Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Lithuania - Tuesday, 29th March 2022 - Friendly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    agree with all of that. molumby more of a 'destroyer' type who can win you the ball back at will but once he has it hes not nearly as good as someone like cullen at circulating it. Really need one of those two 21s to kick on. its hard to see a role for molumby in this team imo unless his on the ball stuff improves.
    Crazy to see how Cullen went from not being able to get a look in during the Nation's League to being the first name on the team sheet in the last 12months. Probably wouldn't have gotten that chance 12 months ago either if it wasn't for injuries and poor form of others.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Yeah, we are. We have introduced a multitude of new, young players and given them caps in the last two years.

Bazunu, Kelleher, Collins, O'Shea, Omobamidele, Collins, McGrath, Knight, Molumby, Idah, Ogbene, Manning. Connolly & Parrott featured more regularly than they had under previous.

Call ups for a host of others Jack Taylor, Conor Coventry, Liam Scales, Danny Mandroiu and Aaron McEneff.

The game and selection against Lithuania has absolutely nothing to do with the question you asked given the evidence i just provided above. Momentum is also important. But, even with that, he has already said he will make changes for it.
    McCarthy was introducing those players! Have a look at his squads. Connolly, O Shea, Byrne, O Connor, Travers etc etc. Kenny was picking what he considered to be the best players available irrespective of age or looking to the future right up till we lost to Luxembourg. I'm talking about competitive games here. The narrative changed after the Luxembourg game.

Against Belgium we saw the same. Why are 32 and 33 year olds being picked in friendlies if we're building for the future? It doesn't add up. Why aren't players being introduced off the bench even? A game against Lithuania isn't much of a test for them.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Well Boomers, I hope he makes all the changes he wants & pays not one bit of attention to the noisy nub of non believers seeking to turn any and every setback into a referendum on the competency of his tenure. Wouldn't you agree ?
    You can't have it every way. Results don't matter because we're building on one hand but then pick full strength teams and treat friendlies like qualifying matches on the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    McCarthy was introducing those players! Have a look at his squads. Connolly, O Shea, Byrne, O Connor, Travers etc etc. Kenny was picking what he considered to be the best players available irrespective of age or looking to the future right up till we lost to Luxembourg. I'm talking about competitive games here. The narrative changed after the Luxembourg game.

Against Belgium we saw the same. Why are 32 and 33 year olds being picked in friendlies if we're building for the future? It doesn't add up. Why aren't players being introduced off the bench even? A game against Lithuania isn't much of a test for them.
    Firstly, i didnt mention Byrne, O'Connor or Travers in my list. I qualified Connolly and mentioned that O'Shea got his first cap under SK.

Secondly, does "building for the future" mean, to you, that you field only a team of U25's or debutantes in friendlies? Really? Does the 2 years of providing caps to new, young players in competitive games and friendlies not convince you sufficiently that he is building the future? I find that quite strange. Does he not get the right to balance experimentation with maintaining momentum? Would it not make sense to bring a handful in to start and then some of the other new players in off the bench? Is it really an all or nothing proposition?

Thirdly, whatever Boomer!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Firstly, i didnt mention Byrne, O'Connor or Travers in my list. I qualified Connolly and mentioned that O'Shea got his first cap under SK.

Secondly, does "building for the future" mean, to you, that you field only a team of U25's or debutantes in friendlies? Really? Does the 2 years of providing caps to new, young players in competitive games and friendlies not convince you sufficiently that he is building the future? I find that quite strange. Does he not get the right to balance experimentation with maintaining momentum? Would it not make sense to bring a handful in to start and then some of the other new players in off the bench? Is it really an all or nothing proposition?

Thirdly, whatever Boomer!
    I was listing some of the players McCarthy introduced. He would have introduced more but they were left with the u21's for Kenny. These players were going to be introduced no matter who was in charge.

Building for the future is not playing 32 and 33 year olds in friendly matches. Do you think that's building for the future? Again, he was picking what he thought were the best 11 available to him up until Luxembourg. Look at the nations league prior to that.

Kenny is speaking out of both sides of his mouth. I'm not sure what your last sentence is about? Is that meant to be a witty remark or something?

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    When the 32 and 33 year year olds are still playing at a higher level and are almost certain to be fully involved in our next qualifying campaign it would be negligent not to be including them. The team is in transition, the older players are learning the new style and system as much as the younger ones. There needs to be at least some continuity. Some of the lads who don’t have a future like Long and Randolph have already been phased out. I’m sure more will follow as what they bring to the squad is out balanced by their deterioration due to age.

Let’s not forget that there’s constant talk about the great atmosphere in the squad and the relationships between the players. I’ve no doubt that in some cases where it’s been a relatively close call on ability Kenny is selecting the personality that fits better. The experienced lads are important in that respect too and you need at least one or two on the field in all but the most meaningless of friendlies and we all know at the moment every game is still very meaningful for Kenny and the squad.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Building for the future is not playing 32 and 33 year olds in friendly matches. Do you think that's building for the future
    So, he would have your support tomorrow, to change the side comprehensively, thus maybe sacrificing the result, in order to bring players we'll soon enough need into the fold ? Is that your position ?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    When the 32 and 33 year year olds are still playing at a higher level and are almost certain to be fully involved in our next qualifying campaign it would be negligent not to be including them. The team is in transition, the older players are learning the new style and system as much as the younger ones. There needs to be at least some continuity. Some of the lads who don’t have a future like Long and Randolph have already been phased out. I’m sure more will follow as what they bring to the squad is out balanced by their deterioration due to age.

Let’s not forget that there’s constant talk about the great atmosphere in the squad and the relationships between the players. I’ve no doubt that in some cases where it’s been a relatively close call on ability Kenny is selecting the personality that fits better. The experienced lads are important in that respect too and you need at least one or two on the field in all but the most meaningless of friendlies and we all know at the moment every game is still very meaningful for Kenny and the squad.
    The narrative changed when we got beaten by Luxembourg and knocked out of world cup qualifying. That tournament didn't matter and it was all about building for 2024 all of a sudden. If that's the excuse for horrendous results, then why were players who are unlikely to make 2024 being played and continue to be selected?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    So, he would have your support tomorrow, to change the side comprehensively, thus maybe sacrificing the result, in order to bring players we'll soon enough need into the fold ? Is that your position ?
    That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm pointing out that you and others have been taken by a snake oil salesman. You've fallen for the bluster and spin. The actual facts are that Kenny's reign has been a disaster, on a par with Staunton's reign. You wouldn't think that reading his media pals pieces and some sections of our support. But we'll beat Lithuania and the hype train will continue until it finally crashes and everyone realises that Kenny is just a chancer who should neve have been let near our senior team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    But we'll beat Lithuania and the hype train will continue until it finally crashes and everyone realises that Kenny is just a chancer who should neve have been let near our senior team.
    Now we're getting to it & at least you've the decency to come on here & argue it unlike the number of conspicuous by their absence grass snakes lads who we'll hear from again when a result suits their narrative I'm sure.

What represents a crash to you ?

A loss in a qualifying game ?
    A failure to qualify ?

Given that, 88 to 94 anomaly apart we have no track record of consistently qualifying for tournaments anyway & scant key game victories, plenty draws, some of use, most not.

Genuinely interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I was listing some of the players McCarthy introduced. He would have introduced more but they were left with the u21's for Kenny. These players were going to be introduced no matter who was in charge.

Building for the future is not playing 32 and 33 year olds in friendly matches. Do you think that's building for the future? Again, he was picking what he thought were the best 11 available to him up until Luxembourg. Look at the nations league prior to that.

Kenny is speaking out of both sides of his mouth. I'm not sure what your last sentence is about? Is that meant to be a witty remark or something?
    Why did you list some of the players McCarthy introduced? You seem to have some sort of yearning for Mick to return - as well as Darren Randolph - but for the 5 players you highlighted in terms of bringing new/young through, i listed 17 (I forgot Ronan actually, make that 18) and that was leaving aside players like Keane and Szmodics who are older and/or havent really featured in a squad. You asked a question "is he really building for the future" - - i think you have the facts there.

Choose to ignore them i suppose but i would like to see if you might not ignore the other questions i asked in my post about the Lithuania friendly and why the need to drop 32 and 33 year olds to prove that he is building for the future. I suppose you chose to ignore those questions because it points out the farce of your position on Kenny. For reference:
    - Secondly, does "building for the future" mean, to you, that you field only a team of U25's or debutantes in friendlies? Really?
    - Does the 2 years of providing caps to new, young players in competitive games and friendlies not convince you sufficiently that he is building the future? I find that quite strange.
    - Does he not get the right to balance experimentation with maintaining momentum?
    - Would it not make sense to bring a handful in to start and then some of the other new players in off the bench?
    - Is it really an all or nothing proposition?
    On another note, you think that SK's reign has been a disaster. Does improvement count for anything? Or is the Luxembourg defeat his forever career defining moment for you Boomer?

First 10 games: 0-4-6
    Last 10 games: 4-5-1
    Belgium drawn friendly was his 21st.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Now we're getting to it & at least you've the decency to come on here & argue it unlike the number of conspicuous by their absence grass snakes lads who we'll hear from again when a result suits their narrative I'm sure.

A loss in a qualifying game ?
    A failure to qualify ?

Given that, 88 to 94 anomaly apart we have no track record of consistently qualifying for tournaments anyway & scant key game victories, plenty draws, some of use, most not.

Genuinely interested.
    Kenny took over a team battling it out with European championship contenders, he dragged the team down to battling it out with European minnows. Thems the facts. What results has he actually achieved as Ireland manager?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Kenny took over a team battling it out with European championship contenders, he dragged the team down to battling it out with European minnows. Thems the facts. What results has he actually achieved as Ireland manager?
    Now now Boomers ....

You yourself said " untill it finally crashes "

So by that you're saying the crash is yet to come.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Why did you list some of the players McCarthy introduced? You seem to have some sort of yearning for Mick to return - as well as Darren Randolph - but for the 5 players you highlighted in terms of bringing new/young through, i listed 17 (I forgot Ronan actually, make that 18) and that was leaving aside players like Keane and Szmodics who are older and/or havent really featured in a squad. You asked a question "is he really building for the future" - - i think you have the facts there.

Choose to ignore them i suppose but i would like to see if you might not ignore the other questions i asked in my post about the Lithuania friendly and why the need to drop 32 and 33 year olds to prove that he is building for the future. I suppose you chose to ignore those questions because it points out the farce of your position on Kenny. For reference:

On another note, you think that SK's reign has been a disaster. Does improvement count for anything? Or is the Luxembourg defeat his forever career defining moment for you Boomer?

First 10 games: 0-4-6
    Last 10 games: 4-5-1
    Belgium drawn friendly was his 21st.
    I was pointing out that McCarthy or any other manager would be bringing through some of our most promising players in a long time. Remember McCarthy had to leave some players with the 21's!

How is playing 32 and 33 year olds building for the future?

Losing the play off to the European championships, finishing second bottom with 0 wins in the nations league and finishing level on points with Luxembourg, miles behind the group leaders is a disaster. Up there with Staunton. Or do you think winning 4 games against Luxembourg, Azerbaijan, Qatar and Andorra is a successful reign Boomer?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Now now Boomers ....

You yourself said " untill it finally crashes "

So by that you're saying the crash is yet to come.
    So what results has Kenny achieved as Ireland manager boomer?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Kenny was battling it out with Portugal and Serbia in the head to head games in the last group. They would both be regarded as equal or better to Denmark and Switzerland. We finished 3rd in the group, like we did under Mick.... where is the big drop off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    So what results has Kenny achieved as Ireland manager boomer?
    You can't answer me can you ?
    You're not able to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Kenny was battling it out with Portugal and Serbia in the head to head games in the last group. They would both be regarded as equal or better to Denmark and Switzerland. We finished 3rd in the group, like we did under Mick.... where is the big drop off?
    Small matter of f**cking Portugals qualification campaign up also in Dublin, wasn't there ?

Would that count as a result Boomers ?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Switzerland got to the European championship quarter finals beating France and losing to Spain on penalties. Denmark got to the European semi finals only losing in extra time. We battered Denmark in the final group game after drawing with them away. We should have qualified ahead of them.

Kenny lost to Luxembourg which effectively got us knocked out of the group after 2 games. We finished level on points with Luxembourg, 8 points behind Portugal and 11 points behind Serbia. And you're seriously asking where is the big drop off? 😂

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    You can't answer me can you ?
    You're not able to.
    Any achievements at all to list? Coming ahead of Bulgaria in the nations league maybe? Finishing above Azerbaijan?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast