Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Lithuania - Tuesday, 29th March 2022 - Friendly

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    So in your world, looking at Irish soccer, the past is completely in control of the future and informs all outcomes from there.

Is that fair to say ?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I've missed this, they've crawled back out,it was a very long hibernation for some. Giddy up, Yeo!

Some serious giddiness going on, not seen since the girl guides first outing back down Killarney 1990
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Yeah we lost a game we shouldnt have, in an empty stadium that was a bit of a leveler. We went on to hammer them in the 2nd game. We were brilliant away in Portugal and were unlucky to lose. If I remember rightly we were unlucky enough away to Serbia too, but we drew with both of them at home and cost Portugal automatic qualification.

Mick had a similar game to our loss to Luxemborg when we were blessed to beat Gibraltar 1 nil. Gibraltar who are a team of semi Professionals, it took a great save from Randolph to win the game. Both games were awful performances.

The difference in this campaign is that we got better as it went on, and judging by the performance at the weekend, that momentum is continuing. The buzz that is back in the stadium is obvious. The fans are enjoying watching us again, but Im sure you think that they are all wrong and you are right.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    You can't answer me can you ?
    You're not able to.
    He doesn't answer questions... best to just leave it at that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    He doesn't answer questions... best to just leave it at that.
    Ah I know but I've had my fun & thats all that matters.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Sure if we cant enjoy good performances then whats the point

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I've missed this, they've crawled back out,it was a very long hibernation for some. Giddy up, Yeo!

Some serious giddiness going on, not seen since the girl guides first outing back down Killarney 1990
    Some of us have been crawling around here the whole time while things weren't great for our point of view. Enjoying the fruits now I must say

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Answer the questions BS, you have until kick off tomorrow

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Good man tets, Mod him. Mod him good.

This ever shifting always undisclosed anti SK criticism threshold needs a firm hand.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    FTR, he was asked

If every game should be a referendum on the competency of our manager.

If, having criticised playing experienced players he would support youth over result tomorrow.

What represents the SK regime 'crash' he brought up, and was offered various options within context of our performance internationally over our 100 year span, or the option to outline his own view of this foretold crash and what it might be.

And in line with his default thrashing of SK via the sides early results as a reply to everything, I asked if the past informs future outcomes ( particularly interested in that one TBH )

None were answered, not one.

In your own time there BS
    Or until KO time anyway

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    I'd also like to hear the theory as to why Barry, who was responsible for any improvement to Kenny's team, couldn't get one over on Kenny when he faced him and even had a better squad of players. We moved pretty quickly from that to "he's not building for the future" but I don't think you could have asked for a more perfect refutation of the idea Barry was the sole mastermind of anything good happening with Ireland than the scenario that played out.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Good man tets, Mod him. Mod him good.

This ever shifting always undisclosed anti SK criticism threshold needs a firm hand.
    It's his opinion. Get over it! He's not a fan of Stephen Kenny (is that banned?). He has bravely stood his ground against the barrage. "Mod him, mod him good", comes the rabid cry. He's now ordered to answer "questions" or face disciplinary action. Unbelievable. But I offer a solution: Rename this thread The Stephen Kenny Appreciation Society and declare it a democracy-free zone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Arguing in bad faith is trolling. It doesn't matter what side of what argument. Please stay on topic.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I have been answering questions but none were being answered back. I've asked what exactly has Kenny achieved across 2 threads and how is playing 32 and 33 year olds building for the future. I'm not sure why I should continue to answer a list of questions when none are answered back. Unlike the Kenny zealots, I think you should mod everyone good.

It's like being on trial for daring to criticise the glorious leader. 😂

As it happens, I have to work now and then go to the match unlike some of the Kenny cult members here. 😀

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Yeah we lost a game we shouldnt have, in an empty stadium that was a bit of a leveler. We went on to hammer them in the 2nd game. We were brilliant away in Portugal and were unlucky to lose. If I remember rightly we were unlucky enough away to Serbia too, but we drew with both of them at home and cost Portugal automatic qualification.
    Slight bit of revisionism there I think. We were struggling in Luxembourg - they even had a goal ruled out for a soft foul - until we got a deflected break 25 minutes from the end, and we hammered them after that. Serbia outplayed us in Belgrade and while you can argue the Connolly penalty call, we had no right getting a result off them. And we didn't cost Portugal qualification - the reason they could leave some players out against us in Dublin was that a draw or a win left them with the same requirement from their last game.

That's not to defend boomers, I hasten to add

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    I have been answering questions but none were being answered back. I've asked what exactly has Kenny achieved across 2 threads and how is playing 32 and 33 year olds building for the future. I'm not sure why I should continue to answer a list of questions when none are answered back. Unlike the Kenny zealots, I think you should mod everyone good.

It's like being on trial for daring to criticise the glorious leader. 

As it happens, I have to work now and then go to the match unlike some of the Kenny cult members here. 
    Should McClean(32) and Coleman(33) have been dropped?

And answer these, or provide quotes of the answers you've already posted
    FTR, he was asked

If every game should be a referendum on the competency of our manager.

If, having criticised playing experienced players he would support youth over result tomorrow.

What represents the SK regime 'crash' he brought up, and was offered various options within context of our performance internationally over our 100 year span, or the option to outline his own view of this foretold crash and what it might be.

And in line with his default thrashing of SK via the sides early results as a reply to everything, I asked if the past informs future outcomes ( particularly interested in that one TBH )

None were answered, not one.

In your own time there BS
    Or until KO time anyway
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 29/03/2022 at 3:41 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Slight bit of revisionism there I think. We were struggling in Luxembourg - they even had a goal ruled out for a soft foul - until we got a deflected break 25 minutes from the end, and we hammered them after that. Serbia outplayed us in Belgrade and while you can argue the Connolly penalty call, we had no right getting a result off them. And we didn't cost Portugal qualification - the reason they could leave some players out against us in Dublin was that a draw or a win left them with the same requirement from their last game.

That's not to defend boomers, I hasten to add
    Costing Portugal qualification might have been a stretch to be fair but rightly or wrongly that's how my Portuguese inlaws and friends look at it. It gets mentioned to me regularly. They are also a bit sheepish over how they beat us out there, my brother in law especially thinks we should have won that game. All in the context that they were laughing at me even suggesting that we could be competitive against them, they expected to beat us 4 or 5 nil based on our form before the game in Portugal. That night in Faro seems to be when Kenny started to turn things around, we were brilliant and very unlucky to lose.

Yes in Belgrade it was a bit different, we were missing a lot of players though and Travers made a poor mistake but we were competitive and on another night could have gotten a draw. The home game against Serbia I actually thought we were poor enough but managed to grab that late goal.

The Serbia and Portugal games were brought up in contrast to the Denmark and Switzerland games in previous group where the myth that we were more competitive against better teams under McCarthy was being used as a stick to beat Kenny. In the over overall context of the qualification campaign we were poor to start but we got better as it went on and we were competitive in the 4 games against the top 2 teams.

I don't know the stats, but in the away game to Switzerland in previous group it felt like we had about 15% possession and were battered off the park. It felt like we'd never be competitive again.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Costing Portugal qualification might have been a stretch to be fair but rightly or wrongly that's how my Portuguese inlaws and friends look at it. It gets mentioned to me regularly.
    That's strange - cos it's not a stretch, it's just factually wrong! It's why they left Diogo Jota, Moutinho, Ruben Dias and Renato Sanchez out of the team against us but had them back in against Serbia three days later.

It may become one of those things like how the USSR equaliser cost us in Euro 88 (even though it didn't).

I think saying we deserved to win in Portugal is a stretch too. Another night we'd have lost 4-0 (early penalty, then they hit the post, then missed an open goal). We took our chance from a set piece well, defended doggedly, created very little, and came unstuck at the end unfortunately - but Portugal would have been left wondering how they didn't get anything out of the game if they'd won. It was still an unexpectedly good performance though and comparable in its own way to what Mick achieved against his top seeds. There's no way we were going to get a draw in Belgrade though (we were steeped to get one in Dublin).

There's stats on that Switzerland game here - 60/40 possession, and 19 shots v 10. That surprises me to be honest!

But yeah, overall I don't think the comparison between SUI/DEN and POR/SER is quite as bad as boomers is making out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    It might be factually wrong but that's their perception of it. It was brought up again last week when they were playing in playoffs.

I disagree on your assessment of the game in Faro. Penalty came from bad error from Bazunu that he redeemed. We also had some great chances, Connolly alone on another night could have scored a couple and he definitely should have had a penalty. To say on another night it could have been 4 nil to Portugal really doesn't feel how that game went.

28. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's strange - cos it's not a stretch, it's just factually wrong! It's why they left Diogo Jota, Moutinho, Ruben Dias and Renato Sanchez out of the team against us but had them back in against Serbia three days later.

It may become one of those things like how the USSR equaliser cost us in Euro 88 (even though it didn't).

I think saying we deserved to win in Portugal is a stretch too. Another night we'd have lost 4-0 (early penalty, then they hit the post, then missed an open goal). We took our chance from a set piece well, defended doggedly, created very little, and came unstuck at the end unfortunately - but Portugal would have been left wondering how they didn't get anything out of the game if they'd won. It was still an unexpectedly good performance though and comparable in its own way to what Mick achieved against his top seeds. There's no way we were going to get a draw in Belgrade though (we were steeped to get one in Dublin).

There's stats on that Switzerland game here - 60/40 possession, and 19 shots v 10. That surprises me to be honest!

But yeah, overall I don't think the comparison between SUI/DEN and POR/SER is quite as bad as boomers is making out.
    I think if we got the obvious penalty where Connolly was fouled against Serbia at 1-1 in the second half, we would most likely have gone home with points.
    https://twitter.com/markmccadden/sta...123012099?s=21

I know it’s revisionist but the early penalty wasn’t a penalty. Ref gave it, Var told him that it wasn’t a penalty and Hendrick won the ball, and the ref, infatuated with Ronaldo and his own place in history, decided to give it anyway…

Similarly, if we got the penalty against Portugal at 1-0 where Connolly was fouled, the same thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm...tm_name=iossmf

30. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast