Thread: Embarrassment of riches: centre half

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts

Embarrassment of riches: centre half

You’ve got Egan and Duffy. Obvious selections both turning 30 this year

You’ve got the three youngsters in the squad: Omobamidele, Collins and O’Shea.

You’ve got the championship replacements: Lenihan, Jimmy Dunne and Manning

You’ve got the premier leaguers on the outs: Clark and Kevin Long

You’ve got the current 21s: McGuinness and Cashin who are playing regularly in the championship at age 20/21

You’ve got the lads playing in Scotland: Danno Cleary, along with Conor McCarthy, Charles Dunne and Joe O’Shaughnessy, the latter two were both tipped for a call up by Jim Goodwin recently.

And the lads down in league one who have been mentioned: Conor Masterson, Luke McNally, Conor O’Shaughnessy, Sean Raggett, Warren O'Hora (considering the success of Ogbene, Bazunu - it’s hard to rule out a league 1 player)

Unless you’re prepared to go down to league 2, which seems a stretch (Pearce Sweeney, Paudie O’Connor), that’s the list exhausted as far as I know
    Last edited by elatedscum; 01/04/2022 at 3:12 AM.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Someone mentioned making this earlier today.

Also saw the alleged bid for Luke McNally from Spurs today

And an interview with Danno Cleary where he talked about international recognition and who was, for me, the outstanding LOI centre half for about 3 years and I reckon is easily a championship defender: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...leary-26605026

Similarly I hadn’t really thought of Charles Dunne or Joe O’Shaughnessy as in the international frame at all till Goodwin came out with this: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-you...n-26167673.amp (sorry about Google amp)

Goodwin told Express Sport: “I told Kenny not to forget that Charles Dunne and Joe Shaughnessy are both eligible because those two lads have been outstanding since we switched to a back four.
    “I don’t know if you’ll find a better partnership in the country right now.
    “They’re so consistent and a couple of real leaders that you would want in any team.
    “They’re also so balanced as well. Dunne is left-sided, quick and strong, and Joe right-sided and strong too.
    “They have been a real focus point and key to the success we’ve had recently. They both deserve a big pat on the back.”

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post

And an interview with Danno Cleary where he talked about international recognition and who was, for me, the outstanding LOI centre half for about 3 years and I reckon is easily a championship defender: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...leary-26605026

Similarly I hadn’t really thought of Charles Dunne or Joe O’Shaughnessy as in the international frame at all till Goodwin came out with this: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-you...n-26167673.amp (sorry about Google amp)

Goodwin told Express Sport: “I told Kenny not to forget that Charles Dunne and Joe Shaughnessy are both eligible because those two lads have been outstanding since we switched to a back four.
    “They’re so consistent and a couple of real leaders that you would want in any team.
    “They’re also so balanced as well. Dunne is left-sided, quick and strong, and Joe right-sided and strong too.
    “They have been a real focus point and key to the success we’ve had recently. They both deserve a big pat on the back.”
    You have opened a cans of worms! The resident forensic scientists will turn this into a no go zone soon enough!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts

You’ve got the current 21s: McGuinness and Cashin who are playing regularly in the championship at age 20/21

You’ve got the lads playing in Scotland: Danno Cleary, along with Conor McCarthy, Charles Dunne and Joe O’Shaughnessy, the latter two were both tipped for a call up by Jim Goodwin recently.

And the lads down in league one who have been mentioned: Conor Masterson, Luke McNally, Conor O’Shaughnessy, Sean Raggett, Warren O'Hora (considering the success of Ogbene, Bazunu - it’s hard to rule out a league 1 player)

Unless you’re prepared to go down to league 2, which seems a stretch (Pearce Sweeney, Paudie O’Connor), that’s the list exhausted as far as I know
    Sean McLoughlin is playing every week for Hull in the Championship too, has really established himself this season there. 25, signed a new three year deal last year & interestingly has played left back. He's an outsider, yes, but as we're at it ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    You have opened a cans of worms! The resident forensic scientists will turn this into a no go zone soon enough!
    Cut out the trolling.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts

He was definitely the outstanding centre half at Dundalk for about 3 years...

Great list all the same! Wouldn't be shocked to see Liam Scales have to move clubs next season and make a switch to either LCB or LB. I don't think he'll adjust to Celtic's system where he ends up playing on the inside as he goes forward but he has potential and could make it on this list at some point.

We look nicely set up for a few years anyway and I'm really excited about Collins and Omobamidele who look to have genuinely top level potential. And we have Duffy and Egan around for another while to build around.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    We look nicely set up for a few years anyway and I'm really excited about Collins and Omobamidele who look to have genuinely top level potential. And we have Duffy and Egan around for another while to build around.
    I think we may to have be a bit creative to accommodate the surplus of CB talent. Based on the other night, I could see Collins competing for a midfield position. Think he could be effective there in a similar way that McGrath was.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 01/04/2022 at 9:51 AM.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Full list of defenders in the UK here: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Posi...s?positionID=2
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    The thing about this all is that Lenihan is just making the squad and appears to be one of the best centre halves in the Championship. There are too many options ahead of him. Dunne is not making the initial squad and seems to be proving himself as a very good Championship defender. They're definitely next in the queue.

After that, it will need someone to do what Dunne has done and establish themselves at that level. The lads in Scotland are at a disadvantage given that one could argue it is comparable to League One. On top of that, none of them are so young that they need exposure and blooding for future benefit. Conor McCarthy seems to have had a couple of injury issues and them moving to a back four has seen him drop out of the team. Rotherham made a bid that was rejected last summer which, in hindsight, is very disappointing given how this season has panned out for him.

McGuinness is surely a live option given his level. After that, McNally, Masterson and O'Hora could do with stepping up to try and earn a chance but that will require withdrawals. Let's see how many of them can do it this summer. There seems to be a good chance of McNally and O'Hora achieving it by promotion or transfer.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    There's a lot of depth there now. I don't think Jake O'Brien has been mentioned yet either. For me he's been the better of he centre backs when playing beside McGuinness in the 21s. He's a huge unit, not unlike Collins and he's getting first team experience with Swindon now too having done well with Crystal Palace 23s. There's going to be a lot of players disappointed to not be making squads, never mind getting game time, in the next few years.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

What about James Abankwah? I thought he was a centre half.

To me the fact that clubs are spending decent money on Abankwah (at only 18) and McNally (Assuming it happens) is a big positive sign. Because they are both playing senior ball and all clubs analyse player performance to death now with analytics / big data tools etc - they have obviously identified something in these players.

The reality is it is much harder to asses how good a player is between 15 and 17 or if they are playing U19 / PL2 or U21 level. No hiding place in senior ball.

Potentially use of our centre halves include:
    Oshea - can do a job at full back
    Collins - can do a job at full back / potentially midfield although need to see more
    Lenihan - I think he has played FB for rovers
    Manning - can do a job full back / LWB
    Abankwah - listening to Stewie Byrne (I think) on OTB last weekend he was 100% convinced that he will end up as a midfielder (He didn't elaborate why!)
    Omobamidele - looks good on ball but haven#t seen enough of him yet

Of course no idea if above can play FB to international standard. Also even if you have a very good ball playing centre half it doesn't mean they make it as a midfielder even a defensive mid. Totally different skillset

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    While he's not a centre half, it's probably time to include Coleman on this list too. He wouldn't be the first full back to accept the pace is gone and move inside. Yes I'm holding a mirror to myself there!
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I think we may to have be a bit creative to accommodate the surplus of CB talent. Based on the other night, I could see Collins competing for a midfield position. Think he could be effective there in a similar way that McGrath was.
    I had thought the same about Omobamele previously.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    dont see collins as anything other than a cb. definitely not a full back in my mind anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I had thought the same about Omobamele previously.
    And everyone's favourite Argentinian poster has said it ad nausium about O'Shea.

Was it late Charlton era where we fielded six full backs in a starting XI? Or early McCarthy?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Was that the Portugal 3-0 game away? Or the Holland play-off? Both the tail end of Euro 96 qualifying.

Wasn't a good idea anyway!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    People vastly understimate how hard it is and how different a skillset it is to play in midfield at the top level. Just because a centre back has a bit of football about them, doesn't mean they can just play in midfield and succeed.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Of all of them Omobamidele is the one that I think looks the most like he could play centre mid. I think he's probably the most mobile and quick on the turn. As good as Collins looks he's never going to be particularly quick on the swivel and to step up to that central pivot role the one thing you really need is quick feet (see Cullen v Hourihane as evidence).

Tallaght Stadium Regular

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Was that the Portugal 3-0 game away? Or the Holland play-off? Both the tail end of Euro 96 qualifying.

Wasn't a good idea anyway!
    It was the Anfield Holland play off

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    We’d have a chance at winning A World Cup if there was one with a Team of just 11 Centre Backs on the field and only Centre Back Subs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast