Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Squad size

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Squad size

What do ye reckon about the size of the squad? I think Dolan had way too big a squad, but Rico seems to be going the other way. He's selling all the players he feels aren't up to it, but isn't replacing them. In the past year we've sold Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Nwankwo, Sweeney, Stephen O'Flynn, Conor O'Grady, Lopes, Colin P, Andrews, Mooney, Alan Carey and Dave Warren and replaced them with Gamble, Fenn, Danny Murphy, Willie Byrne and Roy O'Donovan.

That's a loss of seven players to the squad. We've seen how injuries can hit the team (goalkeeper situation), what happens if Dan Murray picks up a suspension and Alan Bennett gets injured. We're quite short on decent players in most positions.

It looks like we're gonna have a pretty long season between the league, UEFA and the cup, there WILL be more injuries. I defo would love to have players like O'Grady, O'Flynn and Carey still around.
    The glass isn't half full or half empty it's just too damn big!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shedite
    I defo would love to have players like O'Grady, O'Flynn and Carey still around.
    There's no point in having $hite players in the squad taking up money. We have a lot of utility players in our squad at the mo (George, Billy, Greg). Out of the players that you listed, Doyle was the only loss really. Our u21 players are the best in the country and can come in and do a job if need be (as seen with Lordan last year). The keeper situation is poxy in fairness. We only used 1 last season, theres not much point in having 4 under normal circumstances.
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Most of the players released last seaosn were not up Premier division standard.

eL clubs have to stick within budget so can't have 4 quality platers for all positions.

I think Guthrie & Lally have gone out on loan to Kilkenny as not enough quality u-21 games for them. Greg & derek can cover as centre backs if required.

I think our weakness is in wide midfield positions as only Kearney, O'Donovan & Woods available.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    I think our weakness is in wide midfield positions as only Kearney, O'Donovan & Woods available.
    And Colin as well, but you are right, we need another right winger I recon.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy.McClure
    There's no point in having $hite players in the squad taking up money. ........, Doyle was the only loss really. ...
    Agree totally. You only have to look at the financial troubles of WUFC, Rovers and others to realise that a big squad isn't realistically possible. Quality not quantity is what we need. The likes of Greg, Colin, Derek and Billy means that we have quality cover for pretty much every position in the back 4 and midfield.
    However, I think the loss of Doyle has left a hole in our squad. It looks as if Rico is currently trying to fill this space in the team. If he can bring someone in that can score goals, then I think we'll be ok for the rest of the year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I actually think we are fine with what we have, even up front we have Roy and George who could move up if Fenn, O'Flynn AND Behan are all injured! (+ McNulty if we get really badly stuck )

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think we need Roy and George in midfield.
    Given JOF's tendency to miss the odd game, that leaves us very short in attack. We could shuffle things around, but I think that still leaves us weakened elsewhere.

IF you look at who's come and gone in the last year, it's generally been a case of average players leaving and good players coming in. As a result, the first 11 improves. In Doyle's case, it's a case of a very good player leaving and not being replaced at all. Our starting 11 is weakened by this loss and I'd like to see that remedied.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Squad Size

Hi everyone this is my first post here. I think the loss of seven players was nessecary financially and agree with the example put forward about Waterford. With regards cover you have to work within budget. We have probably 17-18 players at the moment. Barring bad luck in midfield we are covered. In defence we are covered also unless bad luck comes our way. Even the goalkeeping issue managed itself okay when things went horribly wrong. Ideally we should have more cover in these areas but budget rules and we have to depend on luck rather than cripple ourselves moneywise. What about Brendan Sweeney? Why was he bought? He looked handy enough in the League Cup and that but there is no point signing and paying people if the trust to play them isnt there. Kevin Murray is still there if we need him. The area of concern of course is up front. Callaghan is miles ahead for player of the year where he is playing. One more striker. Ive been impressed with Richardson so far but this is the Leader's call! Surely within the budget there is someone out there! Who is it to be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by liamon
    In Doyle's case, it's a case of a very good player leaving and not being replaced at all.
    i think in time we'll come to accept Roy Dun as KD's natural successor, until then i have to question in what position we dont have adequate cover? admittedly the enormous run of bad luck in the keeping situation was a scare... but if all came to all we could always have asked a GAA player to stand in or something

considering greg can play pretty much anywhere but up front, billy can play pretty much anywhere but centre back, and colin o brien can play -anywhere- (and has), i think we're ok. and thats discounting neale fenn as an attacking option when he's out of the side.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Theres a certain value in having tight squad where everyone gets a few games minimum. No use having squad players who will start moaning as never get a chance.

We've have few injuries & suspensions in 1st half of season & coped fine.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

thecorner
    squad is fine the way it is

we hgave a few injuries and suspensions already and we seemd to have got on grand

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thecorner
    squad is fine the way it is

we hgave a few injuries and suspensions already and we seemd to have got on grand
    Agreed. Truth be told, the injuries and suspensions appear to have suited Rico who was able to experiment with different players without stepping on anybody's toes, and in doing so he set a pattern that the squad is there to be used, and not just to keep the bench warm.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True

Good point fair play boy and its fair to say on the same note that when the squad was so big there was no shortage of unhappy players about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    How would people feeling about Ndo at Shels joining us ? .... would he be a good addition ? .... he isn't getting much of a game at Shels and would fit right in with us !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Who would you drop for him??

He would be a good addition, but I think he would only be of use to us as a back-up player in case of injury.

thecorner
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    Who would you drop for him??

He would be a good addition, but I think he would only be of use to us as a back-up player in case of injury.
    Ndo is a fine player..if he got into team he would stay in there...somebody would lose out if they got injured..alll part of having of a squad...

but rico has said he is finished in the transfer market