Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Lithuania - Tuesday, 29th March 2022 - Friendly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    I've also read that Giles had ambitions to turn Shamrock Rovers into a European footballing powerhouse. I wonder if this seemed at all realistic at the time.
    You are correct about that. I was living in Ireland at the time and remember Giles's return from England, to Rovers. He did in fact have big plans for Rovers but he quickly became disillusioned by (a) the negativity of people in Ireland towards his visions - a common theme at the time and (b) the state of the pitches in Ireland. The momentum went out of the plan and eventually another dream for Irish domestic football died.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    You are correct about that. I was living in Ireland at the time and remember Giles's return from England, to Rovers. He did in fact have big plans for Rovers but he quickly became disillusioned by (a) the negativity of people in Ireland towards his visions - a common theme at the time and (b) the state of the pitches in Ireland. The momentum went out of the plan and eventually another dream for Irish domestic football died.
    Surprising that Eamonn Dunphy did not sort everything out (wink)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    The sticking point was club mergers. I suggested that too many clubs in Dublin for example was a barrier to sustainability.
    Well there you go. As reasonable as that might seem to someone who doesn't support Irish club football, approaching the argument with people who love their clubs from an angle that involves their clubs disappearing isn't going to be taken well. Lots of debate on the All Ireland league on the LoI section of the forum. I know plenty of people in favour so if you wanted to chat about that I don't think you'd be met with hostility. As Stu says, people night disagree on the outcome of it but "the entire league of Ireland confraternity" won't attack you!

Back on topic though, I'm even more annoyed now that Ronan wasn't in the squad and I think we agree there? Kenny needs to adjust his policy of patience when it comes to bringing players into the set up. We don't have that many games to play with options.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Well there you go. As reasonable as that might seem to someone who doesn't support Irish club football, approaching the argument with people who love their clubs from an angle that involves their clubs disappearing isn't going to be taken well. Lots of debate on the All Ireland league on the LoI section of the forum. I know plenty of people in favour so if you wanted to chat about that I don't think you'd be met with hostility. As Stu says, people night disagree on the outcome of it but "the entire league of Ireland confraternity" won't attack you!

Back on topic though, I'm even more annoyed now that Ronan wasn't in the squad and I think we agree there? Kenny needs to adjust his policy of patience when it comes to bringing players into the set up. We don't have that many games to play with options.
    I’ve long since given up on offering thoughts on restructuring Irish domestic soccer, and I wasn’t being literal when referencing the “entire LOI confraternity.” We definitely agree on Ronan. Noticed he was MoM for St Mirren again yesterday according to BBC. I think he’s one of those players who will be more effective playing at a higher level. The paradox is that it’s probably his stature / physique that counts against him getting a chance at a higher level, when his technical ability will probably count more there in any case. Similar in that respect to Wes who could have been playing at a higher level much earlier in his career.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I’ve long since given up on offering thoughts on restructuring Irish domestic soccer, and I wasn’t being literal when referencing the “entire LOI confraternity.” We definitely agree on Ronan. Noticed he was MoM for St Mirren again yesterday according to BBC. I think he’s one of those players who will be more effective playing at a higher level. The paradox is that it’s probably his stature / physique that counts against him getting a chance at a higher level, when his technical ability will probably count more there in any case. Similar in that respect to Wes who could have been playing at a higher level much earlier in his career.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you could go to a few games? Bums on seats will get us closer to having teams compete at higher levels in Europe before any great restructuring will. There's good people trying to move the game on with limited funds and you could always become a member of a club which would give your opinions on any restructuring a lot more weight.

Will have to start watching Ronans games. I saw him for the 21s and he looked great but I'm not sure where he is playing now or where he would slot into the Irish side.

I'm sure someone here can offer a bit of insight?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Thread locked and archived
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112