Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The phrase that pays !!

Was Dublin, then Madrid, then Paris, now London
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    How about something like......

"An Irish team in the Champions League? Be there when it happens, support the Eircom League."

You could make this a running theme.

"Seeing your team come back from two down to win 3-2? Be there when it happens, support the Eircom League."

"The roar of the crowd when the teams come out? Be there when it happens, support the Eircom League."

"Ollie Byrne having jovial frolics with Shamrock Rovers fans? Be there when it happens, support the Eircom League."

The last one in particular, will have the punters coming out in droves!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Gavinzac i disagree with pretty much all you points

GAA fans dont watch the games in their tens of thousands because one of their players played at a higher level years ago
    I thought GAA in Ireland was the highest level.

exciting young talents like John o Flynn are declared as gods on earth. i reckon the same principle would apply to anywhere in ireland; showcasing the best young talents rather than saying "look we got a former cameroon squad member to sign for us!!!" would work best.
    No offence to Flynnie but saying things like definatley dosn't raise the opinion of outsiders because from what I know John o'flynn and Dan Murray never played a first team game for a good 3rd division/bad 2nd division team in peterborough utd yet they come home and are some of the best players in the league! now if you could get across the point that John o'flynn is better than Dominic Foley or Georgie O'C is better than Alan Moore(I beleive both cases are true) well then you would be on to something

they watch them because they relate to the team. in Cork at least, former just-abouts (ie Liam O'Brien) are treated with contempt, and
    maybe im wrong, but generally a marketing manager would look at the best performing competition and adopt their approach

bucharest are a go no where team from romania
    I thought someone said they were Uefa cup 1/4 finalists last year??? but this wasn't what i meant, I meant results like Cork beating the swedish champions and knocking out a good dutch and not to mention Shells beating croation champions and holding La Liga highfliers to 0-0 draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I think the best route would be to trade on the famous players who started off in the EL. That allows you to establish the league's credibility whilst tapping into the barstooler's interest in other leagues.

Every barstooler would love to be able to claim that they 'discovered' Keano, McGrath, Ronnie Whelan etc when they were playing for their Eircom League clubs, and could tell "even then" that they were set for the big time. There's something in human (particularly male) psychology that loves knowing and seeing things before anyone else. Make us feel superior/smarter..

Anyhoo - I'd have an ad that did a 'then and now' of the big names who started in the EL, and then finished up with something along the lines of one of the below :

"Eircom League football. See tomorrow's legends today...."

"Be first to see Ireland's finest, with the Eircom League..."

"The new stars of Irish football - on your doorstep. The Eircom League"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "The Eircom League, becuase it counts to be Irish"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Eircon League - Because your barstooling mate's a fat cvnt with no clue and you're better than him really!
    God

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    There's something in human (particularly male) psychology that loves knowing and seeing things before anyone else. Make us feel superior/smarter..
    FACT!!!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It's not as bad as you think

Actually thinking about it, I think there were ad's doing the rounds years ago with that line.... might have been a wws special....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EnDai
    The Eircon League
    Was that intentional?
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The irish media are starting to latch onto the UK media obcession with fan owned clubs & regular fans fighting back against the huge football wages. I wonder is there anyway to attach the eL to that...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Actually a typo! Usually its not, but on this occassion it is!
    God

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl
    "An Irish team in the Champions League? Be there when it happens, support the Eircom League."

"Seeing your team come back from two down to win 3-2? Be there when it happens, support the Eircom League."

"The roar of the crowd when the teams come out? Be there when it happens, support the Eircom League."
    I like this idea. With the right pictures asnd sound effects it could work well.

Quote Originally Posted by EnDai
    The Eircom League - Because your barstooling mate's a fat cvnt with no clue and you're better than him really!
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Anyone remember the add cocacola did for the championship in england?It showed first div fans travelling to games with drums,flags etc and then at the end said "real fans".Made the supporters of lower league teams come across as more hardcore and real then those attracted to the premiership,dont think it could get anymore like the situation we have here.
    How about a clip with some decent music in the background of the lead up to a game from a fans point of view.Putting on the jersey,gathering flares,flags,drum,getting on a supporters bus,the journey to the game,singing before the game,singing during the game,celebrating a goal/win,being miserable after losing and then at the end "Real fans" coming across the screen.
    Or how about the same idea but in a split screen with the build up to a game from a barstoolers point of view on the other side abd then "Whose the real fan" might be a bit unpopular with barstoolers if it comes across as criticising them but its an idea
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Both very good ideas Bosco. Now, how do we get money to put these into action?
    God

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Try to get as many singing sections from as many clubs as possible together, and get them in their gear, putting each club together and then everyone sing a song!!! That'd be the best, we could have drums, flares and all sorts, that'd be class, get a big stand and pack it out!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco
    Anyone remember the add cocacola did for the championship in england?It showed first div fans travelling to games with drums,flags etc and then at the end said "real fans".Made the supporters of lower league teams come across as more hardcore and real then those attracted to the premiership,dont think it could get anymore like the situation we have here.
    How about a clip with some decent music in the background of the lead up to a game from a fans point of view.Putting on the jersey,gathering flares,flags,drum,getting on a supporters bus,the journey to the game,singing before the game,singing during the game,celebrating a goal/win,being miserable after losing and then at the end "Real fans" coming across the screen.
    Or how about the same idea but in a split screen with the build up to a game from a barstoolers point of view on the other side abd then "Whose the real fan" might be a bit unpopular with barstoolers if it comes across as criticising them but its an idea
    I like your idea. However - the problem is that barstoolers do not like the suggestion that they're less followers of football becuase they support a foreign club. Reminding someone of something that they refuse to accept and don't want to hear will not be sufficient to motivate a change in their behaviour.

To come-up with a motivating EL campaign you'd need to get into the minds of the barstoolers. Why do they love English and Scottish football and talk-down the Irish version ? Why do they support their home county/parish in GAA, but turn their nose up at their home football club ? What is it within the Irish game that would be appeal to them if it was cleverly presented to them - local pride ? ; genuinely feeling part of a club ? ; the live match experience without the overseas travel ? etc etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Under the Riverside, different coloured flares and flags, and one hell of a noise. Or any other large stand in any other stadium with good noise retention tbh
    God

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    West Stand in Landsdowne, probably a bit big though!!!

I think that it would make a great advert, and have some action shots of players from each club walking out the tunnel and lining up in front of us!!!

Brilliant, I'm off to apply for some jobs in advertising!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Your average person on the street doesn't know much about the eL so need to educate them about fixtures, clubs, players etc...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Your average person on the street doesn't know much about the eL so need to educate them about fixtures, clubs, players etc...
    Yeah but you can't fit all that into an ad!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    A perfect platform for all of this would be to organise all of the supporters clubs/fans groups to get a group of their 100 most vocal supporters and put on a display .... i dunno, something like each group take a section in the jodi and chant for 2 minutes ... who ever is best wins .... and all pile into the pub after to avail of the sponsored beer !!

Well something like that anyway ... get all of the footage and get lots of those furry mikes and record it all !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast