Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fixtures Friday 18th Saturday 19th February

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewayspasser View Post
    If you take a closer look at the Bray squad, most of them were with Cabo last year, and very few Bray players were retained. It's basically a Cabo squad with a few Bray additions rather than the other way round. Still, the 6-0 also came as a surprise to me. Bray basically collapsed defensively once the second goal went in.
    So the cuckoos rather than the seagulls …. I’ll get my coat
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Longford/Cobh game OFF.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Our game off also

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Disappointing all the postponements, puts a bit of a dampener (no pun intended) on all of the hype of the opening weekend.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    In fairness all of them played well & scored 2 goals.It was an old hand that F'd up for the 1st(Boyle).Didn't get a proper look at the 2nd but heard someone beside me mentioning Boyle was someway culpable again and i just nodded as you do.
    It was an excellent match has to be said with both sides playing some lovely football and plenty of goal scoring incidents for both side. McGonigle hit a post or two and was brilliant. Sam Bone was unlucky not to score.(was excellent) Dundalk's 1st was really well worked and hopefully a sign of things to come from young Bradley.

A classic "this game could go anyway" opener and it was great to be back in Oriel at a proper match.
    Thought Dundalk were excellent last night and probably the better side. There are a few handy players there alright. Take the hand and all for that point back up the road.

Eveb if we could have had all 3 with McGonigle’s late chance, it wasn’t deserved.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    There is extended highlights from the match on the Dundalk FC Youtube channel. But here's the goals from last night. AdriannTaffe on coms and John Flanagan on co comms.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    There is extended highlights from the match on the Dundalk FC Youtube channel. But here's the goals from last night. AdriannTaffe on coms and John Flanagan on co comms.

I know it’s only a few minutes of highlights but Bradley looks like a very tidy player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    I know it’s only a few minutes of highlights but Bradley looks like a very tidy player
    He came on as a sub for Hibs at Celtic Park a month ago,looks a coup for Dundalk that one,however long he's there for......
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Other way of looking at Bray is they made the playoffs last year (and beat Galway) and have basically nabbed Cabo's best players (well, Kieran Marty Waters anyway). 6-0's quite surprising I think. Ditto Wexford getting thumped alright; Ian Ryan had been doing well there since taking over and has added some good players for this year
    Cabinteely regressed past couple of seasons under Devlin with bloated squads, never a settled XI, leaking stupid goals and under 17/19 players regularly thrown in randomly probably under some influence from the schoolboy section. The new Bray are mirroring that with another bloated squad and Devlin has already chucked out Oscar Brennan after some falling out who has now signed for Crumlin

I think if Devlin had stepped aside from the managerial role to concentrate on DOF with a decent younger manager in place that squad slimmed down to a good core 20-22 players would be in the mix with Waterford, Cork and Galway
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Bradley was the standout player on the pitch in a good game where there was no shortage of quality on show. Boyle's timing in tackling Akintunde was poor but it was also the strength of the lad that then got him goal side and Boyle unable to recover - you'd expect more of a player of Boyle's experience but Akintunde made a mug of him too. 1st goal he may have got a nudge in the back but both goals similar in that if the ref doesnt call anything Boyle is on his ass. In general I was surprised with how Dundalk played as a team considering the amount of new players, if its a sign to come and we improve with games then 4th is doable. I think the rate of progress will depend on keeping players fit with the small squad. When Derry get in to their stride and have a full hand to pick from they wont drop many points. That said Dundalk were first to a lot of the breaking ball so if we shaded it it was down to graft. Patching, for example, goes missing in srappy phases of play.

Looking back at highlights it was Bone who got his positioning/timing all wrong for he 2nd goal not Boyle for both, but both goals were similar in the error of over committing in the tackle a long way out from goal.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 19/02/2022 at 1:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Good to see you appreciating Bradser at last Nesta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Ha, I had actually put Bradser initially as a nod but threw in 'player' just in case of being misquoted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    [QUOTE=joey B;2102891]He came on as a sub for Hibs at Celtic Park a month ago,looks a coup for Dundalk that one,however long he's there for....../QUOTE]

Season long contract.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Bradley was the standout player on the pitch in a good game where there was no shortage of quality on show. Boyle's timing in tackling Akintunde was poor but it was also the strength of the lad that then got him goal side and Boyle unable to recover - you'd expect more of a player of Boyle's experience but Akintunde made a mug of him too. 1st goal he may have got a nudge in the back but both goals similar in that if the ref doesnt call anything Boyle is on his ass. In general I was surprised with how Dundalk played as a team considering the amount of new players, if its a sign to come and we improve with games then 4th is doable. I think the rate of progress will depend on keeping players fit with the small squad. When Derry get in to their stride and have a full hand to pick from they wont drop many points. That said Dundalk were first to a lot of the breaking ball so if we shaded it it was down to graft. Patching, for example, goes missing in srappy phases of play.

Looking back at highlights it was Bone who got his positioning/timing all wrong for he 2nd goal not Boyle for both, but both goals were similar in the error of over committing in the tackle a long way out from goal.
    That's the move i missed and its a pity because he(Bone) was very good otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    That's the move i missed and its a pity because he(Bone) was very good otherwise.
    Not sure I'd agree with that. Played OK, had a couple of good shots but if it was Duffy playing left instead of Lafferty we would have been in a lot of trouble. If Leahy is back next week I would be moving Macari right back and dropping Bone, looks suspect.

Why did Derry fans have Russian and Chinese flags with them last night? Would have thought people from Derry would be against foreign occupation?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Breslin is a quality full back. Three former LTFC players on the pitch in Tolka tonight plus of course Stuey Byrne of "Stuey Byrne Special" circa 2001/2002 fame. Can't remember the exact ingredients beyond vodka and red bull and alcopops of some kind (Smirnoff Ice maybe). Macy if he's reading and his kids aren't could probably confirm.
    Pretty sure its smirnoff ice thats a drink I will ave to sample again!!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    That said Dundalk were first to a lot of the breaking ball so if we shaded it it was down to graft. Patching, for example, goes missing in srappy phases of play.
    I expected Derry to have more of the ball with the wind in 2nd half, Dundalk won every 2nd ball in first 20mins of that half and it showed. Dundalk came out with a better attitude, and Derry didn't react until they conceded. I could see how mad Higgins was at a few of the Derry players in that period of the 2nd half.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts
    Good game in Oriel Park last night, and great atmosphere, big crowd down from Derry too, the club announced 'approx 3,500' or something like that, but most I spoke to thought just over 4k.

Dundalk def the better side the first half, but not good from Boyle who was knocked off the ball far far too easy for Derry equaliser. I wasn't overly impressed with Derry in first half, expected Patching to dominate the middle. With so many new debuts for Dundalk I was worried going up, would have taken a draw before the game.

Second half, Bone skinned, pardon the pun for the second equaliser, he had a good game actually, could have scored with a cracking long range effort first half. To be fair though Derry def finished the stronger side, and McGonigle should really have scored to make it 3-2 last 5 mins, hit the bar when he had time, but what a player he is, he looks to have it all, pace, skill, strength, the whole package, I was very impressed with him. I had good chat with a friendly Derry crew in the upstairs bar of the stand after the match, all seemed to enjoy the trip and the game. Super display by young Bradley on the right wing for us.

Overall a draw was a fair result, and great to get off and running with a good display and the first point onboard.
    Last edited by oriel; 19/02/2022 at 7:49 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Not sure I'd agree with that. Played OK, had a couple of good shots but if it was Duffy playing left instead of Lafferty we would have been in a lot of trouble. If Leahy is back next week I would be moving Macari right back and dropping Bone, looks suspect.

Why did Derry fans have Russian and Chinese flags with them last night? Would have thought people from Derry would be against foreign occupation?
    Well Bone certainly kept Maher on his pins all night that's for sure.I think Sam knows he's behind Leahy in the pecking order and is trying in his absence to lay down a marker.He needs to concentrate a bit more on not get caught out of position so much but he had a good game.

Anyone else see Mark Connolly having a right snap at Nathan Sheppard at FT? I like Connolly but if he needed to say something to him he should have waited until they got back to the dressers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post

Actually I now recall, there were Derry fans in the upstairs bar last night taking a photo with a flag I couldn't see clearly, maybe Cuban ?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast