Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under-20 Squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Scrappy game to say the least, pitch didn't help. You'd have your doubts about Crawford, you really would - won't matter much if we get a win against Sweden next week I guess but he had the far superior group of players and they only created 3 chances in the game… It felt both managers were far far too conservative.

Things I thought:

1) Odumosu had little to do but did it well. Couldn't really tell if he was at fault for the goal from my angle. It was a corner whipped in narrow which pinged around the 6 yard box before being rebounded in. My instinct was it wasn't his fault but frankly it happened pretty quick. Harrington didn't have anything to do in the second half.

2) Sobawele - he's a better full back than you'd have thought. He's filled out a bit and looks shorter as a result, I guess he was never as tall as he looked. Still not sure he's the answer at right back but I guess it's between him and Abankwah for the next campaign, unless Egan-Riley or Bradley defects.

3) Jones was the better of the two starting centre-halves - won everything in the air, used the ball well. The other lad O'Riordan got absolutely skinned by Sam Burgess, who looked good enough to be playing pro football. Ogungbo came on, and had little to do, as the amateurs defended for the majority of the second half. Same with Delaney.

4) Phillips is huge for a midfielder. Built like Declan Rice.

5) Kian Leavy was really impressive at the start. Has a spark about him, not sure he'll make it, lots of those creative midfielders get squeezed out and don't become what they could be - but he was really bright and creative.

6) Gilligan didn't do a lot for me. Matt Healy the same - few too many hollywood passes from him.

7) Was just hoping Joe Hodge wouldn't get injured. He looked very good but not quite his old self yet. Equally the pitch wasn’t conducive to passing the ball. He did almost score a beautiful curler which just went wide. The amateurs were flying in with tackles. I guess in many instances, this is the pinnacle of their careers and they want to give it all. Then there were a few lads who seemed to object to being outplayed by a kid and got really stuck in. Either way, Hodge more than anyone else worried me, could have seen him poleaxed by Michael Fox who had a few lunges at him. Darragh Burns also got a good few knocks, as did Healy.

8) Darragh Burns work rate was pretty impressive. Was doubled up a lot throughout the game and didn't do much with the ball but worked his socks off. Probably would have expected more from the freekick he took, great position for a left footer and he hit the wall, not even particularly high up. Dylan Duffy on the other side struggled for most the game, although he hit the post in the second half, which would have been an excellent goal

9) Tom Cannon had his moments. He had one where he used his pace to go past a player out wide and tried to square it for Leavy who would have had an open goal. The pass was behind Leavy and nothing came of it. So the run to get into that position was really good but the pass was awful. He had another one where he showed good pace and could have been in but a heavy touch, perhaps due to a bobble, cost the chance. Also showed good feet out wide on one occasion. Overall, not a good performance, but you could see him being good at 21s for us, with better players around him. Kyle Robinson didn’t have much of an impact in the few minutes he played.

Was nice to see the likes of Brian Maher, Ross Tierney and Andy Lyons watching. And for what it's worth, Maher seemed tall enough - walked past him when i was arriving and leaving and I'm 6'1, maybe a bit taller on a good day, looked like he might have been wearing some kinda nike platforms but from a yard or two away, it looked like he was about the same height as me in them.
    any. of the amateurs stand out?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    any. of the amateurs stand out?
    Burgess - raw pace and dribbling. No problem taking on the 21s defenders and going past them. Not sure what age he is but no doubt in my mind, he’d be one of the better players for half of the loi division one sides.

Jimmy McHugh of Oliver Bond didn’t have much pace but looked like he’d take a chance if given one. Good footballer.

Eoin Hayes and Glen Daly were also comfortable.

Most of them seemed like good technical footballers but struggled with the pace of the game and how quickly the 21s swarmed and harried them whenever the tried to break

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Thanks scum. As always. great insight.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Ogungbo travelling with the Arsenal first team tonight
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Anybody know his background? Transfermarkt lists him as Irish/Nigerian with no place of birth. Did he grow up here?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Yes he played with St Francis when younger. Think he's Irish born to Nigerian parents. Not sure how long he's been living in England so could qualify for three countries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Was with Arsenal in 2018
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/irel...ish-tournament

<EDIT>

Found him named in a U16 squad in October 2017, so he's in England at least five years this year
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/osam...victory-shield
    Republic of Ireland Under 16 Squad
    Goalkeepers: Harry Halwax (Leixlip United), Jimmy Corcoran (Cherry Orchard)
    Defenders: Alex Dunne (Shamrock Rovers), Cian Kelly (Bray Wanderers), Conor Power (St. Patrick’s Athletic), Mazeed Ogbungo (Arsenal), Tega Agberhiere (Waterford FC), James Furlong (Bray Wanderers)
    Midfielders: Brandon Holt (St Patrick’s Athletic), Jamie Farrell (St Kevins Boys), Seamus Keogh (Sligo Rovers FC), Matt Healy (College Corinthians), Ronan Mc Kinley (Derry City), Troy Parrott (Belvedere FC)
    Forwards: Sean Kennedy (Kerry League), Josh Guirigi (Leixlip United), Festy Obosele (Bray Wanderers), Armstrong Okoflex (Arsenal), Matt Everitt (Brighton & Hove Albion), Mipo Odupeko (Manchester United)
    Some interesting names there
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 04/04/2022 at 4:48 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Tega Agberhiere was one of the young lads that was attacked in Waterford around three years in that acid attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Harvey Neville came on for his first appearance for the Inter Miami senior team last night, as a late sub in the US Open Cup
    https://www.intermiamicf.com/news/ma...ver-south-geor
    Following the goal, Inter Miami made another pair of substitutions, bringing on Noah Allen and Neville for Yedlin and Jones. The appearance marked Neville’s first for the First Team.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    It really is hard to imagine him ever playing for the Ireland senior team. Just feels wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Yeah, I doubt it'll happen. Leaving his family ties to England aside, there's better players in MLS than him, and their chances of a senior cap are low
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 12/05/2022 at 3:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    England have announced their U20 to face Sweden and Ireland in the Elite League, which is a thing apparently
    https://www.englandfootball.com/arti...games-20242405

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Is it our under 21s they're playing, or are we reforming the Under 20 team (which would be a good idea)?
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Yes they're playing our U21s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12