Neville’s, Minder, and a good few more of that Utd team as well.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112