Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Matches Weekend 18th 19th March

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Agree with above and will add that once we continue consistently perform at those levels we’ll win the league - Sligo like any team coached by Buckley were easy on the eye and tried to play skilful ball ( aside from 2nd half time wasting) but simply couldn’t live with the pace, intensity and quality of us particularly in 2nd half ; and both sides deserve to be commended on putting on a fantastic nights entertainment- also a big shout out to McGinty who produced a number of top class saves
    Fantastic match but how it ended in a draw. Rovers created enough to win 3 matches! But, while played well in each of the draw ‘ losses, pretty soon we have to be winning these matches. I think (sorry Harps) we are 6 behind already.

what happened Shels??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Derry very deserved of all 3 points against a decent Pat’s team.

Unbelievably well we are doing considering P McEleney, C Harkin, M Duffy and M Smith all out injured.

Patching is a boy as we all knew already - technically he is just class.

I did always say there are no good teams in this league, well I take it back there is one - Derry.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post

Unbelievably well we are doing considering P McEleney, C Harkin, M Duffy and M Smith all out injured.

I did always say there are no good teams in this league, well I take it back there is one - Derry.
    Screenshot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts

Id reckon well deserved pushes the boat out a bit. I think Derry shaded it overall but well deserved is a bit much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I’ll leave it off here so the good name of SPA FC isn’t dragged through the mud by a few low life’s, pm me.
    Tbf in retrospect I don't think I want to know the specifics, obviously whatever happened it was divs being divs. Most clubs have them and fans could probably guess who the culprits are as well, hopefully that makes it easier for the club to stamp out also. Always liked Derry so would like to think relations wouldn't be soured over it anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Dundalk awful tonight. Thats the story from HITG Park

Dundalk Front to back terrible - players who need a kick up the a*se

Lewis Macari= good game last week v Shams and got motm-was living of it last night and hardly lifted a finger - 3/10
    Mark Connolly= Talks a good game and is very experienced but when asked seems to be hanging on sometimes = Young Drogs fellas bounced him all night 2/10
    Pat Hoban = Gets to frustrated when things aren't going his way.3/10
    Sam Bone= Terrible last night,Leahy's return may see his demise. 2/10

never a pen for Drogs and i dont care who you are

Some mad results so far. the league is set-up to be one of the best and closest in history imo.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Id reckon well deserved pushes the boat out a bit. I think Derry shaded it overall but well deserved is a bit much.
    Pat’s scored a freak goal start of second half we should have been a few up by then with McGonigle having a rare off night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    334 Posts
    I know there has always been lots of criticism of a 10 team league as being too small, which results in a lot of repetition for clubs and fans alike, but when there are so many teams who can take points off each other like this season, it feels like every match week is packed full of exciting games and surprise results. Really enjoying this season so far as a spectacle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    I know there has always been lots of criticism of a 10 team league as being too small, which results in a lot of repetition for clubs and fans alike, but when there are so many teams who can take points off each other like this season, it feels like every match week is packed full of exciting games and surprise results. Really enjoying this season so far as a spectacle.
    Couldn't agree more every week has matches that look important in title or relegation battles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Pat’s scored a freak goal start of second half we should have been a few up by then with McGonigle having a rare off night.
    Hardly a freak goal. We also had another couple of close things, Billy King header in the first half and a couple which shaved the bar from Forrestor. Close game. Derry on top for the first half hour and it was fairly even after that. Thought a point wouldn’t have overly flattered us, but at the same time Derry were good, so not too many complaints. The Brandywell will be a tough place for anyone to go this season.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Yeah no dead rubbers which is great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Unbelievable save from McGinty towards the end of the game in Tallaght,great reactions…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    McGinty was superb all night. The second MoTM worthy performance in a row we've come up against from a keeper to hold us to a draw. (Yes I'm utterly bitter about it). He actually had our equalizer completely covered as well until his own player turned it away. Smashing keeper. Dealt well with the south stand behind him too. I'd love to see him with us.

Agree on the above as well, it's been a great start to the season and every game has something on it. Crowds are great although there's some obvious issues there that need to be stamped out. It would be a good season for coverage to have been improved for. A shame we have what we do.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 19/03/2022 at 2:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Drogheda is a really badly run club, the Chairman always talks (and doesn't he love to) like a big picture guy but he is minowisim personified when you listen to what he is actually saying. Will be good to see them heading back down.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,270 Posts
    It's shaping up to be a really frustrating season too. Only Drogheda of the bottom six have won more than once, which is mad. Lots of draws though, which means lots of "If only" moments to mull over. We should have won all three of our home games instead of drawing them all for example. Would make a huge difference to the league table. And other clubs will have their own examples I'm sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts
    Dundalk were indeed dreadful last night, peno was more clumsy than deliberate, ref didn't give it initially, that said we had 2 cleared off the line or that were going in, plus Drogs hit the bar, could have been worse for us, but Drogs def did enough to win the game, we were shocking.

We deserved nothing last night, disappointed with the senior players in Boyle, Benson, Hoban and Sloggett, didn't lead and overall second best all over the park, move on to the next game, one to forget.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Drogheda is a really badly run club, the Chairman always talks (and doesn't he love to) like a big picture guy but he is minowisim personified when you listen to what he is actually saying. Will be good to see them heading back down.
    Conor Hoey ! He's some boyo, must have the mobile in his hand at all times, he was lightening speed replying to Dan McD last night about the home fans invading the pitch at FT remark. Seems to be on the defensive all the time.

Don't get me wrong now, they deserved to win the game, but in comparison not sure the StatSports guys who are main owners of DFC would be tweeting replies the min the game is over, (or any other club officials) not even sure they are on social media actually!
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    We should have been a few up at half-time, yes, but Pat's had a decent enough second half. I presume you day 'freak goal' because it may have been meant as a cross? We certainly thought so at the time.

We'd a great first half, but took until the lady 20 minutes of the second to actually get going again. McGonigle had his worst performance of the season. Akintunde had a good first half, then seemed knackered in the second. Other than his two goals, Patching didn't do an awful lot.
    Shane McEleney was solid though, and his distribution was good.

On Pat's, impressed with Anang. Some shots may have been straight at him, but perofmed well. Took command during our many corners and seemed vocal with the other players. Pat's certainly seem like an improved side from lady season, though I'd still expected the likes of Burns to be away come rhe summer.

Overall, not much between the sides, and I thought we were fortunate enough to come away with the win. That's a couple of injury time goals this season now, I could get used to that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    McGinty was superb all night. The second MoTM worthy performance in a row we've come up against from a keeper to hold us to a draw. (Yes I'm utterly bitter about it). He actually had our equalizer completely covered as well until his own player turned it away. Smashing keeper. Dealt well with the south stand behind him too. I'd love to see him with us.

Agree on the above as well, it's been a great start to the season and every game has something on it. Crowds are great although there's some obvious issues there that need to be stamped out. It would be a good season for coverage to have been improved for. A shame we have what we do.
    Really don’t understand how he hasn’t got a move to someone in the UK. A brilliant keeper. Maybe they think he’s too small. We have a ready made replacement in Luke McNicholas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Conor Hoey ! He's some boyo, must have the mobile in his hand at all times, he was lightening speed replying to Dan McD last night about the home fans invading the pitch at FT remark. Seems to be on the defensive all the time.

Don't get me wrong now, they deserved to win the game, but in comparison not sure the StatSports guys who are main owners of DFC would be tweeting replies the min the game is over, (or any other club officials) not even sure they are on social media actually!
    He's great craic altogether! I'd miss his wee snipes if they (our us) were relegated. It is actually a thing to see how quickly Conor jumps on any criticism, is critical himself, while counting his Dundalk FC related posts - on that metric he must be a number one fan.

Still disappointed today with the performance put i by the lads. Maybe its harsh with the 3 game in 7 days schedule but Im still not sure if we were flat due to games or whether we were made look flat by Drogheda's better energy and work rate. In general I think improvement is need by a few players, Boyle has been a bit soppy and need to improve, Connolly the same - that are better players than whats been on show picking up points/clean sheets or not. Sloggett is become a bit of a hit or miss player imo, and the peno while a tad harsh he was wrong side and it just seemed careless. He needs to sharpen up as even his simple possession passing can be wayward. As TT mentions, Hoban sulks too much when he isnt scoring, yes it shows he cares, he continues to graft, but there is a sense that it gets under his skin (missed chance v Rovers carried in to Drogs game and he misses a pretty big chance there at 0-0), starts to give away niggly fouls and is in the refs ear more.

It truly was an awful spectacle of a game but Drogheda got their tactics right especially after their goal where they let us have the ball and spoiled very effectively and we lacked the quality of a final ball to level the game, and they could and probably should have picked us off with a couple on the break. Big clap on the back for Conor Hoey then so!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast