Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Matches Weekend 18th 19th March

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Two other classics I enjoyed from Conor Hoey, his giving out about betting sponsorship (not my cup of tea now, and would much prefer Fyffes, but Bet Regal offered P6 twice for the deal) when at the same time (will agree not strictly same as betting, but principle not far off, spending hoping to win) the Drogs lotto is in full flow.

The other was the little digs at DFC with the SOD episode, them went as far as thanking Pats for taking his manager for a paltry 10 or 20k.

He seems an odd character at the best of times.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Two other classics I enjoyed from Conor Hoey, his giving out about betting sponsorship (not my cup of tea now, and would much prefer Fyffes, but Bet Regal offered P6 twice for the deal) when at the same time (will agree not strictly same as betting, but principle not far off, spending hoping to win) the Drogs lotto is in full flow.

The other was the little digs at DFC with the SOD episode, them went as far as thanking Pats for taking his manager for a paltry 10 or 20k.

He seems an odd character at the best of times.
    For a chairman hes a bit of a PR man hes always on Between the Stripes podcast. I dont think he would compare as much to his dad Vincent as chairman of same club!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    I remember listening to him on a podcast talking about how drogheda could sign messi and offer him all the streaming money
    ....and he was actually serious, this was when he was rabbiting on about how we need to think BIG . "We need to improve standard of league and facilities" next comment let's have a 16 team league. He is good for a laugh anyway but judging by the stewarding in drogheda he should try stand up comedy instead of running a football club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    That Drogheda chairman is a dose alright, mouthpiece, a celeb chairman.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Mark Connolly= Talks a good game and is very experienced but when asked seems to be hanging on sometimes = Young Drogs fellas bounced him all night 2/10

never a pen for Drogs and i dont care who you are
    This year is my first season back in about 5 years so I actually thought that was Chris Shields not Mark Connolly and was surprised how bad he played. Ended up flat on his face a few times and didn't seem overly bothered about getting back up and in position with any sort of urgency.

Peno was a little bit soft alright and I wouldn't be complaining if we didn't get it, but on the other hand I think our lad did well to win it.

Still a couple of individual wobbles from our lads which meant I was never comfortable watching the game.

Very surprised with the result - hopefully onwards and upwards from here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    100 per cent agree with ye on that. The attempt to be holier than thou is irritating, and you can look silly at times as a result. A serious contradiction to be anti betting and then trying to plug a club lotto.

I'd be one to give stick at times - and I've tended to disagree alot with his opinions on things re the league of irelanf - but overall , he alright
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Have found the random stick Dan McDonnell has gotten over the months gas, proper LOI stuff. Had Hoey having a go saying he was only critical of the ground because Drogs beat his "beloved" Dundalk, who had a large section of their fan base berating him last season for being critical over the P6 stewardship until the SOD situation where he was suddenly alright again because he was on SOD's "side", setting off some Pats fans in the process, which was ironic because according to Bohs fans he was biased towards Pats because he didn't unsettle them pre-cup final like he did with Bohs by reporting that several players would be leaving. You can't win sometimes!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Have found the random stick Dan McDonnell has gotten over the months gas, proper LOI stuff. Had Hoey having a go saying he was only critical of the ground because Drogs beat his "beloved" Dundalk, who had a large section of their fan base berating him last season for being critical over the P6 stewardship until the SOD situation where he was suddenly alright again because he was on SOD's "side", setting off some Pats fans in the process, which was ironic because according to Bohs fans he was biased towards Pats because he didn't unsettle them pre-cup final like he did with Bohs by reporting that several players would be leaving. You can't win sometimes!

strange behaviour. hoey embarrassing himself with those remarks. there are cows up and down the country housed in better conditions than fans in their stadium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Hilarious that people can equate a betting company with a club lotto. I've never seen someone lose a weeks wages on a club lotto. Fair play to drogheda on their stance irrespective of the opinions on Hoey. I wish my own club would adopt the same stance with gambling.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    As Ive probably mentioned before..... the issue with gambling and sport runs a lot deeper as a social issue than simply banning sponsorship - piecemeal and tokenism is all it would be and would do a disservice to promoting safe betting habits, does anyone really think that stopping alcohol companies from sponsorship has/will reduce excessive or underage drinking??. I'd argue that banning online betting sponsorship specifically could have a greater impact than total ban due to the more invasive nature in to young peoples sphere. Conor Hoey would be missing the bigger picture on this issue. That said if betting sponsorship is totally banned I dont think you can say no gambling then sell goal time or club lotto, its an all or nothing thing then. Alcohol free club policy cant really then sell low alcohol rather than no alcohol. I get what you are saying sullen but there well could be someone who spends more than they can afford on a club lotto, maybe gambling addiction or misguided obsessive fan - an addiction in itself (maybe football should just be banned sure, hitting a clatter of issues at source, gambling, alcohol, pyro, public order, public money for other things etc).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    As Ive probably mentioned before..... the issue with gambling and sport runs a lot deeper as a social issue than simply banning sponsorship - piecemeal and tokenism is all it would be and would do a disservice to promoting safe betting habits, does anyone really think that stopping alcohol companies from sponsorship has/will reduce excessive or underage drinking??. I'd argue that banning online betting sponsorship specifically could have a greater impact than total ban due to the more invasive nature in to young peoples sphere. Conor Hoey would be missing the bigger picture on this issue. That said if betting sponsorship is totally banned I dont think you can say no gambling then sell goal time or club lotto, its an all or nothing thing then. Alcohol free club policy cant really then sell low alcohol rather than no alcohol. I get what you are saying sullen but there well could be someone who spends more than they can afford on a club lotto, maybe gambling addiction or misguided obsessive fan - an addiction in itself (maybe football should just be banned sure, hitting a clatter of issues at source, gambling, alcohol, pyro, public order, public money for other things etc).
    Sure didnt John Caulfield try that in Cork for a few years before he was run out for not playing like Ajax

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Sure didnt John Caulfield try that in Cork for a few years before he was run out for not playing like Ajax
    could have saved us all the hearthache if he banned it once maguire left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    True! but playing like Ajax? If they had just played a wee bit like media darlings of the Day, Dundalk FC rather than looking like a bunch of lads going OTT in WW1, they might have gotten some credit and he'd be canonised by now on Leeside! But ye know F*ck Dundalk and all that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Woah. Stop everything. Nesta99 has figured out that banning alcohol sponsorship is ineffective and banning gambling sponsorship will be equally ineffective. Imagine all those poor, foolish, alcohol and gambling companies wasting all that money on advertising when it clearly doesn't work. What mugs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    We should also allow cigarette sponsorship again considering that advertising won't encourage people to smoke. Anyone for B&H Bohs? Silk Cut Sligo Rovers? Waterford John Player Blues? Goal of the Month competition sponsored by Lucky Strike?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Hilarious that people can equate a betting company with a club lotto. I've never seen someone lose a weeks wages on a club lotto. Fair play to drogheda on their stance irrespective of the opinions on Hoey. I wish my own club would adopt the same stance with gambling.
    Spot on.

I don't get why anyone would struggle to see the difference. Harps turned down an online gambling sponsor last year because it just didn't sit right. Sligo have done the same.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    We should also allow cigarette sponsorship again considering that advertising won't encourage people to smoke. Anyone for B&H Bohs? Silk Cut Sligo Rovers? Waterford John Player Blues? Goal of the Month competition sponsored by Lucky Strike?
    I was wondering if someone would throw up this quite valid point and fair play you got there in the end. They are not equal examples though, anti-smoking policies as with drink driving prevention are better comparisons. Long term cohesive, national multi-level, multi-agency, strategies that have produced positive results easily shown by the stats. Reduction in overall safe alcohol consumption levels have not followed suit irrespective of sponsorship restriction. Maybe Stu could offer an opinion with UCD banning alcohol sponsorship a lot sooner than anybody else and did it impact on the level of consumption by Students at UCD, as an opinion, or maybe whether figures have been produced to show positive impact. Certainly national figures would show that risky alcohol consumption, in particular among the cohort trying to be protected the most, has and is increasing. But there is a broadening of methods eg minimum unit pricing but a huge amount of work is still needed. Restricting betting sponsorship in sport will follow trend and not reduce risky behaviour in isolation. Those that have a gambling addiction, or a predisposition for same, will not be protected by a LoI ban or even a broader sporting ban. Football isnt even the most widely betted on sport.

I havent figured out anything, Im interpreting available stats, and considering the analysis of the impact of public health policies, what has worked and whar hasnt. I asked a question on opinion of alcohol sponsorship and related consumption, i didnt make a statement. I also said that I would argue (debate, consider or whatever) the potential benefits of a ban on online gambling sponsorship and how it might actually have an impact on younger fans. In the absence of broader recognition of the issues involved, social, psychiatric/psychological and subsequently what is effective to deal with these issues, I will say again that sponsorship bans are piecemeal but by all means give a good clap on the back if it make people feel better and think they have done the job and fixed things. Others that deal with the reality will continue to pick up the slack. I would fully back LoI involvement in working groups and the development of broader co-operative methods to deal with these issues.

I will throw in my own equivalent of the smoking ban like example - the total ban on illicit drugs and that use has continued to grow regardless. Maybe a change in tack is needed no? Less nannying and more digging to the root of these different but quite similar issues and mitigating against effectively. Yes companies market their products, where it can maybe let them and use revenue generated to target specific cohorts with intervention for risky behaviour rather than a scattergun effort. Not in entirety but there is more evidence that issues around social depravation causes addiction than alcohol/gambling causes deprivation. I will say no more on the issues and you may belittle what I have said as much as you like sullen but it doesnt negate that a narrow perspective on broad issues can be unhelpful even if well intended!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 22/03/2022 at 5:25 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Getting waaayyy off the topic with a load of sh1t. Keep to the thread title. Open another thread for drink, smoking and gambling sponsorship

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I remember Bohs had an offer from Phillips the Dutch electronics company to change their name for a big sum of money. In relation to Bohs, Roddy Collins had an interesting piece in yesterday's tabloids. He feels the club has sort of lost their way in relation to what a soccer club/team competing in a national league should be. Winning the FAI cup or league cup even matters a lot more that a Bob Marley 2nd shirt. Also he thinks that the 'community relations work' angle the club promotes is exaggerated, and that Bohs was always involved in their local area. I don't know Dublin much, but has Roddy got a point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    Getting waaayyy off the topic with a load of sh1t. Keep to the thread title. Open another thread for drink, smoking and gambling sponsorship
    Yes sir Mr Mod sir!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast