Thread: 25,000 civilian deaths

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

25,000 civilian deaths

in iraq since the war started !
    wonder will there be any vigil for those innocent people going about there daily lives .

some thing tells me there wont

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    yes but a lot of those people were killed by insurgents and suicide bombers i.e. their own people!

like its funny how the extremists use these sort of stats etc to brainwash potential recruiters, when most of them were blown up/killed by their own people
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Last figure I heard had 100,000 dead.
    Treat these numbers with scepticism.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Watching Channel 4 they are advertising a programme on the 300+ children killed in Beslan. That got sweped under the carpet fairly quickly didnt it?

PS Paul, Im sure that somewhere here there is a thinly veiled refference to the 2 min silence for London and nothing for the Iraqis. As you know the London bommers were all british, ie 'their own'
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea
    yes but a lot of those people were killed by insurgents and suicide bombers i.e. their own people!

like its funny how the extremists use these sort of stats etc to brainwash potential recruiters, when most of them were blown up/killed by their own people
    the suicide bombers in london were there own too , but these are the figure skilled by us /english forces not the bombs . also it does nt include soldiers cops etc . just innocent people like you or me that had no control over america putting saddam in power or over them invading again to get rid of him .but paid for it dearly

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea

The report shows who were solely responsible for the deaths of the civilian total:
    anti-occupation or insurgency forces: 9 per cent, or 2,353

Allied Forces: 37%, 9,270 civilians
    American forces were responsible for 98.5 per cent, or 37 per cent of the total who have died. Out of the remaining 1.5 per cent of the total killed by allied forces, British soldiers were responsible for the highest total, with 86 people.

Criminal Activity: 35.9%, 8,935
    Indicating the level to which Iraq has become a far more lawless environment since Saddam Hussein was deposed, 8,935 of the killings, or 35.9 per cent, were of people involved in - or targeted by - conventional criminal activity.

The IBC report says the highest concentration of civilian deaths was during the so-called "invasion phase" of the conflict in March and April 2003, when 30 per cent of the civilian deaths occurred. In the two years since the end of the "combat" phase, the number of civilians killed was almost twice as high in year two (11,351) as in year one (6,215).

Detailed examination of the figures show that women and children accounted for almost 20 per cent of all civilian deaths, with one in every 200 being a child under the age of two. Almost half of all deaths occurred in Baghdad.

Most of the civilian deaths (53 per cent) involved explosive devices, most of which came from air strikes during the early stage of the conflict and which caused a disproportionately high level of casualties among children.

24,865 civilians, mostly Iraqis, were reported killed in Iraq between 20 March 2003 and 19 March 2005 - almost 0.1% of the population

Nearly 10% of the dead were under 18 - equivalent to more than 2,400 children and teenagers

Nearly 10% of the adult dead were female - equivalent to 2,155 women

Allied forces were the sole killers of 9,270 of the victims (of whom 86 were killed by the British);
    anti-occupation forces were the sole killers of 2,353 of the victims;
    criminals killed 8,935

70% of these deaths occurred after President Bush declared that major combat operations were over on 1 May 2003

The victims include at least
    977 policemen,
    100 transport workers,
    47 health workers and
    39 students

A further 42,500 civilians were reported wounded, of whom 6% - about 2,550 - were children and babies
    Last edited by patsh; 20/07/2005 at 8:43 AM.