Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Embarrassment of Riches: Forwards

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Why must Knight be accommodated as a forward? He's primarily a midfielder. Robinson should be subject to form like everyone else. Obefemi might not commit. Meanwhile Keane is scoring goals for fun - but is miles behind players who aren't!
    The system allows for cullen and jeff in the middle. Knight could take Jeffs place ..won't he won't

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    The system allows for cullen and jeff in the middle. Knight could take Jeffs place ..won't he won't
    Two poor campaigns and two easy-beat competitive wins in sixteen games. The system.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Why must Knight be accommodated as a forward? He's primarily a midfielder. Robinson should be subject to form like everyone else. Obefemi might not commit. Meanwhile Keane is scoring goals for fun - but is miles behind players who aren't!
    Asking Knight to play in a midfield 2 and a midfield 3 are two different things. I'm not saying he can't do it, but you'd be restricting him from doing the things he does best.

If you consider the roles that Cullen and Hendrick are asked to play, they're generally behind the ball, doing more defensive work and early build up play, and are rarely in positions in the final third to impact. you probably want Knight to have a little more freedom

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Two poor campaigns and two easy-beat competitive wins in sixteen games. The system.
    To be fair "the system" wasn't used for much of that period - and it was at its worst when we tried to play three forwards rather than a Knight or McGrath in an advanced position alongside two forwards.

So the selection of Knight where he is being picked is sound. The rest of them can battle it out for the other two forward places.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Parrott. Robinson and obefemi are miles better then idah and Keane. They will probably turn out better then ogbene as well.

The issue we have is knight must surely be accommodated in the front three leaving two spots for the rest
    And yet Idah was the only one playing in the Premiership this season and was in good form before his season ending injury. Right now I'd actually have Idah as the current best forward we have. His performance away to Portugal was brilliant.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Idah was good away against Portugal, but that's about it really. Hauling him off in Luxembourg changed the game, by contrast.

His good Premier League form was patchy I think. A couple of poor performances (like a lot of his teammates), and a couple of good games which yielded a slightly fortunate goal, a very bad miss, and a couple of assists. I think he lacks a bit of composure in front of goal still and needs more playing time to address that.

Obafemi's form (if he pops along in June, yadda yadda yadda) is far more impressive than Idah's. 8 goals and a couple of assists in 12 games is sit-up-and-take-notice form. Parrott is also starting to deliver, albeit at a lower level and I'd like to see how he does and where he's at next season before saying he's miles better than others in the squad.

I wouldn't have Idah as the best forward we have available to us. Robinson - who I've said before isn't droppable - scored six times last autumn for example. Idah started two of those games and didn't get a sniff at goal. (I know scoring goals isn't the be-all-and-end-all for forwards, but it's a big deal nonetheless)

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Obafemis form in the last couple months has been great, but from what Ive seen of both over all I think Idah is a better player personally.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    What makes you think that? What has he done to give you that opinion? Have you watched equal amounts of them at club level? Or is it based on the fact you've just seen idah playing for Ireland and a handful of games in the premiership and not the same for obafemi?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I watched most of Swanseas games in the last couple months and watched all of Norwich games when Idah played this season.

I also watch both of them in ever u21 game they played for Ireland.

11. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123