Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games Weekend 4th 5th March

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Really poor stuff from Rovers huffing and puffing their way to mid table against an average ( no disrespect meant) Pats side…. No chance of 3 in a row based on that crap- disgraceful , metronomic tippy tippy with no end product as no pace in the team ; we created a few half chances and conceded a soft goal ; going nowhere but down fast; as lost to average Derry and Pats and only wins against relegation teams
    Worst standard season ever!

Looking like a nip and tuck season so far. I'd expect that to change as the season goes on and teams settle and the league positions with it. Its a bit mad and a great thing that IF Dundalk win this weekend we go top or joint top with Dundalk MkII. Im all for a club dominating the league when it is my club but genuinely not knowing how things will pan out has its attraction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
    Was a tough game, I'd say a draw was fair enough. The Harps goal was the best bit of quality in the match, lovely ball by Hery and a brilliant strike by Connolly.

Really tough conditions, but both teams gave their best and there was hardly a bad challenge in the game, yet the ref has dished out 8 yellows, and a red to Promise. Its farcical. Promise was our best player too, could have had a hat trick. But I assume he misses next week's game against the Shams.

Harps should be able to stay above the relegation trapdoor playing at home like that, really well organised and a tough place for anyone to visit.
    Saw them in pre season and Harps looked vastly improved. Few good signings. Ollie some man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    As someone who only really watches Rovers when they play Pats I do think they can be less than the sum of their parts. The talent in that squad is well beyond any other side in the league yet they manage to overcomplicate things by flooding central areas and have their most talented player pick the ball up far too deep when there really is no need for it. Still think they'll win the league relatively comfortably over the course of the season but can't help but think they don't help themselves at times.

Forrester was once again phenomenal but a special shout out to Joe Redmond who has surprised me with how much of an excellent defender he looks. Still has growing to do elsewhere but I'm not surprised that Clancy is a fan given how much of a natural he is in keeping the ball out of danger. Adam O'Reilly was great also and I can see him keeping Jamie Lennon out of the team at this rate. Offered an energy and ability to compete for the ball in midfield that we've sorely lacked in the last couple of games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I don’t buy into the we’ve too many top class players to pick and keep happy…. They are happy as they’ve the best wages, contracts , training centre, stadium , support etc.
    Even if that was the case, it wouldn’t be great to have too many football players happy to pick up their big wages while not actually playing football.

Doesnt really matter though because that’s not the case at all. We're 4 games into the season and there’s already been visible strops thrown by Burke, Mandroiu and Towell over their playing time. And that that’s only what the public has seen
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Even if that was the case, it wouldn’t be great to have too many football players happy to pick up their big wages while not actually playing football.

Doesnt really matter though because that’s not the case at all. We're 4 games into the season and there’s already been visible strops thrown by Burke, Mandroiu and Towell over their playing time. And that that’s only what the public has seen
    Sorry , simply not the case re ‘strops’ being an issue…. But no doubt others will disagree as we all have to believe our own narrative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Sorry , simply not the case re ‘strops’ being an issue…. But no doubt others will disagree as we all have to believe our own narrative
    I tend to agree with this, a real player strop is when they stop bothering not when they are p1ssed off at being subbed or not starting. That shows a desire to play and its often when a players has had a poor game that they look most annoyed at being taken off as they want to make amends. Its the coaching staff on the sideline that kinda need to protect players from themselves at certain at times like that. Its also obvious that it is hard to keep a large talented squad happy but managers get paid for their man management and players paid well knowing that there is competition for places and the old needing to tak their chance when they get it adage applies.

There does seem a bit of rinse and repeat from Rovers fans from last season, slow build up play, not pulling opposition around to wear them down, lack of pace, lack of that bit of attacking guile to cut open a defence, generally laboured feel to performances, players out of position, management not knowing best midfield combo, injuries, loss of players - the usual complaints that nearly all football fans have when their team is not playing with a swagger. Its early season but it is a settled squad, Towell has been brought in to add drive to midfield, Jack Byrne has been brought in to replace the massive hole left by Jack Byrne, the vilified Gannon has found a slot right side of a central 3 rather than wingback, Lopez is back available etc. So the laboured performances have a common denominator either Bradley is genuinely hitting the ceiling of his coaching/tactical abilities, or its just very early in the season (though the dublin derby could be fun as a bit of a lottery and damaging for Rovers having dropped points already elsewhere). Again its too early make any big calls on a title being out of reach but you have to consider the similarities between what was said last season and this considering that holes have been plugged. One important thing has been a good spread of goals regardless of results from Watts, Byrne, Mandriou, Burke, even Agent Hoare.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 05/03/2022 at 5:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Obvuiously its all over, hopefully we can avoid getting sucked into the relegation scrap. Time to accept its the end of a short era.
    Maybe we can still have a decent season but the odds are firmly against us now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I tend to agree with this, a real player strop is when they stop bothering not when they are p1ssed off at being subbed or not starting. That shows a desire to play and its often when a players has had a poor game that they look most annoyed at being taken off as they want to make amends. Its the coaching staff on the sideline that kinda need to protect players from themselves at certain at times like that. Its also obvious that it is hard to keep a large talented squad happy but managers get paid for their man management and players paid well knowing that there is competition for places and the old needing to tak their chance when they get it adage applies.

There does seem a bit of rinse and repeat from Rovers fans from last season, slow build up play, not pulling opposition around to wear them down, lack of pace, lack of that bit of attacking guile to cut open a defence, generally laboured feel to performances, players out of position, management not knowing best midfield combo, injuries, loss of players - the usual complaints that nearly all football fans have when their team is not playing with a swagger. Its early season but it is a settled squad, Towell has been brought in to add drive to midfield, Jack Byrne has been brought in to replace the massive hole left by Jack Byrne, the vilified Gannon has found a slot right side of a central 3 rather than wingback, Lopez is back available etc. So the laboured performances have a common denominator either Bradley is genuinely hitting the ceiling of his coaching/tactical abilities, or its just very early in the season (though the dublin derby could be fun as a bit of a lottery and damaging for Rovers having dropped points already elsewhere). Again its too early make any big calls on a title being out of reach but you have to consider the similarities between what was said last season and this considering that holes have been plugged. One important thing has been a good spread of goals regardless of results from Watts, Byrne, Mandriou, Burke, even Agent Hoare.

If you’s read my last post again you'll see that I said the same thing, it would be worse if the players were just accepting not playing games and happy with their big wages as Calcio Jack suggested they are doing by his comment about the players being happy. I then pointed out that there has in fact been public strops thrown which indicates that they clearly aren’t happy with not playing.

Again, it’s definitely better to throw a strop about not starting a game/being taken off than it is to just turn up to training and pick up a wage but if those strops continue for a number of weeks then you’re in trouble as a manager. Rovers aren’t at that stage yet but the way around it is giving those lads more game time and tinkering with the team is a lot easier said than done so it’s something Bradley will have to manage over the course of the season with so many big egos in his squad
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Obvuiously its all over, hopefully we can avoid getting sucked into the relegation scrap. Time to accept its the end of a short era.
    Maybe we can still have a decent season but the odds are firmly against us now.
    Aye 4 games in 2 points off top, not too much here but some Rovers fans have gotten a right dose of the Ollies!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    If you’s read my last post again you'll see that I said the same thing, it would be worse if the players were just accepting not playing games and happy with their big wages as Calcio Jack suggested they are doing by his comment about the players being happy. I then pointed out that there has in fact been public strops thrown which indicates that they clearly aren’t happy with not playing.

Again, it’s definitely better to throw a strop about not starting a game/being taken off than it is to just turn up to training and pick up a wage but if those strops continue for a number of weeks then you’re in trouble as a manager. Rovers aren’t at that stage yet but the way around it is giving those lads more game time and tinkering with the team is a lot easier said than done so it’s something Bradley will have to manage over the course of the season with so many big egos in his squad
    I meant more in general rather than claims about Rovers tbh, like the media making a fuss about a player not being happy at a club because there was a shake of the head when being subbed. Id be a lot more concerned if a player had a grin on the face and sprinted to the bench when spotting their number go up! Or players/teams do an 2021 early season Dundalk FC.

Starkly contrasted by the graft from the start in Sligo tonight. Reasonable game so far. Can help but worry about Bone playing left back. He is managing just about with help but Sligo target that area and we will be doing plenty of scrambling to cover.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Really enjoyed the evening walking down the hill into the away end right on kick off on a calm cool evening with the place jammers...... absolute magic. Some really good football at times from both teams without it being end to end. Watts, Grace, Byrne and Burke i thought were excellent for us. The only position i worry about for us the season is The keeper, Manus has been a colossus but his best days are now long gone. Rovers have a battle on their hand to retain the title tbh i think it could be the making of this team and if the league is tight all the way through that can only be a good thing in terms of interest and excitement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    I'm not a fan of the artificial pitches before anyone jumps on, but as much as Showgrounds is a lovely venue, the pitch tonight is just shocking, bobbles all over the place, this is their first home game too, jaysus lads roll the damn thing.

Its really effecting both sides to get the ball down and play. First half was not easy on the eye !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    woeful cork performance. they could probably count themselves lucky to get a point. Keating was the only threat we had all game and came close twice in the first half to scoring yet we move him wide and sub him off. we didnt trouble the keeper enough in the 90 , woeful woeful stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I'm not a fan of the artificial pitches before anyone jumps on, but as much as Showgrounds is a lovely venue, the pitch tonight is just shocking, bobbles all over the place, this is their first home game too, jaysus lads roll the damn thing.

Its really effecting both sides to get the ball down and play. First half was not easy on the eye !
    I think it was rolled to be fair. Was nice and flat at the start it is just so soft it cut up really badly, hence the bobbles. Really didn't help either side

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Well it looked awful on TV and the guys doing commentary from Sligo mentioned same a good few times, real pity and it was near impossible to play any decent patches of football tonight on it, by both sides.

On the game, very happy with the result, which was a fair outcome, we are back up to second, solid start to the season, re-build is in full flow.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Yeah pitch is terrible. Even the best players would be made to look average on it and took any flow out of the passing. Not sure why it's so bad.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    woeful cork performance. they could probably count themselves lucky to get a point. Keating was the only threat we had all game and came close twice in the first half to scoring yet we move him wide and sub him off. we didnt trouble the keeper enough in the 90 , woeful woeful stuff.
    It was a poor game and we probably should have won it. Our young centre back Matthew Dunne who I think was making his league debut was very good. We've a few injuries up front but I don't think we'll be challenging to win the league.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    Yeah pitch is terrible. Even the best players would be made to look average on it and took any flow out of the passing. Not sure why it's so bad.
    Neglected it during the break. It’s improved on the way it was for the Harps friendly so you can imagine how bad it was then. Just awful. Really going to hinder us during the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Aye 4 games in 2 points off top, not too much here but some Rovers fans have gotten a right dose of the Ollies!
    Danny scores early when clean through instead of falling over the ball and its a different game.Danny's finishing has been terrible so far this season , contrast to Burke is staggering, Burke through on keeper 1 on 1 has had two chances this season and slotted both with ease, Danny has missed 4 or 5.
    He's to good to go on like that but id be surprised if Burke doesnt start against Bohs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    New guy doing the groundkeeping apparently.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast