Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Lithuania - Tuesday, 29th March 2022 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    yeah we deserved more in portugal. think overall we did a good job on them. most of their shots were long rangers or blocked down we really snuffed them out for 80+ mins and had chances ourselves on the counter. all in all though draw probably fair but when you look at the serbia game in dublin we deserved nothing from that and got a draw. so it all balances itself out IMO

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    No Ronan or Dunne tonight. Bit disappointing but understandable with no injuries or pullouts from the last game…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    No Ronan or Dunne tonight. Bit disappointing but understandable with no injuries or pullouts from the last game…
    Disappointed about Ronan. I wonder is it a case that he hasn't shown up well-enough in training to merit a squad place, or is there other areas where Kenny wants to experiment in, while trying to go for a win and keep momentum going.

FWIW...assuming we can still only pick 11 players (eesh):

-------------- Kells ---

------ OShea Collins Egan ----------
    Doc -------------------------- Manning
    ------ Molumby -- Hendrick --------

-----Ogbene -------- Parrott ---
    -------------- Keane -------------
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I think Kenny likes to get players in for a full camp and make an assessment on them, but he won't push the new players ahead of the more established ones unless his hand is forced by injury or they're really exceptional. If they've done well in the camp overall, they'll probably bump someone else from the next squad and see some minutes. I'm not sure it makes an awful lot of sense but I do think there's some evidence that it is his preferred approach.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    No Ronan is disapointing, would have liked to see him make his debut
    Dunne is a little more understandable, the squad is stocked with centre halves, but would still have been nice to see him at least names as a sub
    Will there be a goalkeeping debut? Giving kelleher 180 minutes across the two games feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    It's his opinion. Get over it! He's not a fan of Stephen Kenny (is that banned?). He has bravely stood his ground against the barrage. "Mod him, mod him good", comes the rabid cry. He's now ordered to answer "questions" or face disciplinary action. Unbelievable. But I offer a solution: Rename this thread The Stephen Kenny Appreciation Society and declare it a democracy-free zone.
    Consistent trolling and pointing the finger at Stephen Kenny has grown tiresome, and downright petty.

Arguing his point would be one thing, but when it becomes repetitive and boring, then mods are right to call him out on it.

And give over with the "bravely stood his ground" nonsense. There's nothing brave about ignoring questions and insisting everyone is wrong but him.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I hope Cullen doesn’t turn out to be one of our injury prone talented midfield players. I’d have thought there was a case for calling up Dan Crowley or whoever is the next best ‘creative’ player. I’m glad Hendrick is aging well. He was rightfully slated for a couple of ragged performances a good while ago, but since then he’s been a good boy.
    I’ll go for 3 - 0.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Cullen hasn't shown any signs of injury proneness though has he? Ever present for Anderlecht, almost always available for Ireland. One suspension?

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I had thought Josh was out of this game due to injury.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Really disappointed about Ronan. I honestly think he has shown more for St Mirren than McGrath had before he was called up and got caps. Why call someone up and not even put them on the bench. Is there even any limit on the number of subs we can name for friendly games? It really comes across as a bit of a snub. I hope he doesn't get too discouraged by the experience. I think he's a proper player and will prove himself as an international at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    UEFA limit matchday squads to 23 AFAIK
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Answer the questions BS, you have until kick off tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Really disappointed about Ronan. I honestly think he has shown more for St Mirren than McGrath had before he was called up and got caps. Why call someone up and not even put them on the bench. Is there even any limit on the number of subs we can name for friendly games? It really comes across as a bit of a snub. I hope he doesn't get too discouraged by the experience. I think he's a proper player and will prove himself as an international at some point.
    To be fair this is how Kenny has handled most call ups. Very few go straight into the squads let alone get minutes. Dan McDonnell reported on the trend earlier. I'm disappointed too though as I've really liked the look of Ronan when I've seen him.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Just to be devils advocate, and Ive used this argument about Jack Byrne before too. Its possible that once Ronan was surrounded by better players in training with the Ireland squad that he didnt stand out as much as he does in a poorer league. Im not a fan of Hourihane but Ive always said that if you put him into the LOI he would instantly look like a world beater, it would probably be the same at St Mirren.

The most likely scenario is that he is being integrated slowly like others before him, but if he went in and was amazing in training Im pretty sure he would be in the squad

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Yes me too but Keith Andrews was saying Parrott has been super in training, much better than he has been in previous camps. So this elevates Parrott (I'm sure there's a kind of pun there) over Ronan, and picking Parrott and/or Keane will necessitate omitting at least one of Ogbene, Robinson and Knight I think, so seen like that you can understand Ronan's inclusion.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Kenny does know Ronan well so I doubt it's a case of him not being ready to play with the players in the team. I'd say McEneff was a better example of that scenario than Byrne anyway. Byrne did play under two different managers so clearly looked fine in training however you feel about his impact on the field.

Ronan has plenty of time. Talk of snubs is a bit OTT for me. The same sort of stuff was said about Will Keanes first call up and here he is back in the squad getting minutes. If you believe Kenny has a system then it's not bonkers to think he wants to gradually bring players through as the learn it.

Still disappointing though. We always have a creative player waiting in the wings who might just be the next....Wes....well hopefully not I guess...because in that case he will stay in the wings.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    I was listing some of the players McCarthy introduced. He would have introduced more but they were left with the u21's for Kenny. These players were going to be introduced no matter who was in charge.

Building for the future is not playing 32 and 33 year olds in friendly matches. Do you think that's building for the future? Again, he was picking what he thought were the best 11 available to him up until Luxembourg. Look at the nations league prior to that.

Kenny is speaking out of both sides of his mouth. I'm not sure what your last sentence is about? Is that meant to be a witty remark or something?
    Eh, weren’t you the one complaining about Darren Randolph being cast aside on another thread ? Talk about wanting it both ways. Once again, any point in service of your agenda of having a go at the manager.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Switzerland got to the European championship quarter finals beating France and losing to Spain on penalties. Denmark got to the European semi finals only losing in extra time. We battered Denmark in the final group game after drawing with them away. We should have qualified ahead of them.
    😂
    Should have, eh ? We should have beaten Slovakia in the play off, yet that was a disaster for you. So should have is good enough for McCarthy, but not for Kenny. Gotcha. How do you think we are playing at the moment ?
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status...Oc35NAVxACGQpw

6 changes. Looks like:
    CK
    O'Shea Egan Collins
    Doherty Hourihane Browne Manning
    Ogbene Keane Robinson

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I really don't like that midfield partnership. I don't fancy Hourihane, full stop, and don't mind Browne but not there beside a weak partner. I don't know what we will learn from playing that pair beside eachother.

Otherwise, really happy to see O'Shea get a start. Hopefully it will do his confidence some good. Also looking forward to seeing Collins, Manning and Keane. Would loved to have seen Parrott start but no major complaints on the front 3.

28. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I really don't like that midfield partnership. I don't fancy Hourihane, full stop, and don't mind Browne but not there beside a weak partner. I don't know what we will learn from playing that pair beside eachother.

Otherwise, really happy to see O'Shea get a start. Hopefully it will do his confidence some good. Also looking forward to seeing Collins, Manning and Keane. Would loved to have seen Parrott start but no major complaints on the front 3.
    100% agreed with all of this

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast