Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassment of riches: centre half

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    People vastly understimate how hard it is and how different a skillset it is to play in midfield at the top level. Just because a centre back has a bit of football about them, doesn't mean they can just play in midfield and succeed.
    Agreed, theres the obvious one in recent years who seems to be able to do it, his name rhymes with Spice.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Agreed, theres the obvious one in recent years who seems to be able to do it, his name rhymes with Spice.
    Wasn't Rice a midfielder that could also play CB. Just played CB until Kouyate was sold to Palace.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Wasn't Rice a midfielder that could also play CB. Just played CB until Kouyate was sold to Palace.
    I think I remember that he started as a defender but I could be wrong

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    What about James Abankwah? I thought he was a centre half.

To me the fact that clubs are spending decent money on Abankwah (at only 18) and McNally (Assuming it happens) is a big positive sign. Because they are both playing senior ball and all clubs analyse player performance to death now with analytics / big data tools etc - they have obviously identified something in these players.

The reality is it is much harder to asses how good a player is between 15 and 17 or if they are playing U19 / PL2 or U21 level. No hiding place in senior ball.

Potentially use of our centre halves include:
    Oshea - can do a job at full back
    Collins - can do a job at full back / potentially midfield although need to see more
    Lenihan - I think he has played FB for rovers
    Manning - can do a job full back / LWB
    Abankwah - listening to Stewie Byrne (I think) on OTB last weekend he was 100% convinced that he will end up as a midfielder (He didn't elaborate why!)
    Omobamidele - looks good on ball but haven#t seen enough of him yet

Of course no idea if above can play FB to international standard. Also even if you have a very good ball playing centre half it doesn't mean they make it as a midfielder even a defensive mid. Totally different skillset
    Like Sean Roughan I think long term Abankwah's position will be CB. The way we set up now at senior level is probably the best set up for us to use long term and should be something the FAI consider whenever time comes to appoint the next manager.

Bosun Lawal is another lad that plays CB but played midfield before moving to Celtic. Think we should keep playing him in midfield rather than CB given the abundance of CBs we've got already. Unlike CB we don't have that many defensive midfielders and outside of Cullen it's all young lads in the underage. He'd also be more defensively minded than someone like Kilkenny whose more a ball player when playing as the 6.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    It was the Anfield Holland play off
    Four fullbacks, Six defenders.

Staunton (Another fullback) was missing and Phelan took his place on the left of midfield, though there was no need to pick Kenna ahead of McAteer and Houghton. I think Jack was worried about the pacy Dutch wingers after what had happened in the World Cup defeat.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Mazeed Ogungbo on the bench for Arsenal tonight. Was with our Under 20s last week. Good to see an Irish player making the bench for Arsenal in the league, but he is, of course, a centre back.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    If he plays for us and makes it at senior level would slot in nicely at LCB. Played LB with the 19s just before underage footballer came to a halt and has played LB/LWB for Arsenal 23s this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    A good left wing back would be even more welcome, of course, but Arsenal seem to really have gotten their act together, so him making their bench is no small achievement.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    A good left wing back would be even more welcome, of course, but Arsenal seem to really have gotten their act together, so him making their bench is no small achievement.
    You obviously didn't see them last night! Tierney injured, possibly for the season. His replacement Tavares was subbed early having had a tough time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    That might be an opportunity for Ogungo, no?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    You'd think so, though I'd say an improvised solution like Zhaka at LWB is more likely.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    I'm not sure if you'd call it an embarrassment of riches - maybe an embarrassment of depth - but by my count 23 clubs in the Championship and League 1 now have at least one Irish centre back in their first team squads (in some cases more than one). Will probably be more by the time the season starts.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I'm not sure if you'd call it an embarrassment of riches - maybe an embarrassment of depth - but by my count 23 clubs in the Championship and League 1 now have at least one Irish centre back in their first team squads (in some cases more than one). Will probably be more by the time the season starts.
    In centre-back terms for a small football country like Ireland that is Riches.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I’m nearly sure there was a weekend soon after WC2002 where we had 7 CBs play in a Premiership fixture. I think….
    Steve Staunton
    Phil Babb
    Gary Doherty
    Andy O’Brien
    Kenny Cunningham
    Gary Breen
    Richie Dunne

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    I’m nearly sure there was a weekend soon after WC2002 where we had 7 CBs play in a Premiership fixture. I think….
    Steve Staunton
    Phil Babb
    Gary Doherty
    Andy O’Brien
    Kenny Cunningham
    Gary Breen
    Richie Dunne
    John O'Shea made 32 league appearances for United in 2002/03 and I think Kenna was playing at centre-back for Birmingham that season, too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Steve Staunton
    Phil Babb
    Gary Doherty
    Andy O’Brien
    Kenny Cunningham
    Gary Breen
    Richie Dunne
    Think it’s fair to say one or two of those guys wouldn’t be playing in the PL if they were playing today.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Was Gary Doherty playing CF or CB that week?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Was Gary Doherty playing CF or CB that week?
    From what I remember it was often hard to tell where he was playing and who for. Had him and Babb in mind with the last post. Babb looked decent early on for us and Liverpool, but seemed to unwind and became a bit of a liability.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Think it’s fair to say one or two of those guys wouldn’t be playing in the PL if they were playing today.
    Would any of those players, at that point in their careers, be capable of playing at PL level now?

Maybe Dunne.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Staunton was well into the veteran stage at that point, may have been a squad player in the Premier League today, similar to Coleman at Everton.

Babb was over promoted with the Liverpool move in the 90s, I don't think he'd have been good enough for the league today. I'm not sure he even was back then.

Doherty was a Championship standard player then, let alone now. No way he'd get near a Spurs team today.

Andy O’Brien was actually quite well regarded at that point, maybe a bottom 6 EPL team if he was around now?

Cunningham would be a good EPL squad player if he was at his peak today I think.

Breen probably mid table Championship, I like the guy but he always had a mistake in him.

Richie Dunne was still in his early career status in terms of fitness at that point (overweight and under conditioned). He'd probably have been on loan in the Championship in today's league in that condition - but would go on to be a great EPL player in time.

25. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast