Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2022

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Haven’t seen an official figure for Pats Sligo but it was comfortably around the 4,000 mark
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Anyone have the crowd figures for the PD games last night, Bohs v DFC, Derry v Rovers, Pats v Sligo, Drogs v Shels ? (UCD v FH was 700-800 est)

Some turn out in the FD from Cork, Waterford and Cobh even.
    They announced 3235 for the Derry Shams game during commentary on RTE.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    4,984 at Turners Cross.
    Fair play. That's quality.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Post Caulfield recovery starting in earnest?
    Galway's pre-post Caulfield era will continue for some time yet if they keep gettings wins in places like Turners X.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    It could be a post Galway era quick enough as its wins v the Waterfords that's likely to be more important than in Turners Cross. Top slot or bust for Caulfield as the play-offs have already been bottled by him with a vastly better resourced club and then there is the Premier League team to beat and any of the favourites to be in that position look equipped to cope based on some quality shown in this 1st round already.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    They announced 3235 for the Derry Shams game during commentary on RTE.
    Isn't the Brandywell capacity 3,300 ? So essentially a sell-out ?

To paraphrase Jaws - 'We're gonna need bigger stadia' around the LOI

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    The game was sold out but there has been bigger attendances at the Brandywell before.

I believe the council are conducting a risk assessment on using the side of the MF stand for small number of standing tickets. Whilst people do congregate there at the minute it can’t officially be included in capacity or obviously by extension ticket sales.

I believe there was close to 4,000 for the league cup final against Dundalk 3(?) seasons ago now so there is scope for a little bit more.

However with Sligo tomorrow night now sold put as well it does highlight the disgrace that is the lack of progress on phase two of the development as capacity is approximately half what it should be.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    The game was sold out but there has been bigger attendances at the Brandywell before.

I believe the council are conducting a risk assessment on using the side of the MF stand for small number of standing tickets. Whilst people do congregate there at the minute it can’t officially be included in capacity or obviously by extension ticket sales.

I believe there was close to 4,000 for the league cup final against Dundalk 3(?) seasons ago now so there is scope for a little bit more.

However with Sligo tomorrow night now sold put as well it does highlight the disgrace that is the lack of progress on phase two of the development as capacity is approximately half what it should be.
    Would completely the Mark Farren Stamd really make Brandywell over a 6,500 capacity ? That would be immense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    You'll like get sold out signs for the rest of the season, especially if you're selling out on Mondays. 3200 capacity is nowhere near enough for a well supported club like Derry challenging at the top and in Europe.
    Would renting or buying temporary seating be an option? Would definitely at the very least pay for itself, if allowed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    4,984 at Turners Cross.
    That must be a first division record?! Phenomenal support.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Would completely the Mark Farren Stamd really make Brandywell over a 6,500 capacity ? That would be immense.
    A quick google of the phase two funding announcement from a few years ago probably needed to confirm this but I think it would capacity at about that aye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    unreal crowd down in cork friday would go far as to say it looked like even more than was reported, not seen that amount of people in tc since start of 2018. If we had 2.5-3k a week for the season id be delighted . cant help but feel a late equaliser would have helped keep on to a few of the new people who came through the gates friday, but it wasnt to be.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    That must be a first division record?! Phenomenal support.
    Derry City might have topped it back when they first joined?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Derry City might have topped it back when they first joined?
    Easily. They were getting 10-12,000 at games. Some of their away games back then would probably have topped that Cork figure even.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    A quick google of the phase two funding announcement from a few years ago probably needed to confirm this but I think it would capacity at about that aye
    When the £36m Sub-Regional Stadium funding was announced just over a decade ago, the talk was that Glentoran and DCFC would each get £10m from it.

That's still the story for Glentoran, which was/is to have an 8k capacity stadium capable of staging European games to UEFA Category 3:
    https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/...aited-21407121

And I'm pretty sure they had something very similar in mind for The RMcB Brandywell.

In the meantime, I think recent improvements were at least partly-funded by Derry & Strabane Council, possibly in anticipation of getting it back when the Sub-Regional funding finally came through?

Of course, I could be imagining that, except for this from this morning, curiously enough:
    "This week, the Derry City and Strabane District Council unanimously passed a motion calling on the Department for Communities to open the Sub-Regional Stadia Programme for Soccer Fund before the end of the current Assembly mandate."
    https://www.derrydaily.net/2022/02/2...op-brandywell/

Meanwhile, it is entirely coincidental that when this funding was originally announced, the First Minister was Peter Robinson, MLA for East Belfast, and the Deputy First Minister was Martin McGuinness, MLA for Foyle.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    When the £36m Sub-Regional Stadium funding was announced just over a decade ago, the talk was that Glentoran and DCFC would each get £10m from it.
    I don't think that's correct EG. From memory, the figure for Derry was only about £3m? What would they do with £10m - build another Brandywell right beside the current one ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    I don't think that's correct EG. From memory, the figure for Derry was only about £3m? What would they do with £10m - build another Brandywell right beside the current one ?
    No, it was to be £10m - I mean, can you imagine the uproar if "themmuns in East Belfast" got £10m and "ussuns in Derry" only got £3m?

And this extract from a BBC report in 2015 stated the following:
    "Combined funding from Derry city council and Stormont government departments means that around £10m will be spent on the overall project, although that is not quite finalised."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northe...-west-30876684

I don't know how much of that sum was due from the Council - and it is their responsibility as stadium owners, after all - but I'm quite sure the thick end was/is due from Stormont.

As it happens, I suspect the recent upgrades at the RMcB Brandywell came from the Council tranche, meaning that the remainder from Stormont could be used to increase capacity significantly (up to 8k?).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Easily. They were getting 10-12,000 at games. Some of their away games back then would probably have topped that Cork figure even.
    I remember going to a FD league game in Oriel Park in Nov 1986 when Monaghan asked to move their 'home' Derry game, there was def more than 5k at that one alone. I also recall their home crowds in FD being up to 12k.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    No, it was to be £10m - I mean, can you imagine the uproar if "themmuns in East Belfast" got £10m and "ussuns in Derry" only got £3m?

And this extract from a BBC report in 2015 stated the following:
    "Combined funding from Derry city council and Stormont government departments means that around £10m will be spent on the overall project, although that is not quite finalised."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northe...-west-30876684

I don't know how much of that sum was due from the Council - and it is their responsibility as stadium owners, after all - but I'm quite sure the thick end was/is due from Stormont.

As it happens, I suspect the recent upgrades at the RMcB Brandywell came from the Council tranche, meaning that the remainder from Stormont could be used to increase capacity significantly (up to 8k?).
    The work that's already been done to Brandywell was £7m. Out of a £10m TOTAL cost, that therefore leaves them looking for £3m from Stormont, as stated.

Work on £7m Brandywell redevelopment to be completed before end of the year - The Irish News

Can you imagine the uproar from Irish League clubs if the majority of their stadium money went to the Glens and 'a club that don't even play in NI' ?

Also - where are you going to add 5,000 seats onto the Brandywell? Never mind with only £3m to do it.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 27/02/2022 at 6:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    The work that's already been done to Brandywell was £7m. Out of a £10m TOTAL cost, that therefore leaves them looking for £3m from Stormont, as stated.

Work on £7m Brandywell redevelopment to be completed before end of the year - The Irish News
    Then that's the remaining £3m, then. (And I still think that the Council's £7m was predicated on their getting at least some of it back when the full allocation for DCFC came through from Stormont, though I accept I could be wrong about that).

Can you imagine the uproar from Irish League clubs if the majority of their stadium money went to the Glens and 'a club that don't even play in NI' ?
    You misunderstand the "rationale" behind this funding. When the £140m(?) Maze project fell through, Stormont redirected funds to the three bodies for "Regional" Stadia - Windsor, Ravenhill and Casement.

This £36m we're talking about is the second phase of funding for "sub-Regional" stadia, that is, stadia further down at the next level. Meaning the bulk of the money was/is to go to mid-sized stadia in Belfast and Derry., capable of accommodating eg European club games, cup finals etc. As such, the Oval is the only one in Belfast with room to redevelop to that sort of size - I'd have imagined the Brandywell also, though I'm open to correction on that one.

And the other IL clubs had nothing to do with the decision - Stormont's money, Stormont's allocation. At which point I assure you, Messrs. Robinson and McGuinness will, shall we say, have taken a very keen interest!

Also - where are you going to add 5,000 seats onto the Brandywell? Never mind with only £3m to do it.
    Can't comment on that specifically, but the stadium "footprint" is very big, no? Besides, to take it eg to 8k, it would be nearer 4k, also not all the extra capacity may be seating - part standing could also help, whilst being cheaper to build.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 27/02/2022 at 7:24 PM.

Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast