Thread: The phrase that pays !!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco
    Hmmm excellent idea,amazingly similar to mine
    sorry Bosco, wasn't trying to dismiss your idea at all!

On a related note, did anyone see the ad thats on TG4 at the moment? Something along the lines of "your club, your team, your soccer" or something (as gaeilge, of course)- can't remember what it was exactly. Its a good ad though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by garykelly
    The establishment of an all emcompassing organisation, representing the thought's/opinions/ of the supporters of the 22 league clubs. Sort of a professional pressure group with the aim of improving and changing the face of Irish soccer. Supporters have everything to offer plus they have a passion for what they do. A bigger version of a trust I suppose would be the job, pooling all supporters skills together. It's the only way to make a real difference.
    Sounds wonderful. Isn't there already an EL supporters' group though? In any case, I think there would be lots of people who would love to help out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    http://rapidshare.de/files/3378876/royalleague.mp4.html

Something like this may work

This was a promo film for the Royal League in Scandinavia (we could redo it as "The Very Best of Ireland")
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley
    Sounds wonderful. Isn't there already an EL supporters' group though? In any case, I think there would be lots of people who would love to help out.
    i thought they was a national one mainly for Internationals, although i'm open to correction. I did ask for more info on that organisation but got no reply so i'm not sure what point they are at. But anyway such a thing could be expanded, rebranded etc etc . Lots of possibilites out there. we just need to seize one and build on it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    What the eL needs is one of those spoof shock ads that only shown as mpeg on the web sometimes called "viral marketing". This is where company commissions an "unofficial" ad which is circulated on the web for free by people. The company can claim was never supposed to be released when the controversy hits.

Ford Ka "ad" from last year
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco
    Hmmm excellent idea,amazingly similar to mine
    Sorry Bosco, I wasn't trying to steal your idea, just to expand on it and offer my own interpretation (that's why I included a quote from your suggestion in my original post).

Again, I don't think that attacking barstoolers either implicitly or explicitly is the way to go. You don't win friends (or customers) by calling them idiots. We need to be confident in what our product has to offer.

One short-term measure that could be adopted is the widespread distribution of posters advertising the next home match. I know I've seen the odd poster here and there in the past, but if we had posters in every local Tesco or Dunnes or petrol station, etc... people would really start to take notice. They would have to be put up early (like 10-12 days before a match) and taken down ASAP after a match (so that the information is always up to date). A few years ago I remember seeing posters for Cork City v Pat's that were several weeks (maybe even months) out of date. That kind of thing does the eL a disservice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crc
    Sorry Bosco, I wasn't trying to steal your idea, just to expand on it and offer my own interpretation (that's why I included a quote from your suggestion in my original post).

Again, I don't think that attacking barstoolers either implicitly or explicitly is the way to go. You don't win friends (or customers) by calling them idiots. We need to be confident in what our product has to offer.

One short-term measure that could be adopted is the widespread distribution of posters advertising the next home match. I know I've seen the odd poster here and there in the past, but if we had posters in every local Tesco or Dunnes or petrol station, etc... people would really start to take notice. They would have to be put up early (like 10-12 days before a match) and taken down ASAP after a match (so that the information is always up to date). A few years ago I remember seeing posters for Cork City v Pat's that were several weeks (maybe even months) out of date. That kind of thing does the eL a disservice.
    Dont sweat crc,think your idea was the same as mine in my head but i didnt explain fully.As for the criticising the barstoolers,if you read my post again you'll see that that was option b,option a just being the run up to the game from a fan and that option b was just an idea
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    We don't do prawn sandwiches, but if it's passion you're after...
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    We don't do prawn sandwiches
    but we do have a fine selection of cold overpriced hot dogs with a choice of yellow or red sauce.

Maybe even ask Roy Keane to do the adverts .. if he dressed up the silly costume for walkers crisps, he'll do it for the money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Slight variation on the original ad , " red haired kerryman goes home from work(typical Gaa fan) to his chinese wife and kids ( PC) has his dinner , the family puts on their red shirts( arouse cork suspisions) , they walk to the ground( emphasis closeness) have a starbucks on the way (anti drink brigade) , sit in the family area of the ground and jump up celebrating when Shelbourne score in the first minute , then throw in some catch phrases like real football is closer than you think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    "That's My Team" - would be my phrase. It's a rip off of the NRL - Aussie Rugby League advertising campaign. There is a catchy tune that goes with it. I tried searching for a download of the ad but couldn't find one. NRL website

Even though it's a rip off, it's an ad campaign that urges supporters to get out and support your local team.

Even if you don't have a local team then it gets you thinking "Well what is my team?". "Joe Dub Barstooler" probably doesn't have a preference over who he supports in the EL. Shels, Bohs, Shams, Pats etc. So if he could associate himself with a team he is more likely to go to the odd game and eventually start going more regularly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It would be great to get a group going!

How about; Eircom League, live football, real passion, no airfare!
    Sitting pretty!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra Red

... with an image of an outraged Michael O'Leary. Shouldn't be hard to find ...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ...i thought it was 'I listen to long wave radio, Atlantic 252'
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra Red

Could even alter that and show pics of eL fans in Europe, saying "the only time we get on a plane is play in Europe" or something like that- I'm thinking clips of some of the BIG/WELL-KNOWN (in non-eL fans eyes) euro teams eL sides have played in recent years: Depor, ******, Rangers, Aberdeen, Malmo, Nantes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The Phrase

The phrase should be
    "if you dont come we will fill the ground with Romanians"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Not sure if it was ever shown in Ireland - but in the UK we had an advert running this season by Coca-Cola - tieing in with their sponsorship of the Football League.

The tie up with Coca Cola worth some £50m over three years was to help the Football League become more marketable. They have a campaign called "Real Football For Real Fans" aimed at increasing attendance amongst the Championship clubs which are currently only attract on average 65% of their capacity.

The advert in question was shot on location at Football League matches across England, features a specially formed band serenading fans with a song that celebrates their role as ‘the best thing in football’. The band, are seen performing on match days to fans from Sunderland, West Ham United, Doncaster Rovers, Bristol City, Tranmere Rovers, Bournemouth, Rushden & Diamonds, Luton Town, Boston Utd, Oldham Athletic, Grimsby Town and Huddersfield Town. The song, which was specially adapted from "The Real Thing" for the ad, is a joyful tribute to the loyalty and tireless support of the fans for their teams. It recognises the optimism and stoicism of the fans that turn up come rain or shine to support their clubs week after week.

Some Premiership fans seem to feel that the song is not aimed at them and that the “real fans” are supposedly in the Coca Cola Leagues. The fans in these leagues seem to like the rootsy feel of the song and feel it brings football back to its home.

Basically shots of the band performing outside grounds before the start of matches, in the club bars singing the song, etc.

And the song in question?

You're here
    It's cold
    The dodgy pies are 3 weeks old
    But you're the heart of it all

You wouldn't swap your lot
    For a team that's sitting at the top
    'Cos you're the cream of the crop
    You're the cream of the crop

'Cos you're the real fans
    You're the best thing in football
    You're the real fans
    You're the heart of it all

Your team goes up and down
    But you always hang around
    'Cos you're the heart of it all

The ref is blind
    You're 2 nil behind
    But you won't go home at halftime
    You'll be there to the end
    You'll be there to the end

'Cos you're the real fans
    You're the best thing in football
    You're the real fans
    You're the heart of it all

La la la la la la la...
    Worked very well in England - maybe they could tailor it to fit with the eL?
    Last edited by Réiteoir; 27/07/2005 at 12:09 PM.
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345