Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1309

Thread: Attendances 2022

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Very frustrated with those Longford figures. We've got a brilliant ground, our managers since Fenn all the way through to Cronin have all played a really good brand of ball but we simply aren't resonating with the local community. Up to the powers that be to knock heads together and see why that is and what can be done.
    Was down at a match last season and was around town for a while beforehand . There was little or nothing around town to suggest there was a game on that evening , plus with the ground so far out of town you don't get fans drinking in town before the game and then walking to the ground like you would in Sligo or Drogheda or Dundalk etc.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    The town itself is in a bad state these days. Empty premises everywhere and not much signs of life. There isn't much in the way of disposable income floating around.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    The town itself is in a bad state these days. Empty premises everywhere and not much signs of life. There isn't much in the way of disposable income floating around.
    Yeah that's true enough , sad to see

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Would certainly help if the local media paid more attention to the club - just had a look at the Longford Leader sports pages, and the only mention of Town is for the fixtures announcement:

https://www.longfordleader.ie/section/135/sport

Now of course, this being the close season, it's probably completely unrepresentative of their true coverage, but it still seems less than even junior soccer gets in the local papers here.
    Longford Leader was always very bad for coverage of Longford Town. Since the Longford News went belly up over a decade ago press coverage is extremely poor to say the least.
    In regards to attendances in Bishopsgate think there is a huge disconnect between LTFC and the local soccer clubs. Also it doesnt help that Longford is a GAA county and always will be.
    Strangely enough our crowds were always better with winter football. I remember when Stephen Kenny was in charge there was a huge connection between the club and Longford town in particular but since then it has declined majorly badly.

The massive crowds we got over 20 years ago we will never get again Im afraid to say!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    It might not be coincidence that both Midland clubs are struggling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    To be fair, only 4 out of 19 teams saw a decline- and apart from Longford, I can see obvious reasons why. Dundalk left a golden period (but even still, it's only a handful of people difference), Athlone continues to be a basketcase (which is pretty sad), and Bray had a very unpopular merge. I don't get why Longford's attendance dropped though.
    As Stu says, you're always going to get some clubs whose attendances go down, meaning it's the bigger picture which counts.

It is also not just English Rugby either. Also in Ireland, Rugby attendance is falling: https://archive.ph/6F0mh
    I was referring to Rugby League, which has always been a professional sport. They're worried that some of their f-t clubs may now have to go p-t.

Whereas with Rugby Union, the (relatiuvely recent) transition to professional status has, with a few exceptions (Irish provinces, France), been a disaster for the game domestically throughout Eng/Scot/Wales/Ire in terms of finances and participation, with attendances none too clever either.

I do think the rise in attendance doesn't have much to do with COVID, but rather just a general disillusionment with the top level of the sport. I find people are less rabid English Premiership fans now than in the early 2000s- and more or often, less people are totaly wrapped up in it and are more casual fans.
    It could always be both (Covid and disillusionment etc). Though I suspect that if there is a drop-off in interest in Ireland for the EPL, also Celtic/Rangers, it may be down to the difficulty and expense of getting match tickets for trips over?0
    It would be interesting to know how TV subscriptions are holding up - maybe folk are still watching their Eng/Scot team on the box at home or in the pub AND going out to their local LOI/IL team a bit more often?

While in England itself, EPL crowds are as high as ever, with almost all games being sold out, which is why virtually all the clubs are expanding their stadia (if they've not recently done so).

Finally, I always thought the LOI was a great product. I watched it with many foreign football friends who absolutely loved the pace of the game and the less theatrics in it than maybe the top-level ball. Even still, compared to GAA, LOI is a slog, it takes a huge amount of effort to follow a team for a year. Its fantastic to see the attendance rise over a whole season and not just big games.
    I daresay if you can persuade new people to give it a try, many will be impressed and come back again.

But having an attractive product is one thing, getting them in in the first place is quite another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    there is a huge disconnect between LTFC and the local soccer clubs.
    Therein lies a problem. In a rural region, it's important to have the local clubs on board.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Longford Leader was always very bad for coverage of Longford Town. Since the Longford News went belly up over a decade ago press coverage is extremely poor to say the least.
    In regards to attendances in Bishopsgate think there is a huge disconnect between LTFC and the local soccer clubs. Also it doesnt help that Longford is a GAA county and always will be.
    Strangely enough our crowds were always better with winter football. I remember when Stephen Kenny was in charge there was a huge connection between the club and Longford town in particular but since then it has declined majorly badly.

The massive crowds we got over 20 years ago we will never get again Im afraid to say!
    Has the club not worked on divide between themselves and local clubs though? They've a partnership with Melview and have invited loads of kids out to ground this season, players took pics and signed stuff for them, it was great to see. I agree with Nigel, you wouldn't know there's a game on in the town but how do you change that? Club put posters up for years, zero impact.

It's been raised above and correctly that Longford Town is in an awful state, I was down home recently and I couldn't believe the amount of boarded up units. When you see bookmakers even shutting down you know things are bad. Not to mention the fueding and general ****e that has plauged the town in recent years, people dont want to go into longford and shop, times are tough.

Personally, I think the club missed a huge trick when we had Aodh Dervin, should have made him full-time and when he's not training he's in schools, he's getting pictures outside sponsors businesses etc

It's clear we've been raided by other clubs and we've turned to young unproven players. I'd gladly accept a few years of that if it meant the club invested off the field by hiring more full time staff. We don't even have merchandise to buy for xmas, small stuff like that really ****es supporters off.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    you need to invite more of these clubs to the games, get them to meet the players etc. in time it will feed into the numbers as these kids get older
    one thing that is counter productive is giving out loads of free tickets... if people get stuff for free they think its worthless, years ago at my club we gave out free tickets to first time visitors and we tracked them to see if they came again, and sure enough hardly any were used.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Yeah they've always had at least some merchandise available at Christmas. Shame they haven't this year. Wouldn't have made a fortune but every little helps. It's very hard to keep a LOI team going nowadays. If they need to cut the budget to keep the show on the road then that's something we have to live with.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I properly didnt explain myself right I appreciate that my club have ties with Melview FC which is a start but I am on about the senior CCFL sides based in Longford like Longford Celtic, Mostrim Athletic. I dont think that has being tapped into. Surely that could be given a go?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    I properly didnt explain myself right I appreciate that my club have ties with Melview FC which is a start but I am on about the senior CCFL sides based in Longford like Longford Celtic, Mostrim Athletic. I dont think that has being tapped into. Surely that could be given a go?
    I'm not really sure what good that would do. It's a bog standard level of football that you'll never recruit players from and it's grown adults who've already got other commitments and interests so they aren't overly marketable. It's the kids we need to be trying to target. We definitely should be doing more but then again I've been told of clubs banning people involved with LTFC from attending their games. Players being told if they go on trial with LTFC they won't be on representative sides. Even when I was involved in the LDSL I always found there was an animosity towards LTFC.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Not far off a full house of attendances being up at every club in the LOI, it’s only Athlone, Bray, Dundalk and Longford that are down
    Some really big increases at quite a few clubs too, which is very encouraging. The league is definitely going through a growth spurt at the moment. Such that the capacity and state of some stadiums is now a real limitation on further growth.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 23/12/2022 at 3:14 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Very frustrated with those Longford figures. We've got a brilliant ground, our managers since Fenn all the way through to Cronin have all played a really good brand of ball but we simply aren't resonating with the local community. Up to the powers that be to knock heads together and see why that is and what can be done.
    Have you tried appointing a Climate Officer, or a 'Poet in Residence' ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    First Division Twitter followers:
    Finn Harps 22500
    Waterford 21100
    Bray 20200
    Galway 17700
    Cobh 14300
    Longford 13500
    Wexford 12300
    Treaty 8983
    Kerry 5147
    Athlone 5132
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Probably more for the "Promotional Activities" thread, so will post more on same anon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Therein lies a problem. In a rural region, it's important to have the local clubs on board.
    Is it, though?

You could argue that they are actually in competition, at least when it comes to attracting volunteers to fill the various off-field roles, also sponsors to an extent. While when it comes to players, they will likely be competing for kids (though not adult players, obviously) for their Academy etc.

Looking eg at Fermanagh, you have a senior club, Ballinamallard, and you have 20-odd junior clubs in a rural county of 50k people. Essentially the Mallards operate at a remove from those others. This is because you have some people who are fans of Senior football, and some who are fans of Junior football via their local club. And while some of the latter may go to watch the Mallards when circumstances permit, especially if eg some of the big Belfast clubs are in town, basically these are separate activities.

At its extreme, you see this in England, where the fans of EPL clubs look down on local EFL clubs and vice versa, while further on down the pyramid, fans of non-league clubs consider theirs is "real football" while league fans consider it to be "pub football" etc - and this rivalry can apply to clubs which in are in the very same town or region!

Meaning that in the end, clubs like Longford Town should surely be looking to manage by their own resources, and not hope merely to survive by drawing on the (scant) resources of other, separate, clubs, solely because they're from the same county/area/region.

And to do that they need to be offering something that local clubs in their region cannot.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 24/12/2022 at 1:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    In the last full season before Covid hit, 2018-19, the average home attendance for the four Irish provinces was 12,502, which last season was down to 10,242.

10,242 x 4 = 40,968 total average home attendance of the 4 Proviencial Rugby Clubs.

486,365 came to Premier Division games, an average of 2,687 and 178,000 attended First Division matches, an average of 1,193,

[(2,687 + 1,193)/ 2] x 19 = 36,860 total average home attendance of the LOI.

Rough maths, give or take... Put it seems pretty clear that domestic soccer is catching up to professional rugby, and might even surpass it next season (if the average LOI attendance goes up 210). Also not clear if the rugby numbers include their European Games or not (I pretty sure it does), and if it doesnt, they only play 21 games (+3 playoff rounds), and have bumper attendence for Leinster vs Munster in the Aviva, which would have a little skew of their numbers.

According to wiki, Total URL attendance for Irish Clubs:

Connacht 40,140
    Ulster 91,752
    Munster 102,101
    Leinster 155,512Total= 389,505 (minus Ulster is 297,753)

LOI mens Total= 664,365

So the LOI brings in far more bums on seats in a season than Provencial Rugby does.

Best I could find on the GAA is this: https://www.balls.ie/gaa/gaa-attenda...d-world-124430, which shows the total GAA attendance is 880,000. Considering GAA does particulary well with creating finals and big matches - LOI is doing pretty well. If you add the FAI cup or removed the All-Ireland finals from the GAA to make it a more like-for-like comparison, they are not that far away from each other.
    Interesting numbers (at least for a sad old statto like myself!).

In the above context, LOI figures (664k) stack up weill against GAA (880k) and Rugby (390k), But with these last two both being all-Ireland sports, you arguably might throw in another 400k-odd from the IL into the total figure for football, to contend that it is actually the "biggest" sport on the island overall.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 24/12/2022 at 4:15 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    So we are saying that there are more bums on seats at Football on this island when compared to Gaa County games. I would never have thought that its made my Chrimbo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    President cup final, Derry city v Shamrock rovers. Home tickets sold out with 600 away fans (guessing they'll sell out too). Took 8 mins to sell out home tickets online ?*??

More terrace tickets this season so probably just over 4k per game at the Ryan Mc Bride Brandywell stadium for next season.

Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 155563646566 LastLast