Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1309

Thread: Attendances 2022

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Rough etimate of 3.2k at the Brandywell tonight.
    Certainly didn't sell out, which is being a rarity this season.
    Do you think it would have sold out if it had been on a Friday instead of mid-week?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Do you think it would have sold out if it had been on a Friday instead of mid-week?
    Absolutely. I think it was only Pat's on a Monday and a UCD game earlier in the year that haven't sold out.

Shows that we could be doing with having the Brandywell finished.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Absolutely. I think it was only Pat's on a Monday and a UCD game earlier in the year that haven't sold out.

Shows that we could be doing with having the Brandywell finished.
    Would definitely be interesting to see what sort of crowds Derry would get if the stadium wasn't the limitation it is now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Would definitely be interesting to see what sort of crowds Derry would get if the stadium wasn't the limitation it is now.
    The scramble for tickets for almost every game this season has been unheard off.

The cup game on Sunday could have sold out twice over easily (Already sold out) and as Brendy said only a few games haven't been sold out this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    The scramble for tickets for almost every game this season has been unheard off.

The cup game on Sunday could have sold out twice over easily (Already sold out) and as Brendy said only a few games haven't been sold out this season.
    Any plans in the works to extend the new stand to what was in the original design?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Any plans in the works to extend the new stand to what was in the original design?
    Nothing Concrete anyway!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    They're waiting on Stormont funding. And the SF Minister responsible there is holding the football money hostage until they get more for the Casement Park cost increases. So nothing of anything seems to be happening. We grumble about things down here, the Childrens' Hospital etc - but the north is a proper political basket case where nothing happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    They're waiting on Stormont funding. And the SF Minister responsible there is holding the football money hostage until they get more for the Casement Park cost increases. So nothing of anything seems to be happening. We grumble about things down here, the Childrens' Hospital etc - but the north is a proper political basket case where nothing happens.
    A few months back(?), I suggested that when the original £36m Sub-Regional Funding was first agreed, over a decade ago, Peter Robinson and Martin McGujinness had already (unofficially) earmarked £!0m of it each for The Oval (PR) and the Brandywell (MM).

And when I suggested that Derry & Strabane Council may have advanced £3m for Phase 1 of the Brandywell redevelopment, in anticipation of future Sub-Regional funding from Stormont, you poo-poohed the idea, on two counts:
    1. Specifically that Stormont can't just disburse this money to a Council i.e. you were clearly unaware that the Council actually owned the Brandywell and so qualified; and
    2. More generally, that "that's not how these things work" (paraphrasing).

Yet by your above comments in bold, you're actually reinforcing the fact that that's exactly how these things work!

Parish-pump politics of the worst kind.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 15/09/2022 at 6:15 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    A few months back(?), I suggested that when the original £36m Sub-Regional Funding was first agreed, over a decade ago, Peter Robinson and Martin McGujinness had already (unofficially) earmarked £!0m of it each for The Oval (PR) and the Brandywell (MM).

And when more recently, I suggested that Derry & Strabane Council may have advanced £3m for Phase 1 of the Brandywell redevelopment, in anticipation of future Sub-Regional funding from Stormont, you poo-poohed the idea, on two counts:
    1. Specifically that Stormont can't just disburse this money to a Council i.e. you were clearly unaware that the Council owned the Brandywell and so qualified; and
    2. More generally that "that's not how these things work" (paraphrasing).

Yet by your above comments in bold, you're actually reinforcing the fact that that's exactly how these things work!
    I can't believe you've leapt into this hackneyed old hole to start digging it deeper again for yourself !

The above is just pure bullsh!t. Go away and look at what I actually wrote and the schooling I had to give you about the whole thing, and then come back and see if you want to keep digging yourself deeper again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I can't believe you've leapt into this hackneyed old hole to start digging it deeper again for yourself !

The above is just pure bullsh!t. Go away and look at what I actually wrote and the schooling I had to give you about the whole thing, and then come back and see if you want to keep digging yourself deeper again
    What, you expect me to look for something which you claim rubbishes my point? Very strange, I must say.

How about YOU find the "hole" which you claim exists. Or are you reluctant to do so, since it would reveal that you were the one behind the wheel of the mechanical digger.

P.S. I usually find on such forums that whenever someone claims to have "schooled" another poster, without offering any actual evidence, its a clear sign that he/she is bluffing, especially when expressed in more intemperate language than usual.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    What, you expect me to look for something which you claim rubbishes my point? Very strange, I must say.

How about YOU find the "hole" which you claim exists. Or are you reluctant to do so, since it would reveal that you were the one behind the wheel of the mechanical digger.

P.S. I usually find on such forums that whenever someone claims to have "schooled" another poster, without offering any actual evidence, its a clear sign that he/she is bluffing, especially when expressed in more intemperate language than usual.
    You made two patently false claims re the Brandywell :

1) That Derry council were seeking £10m from Stormont to complete the stadium.
    2) That Brandywell can be upgraded to 8,000 as a result.

I refer you back to my below response of 22nd May 2022 (Post #6925 on the 'Stadium Updates thread'), where I dissected your points on this :

This is why trying to debate anything with you on here is both maddening and pointless. Whenever you're pulled up for getting something wrong (e.g. your laughable claims about the LSL), rather than just hold your hands up and have the grace, sense and integrity to admit you got it wrong - you instead pursue a dual strategy of pointless tangets to try to hide the fact you were wrong, whilst also doubling down on the original daft claim yet again.

To dissect your latest comments :

1) I have never claimed that there would be NO Stormont money for the Branyswlel, so your claim on that is irrelevant. As I have made clear repeatedly - and as the newspaper articles I posted previously to you on this have made clear - the plan for the Brandywell was for that Stormont regional fund to provide £3m of the £10m build cost. You made a claim that the contribution being sought from Stormont had been £10m, when in fact that was just the TOTAL cost of the project. But rather than just hold your hands up and accept that was an error, you're persisting with that £10m Stormont claim. For the love of god, please just stop.

2) You don't need anyone to lend you a hand on derailing your own posts EG As for the Brandywell's potential capacity, you have previously admitted that you haven't been in the ground since the new stand went in there. So you're not exactly familiar with the place. Once that new stand is completed, the ground will have something like a 5,500 capacity (Derry fans please correct if wrong). I therefore challenge you to explain where an extra 2,500 could be fitted into the Brandywell. I don't care what any document may have suggested, or your theories about trying to equalise the capacity of the Brandywell and the Oval (like that is a credible issue for anyone really) - I'm talking about common feckin sense and obvious facts. Go on Google earth, look at the Brandywell, and tell us where an extra 2,500 vould be accomodated once the new stand there is completed all the way along. And please - don't bother replying until you've done that exercise, as it'll make you realise where you're going wrong.
    Then - as you always do when you're schooled on here - rather than just hold your hands up and accept you got it wrong, you did your usual disappearing act. Just like you vanished in the discussion on LSL clubs after you repeatedly made claims about the clubs there which everyone pointed out to you were just wrong. You failed to respond to the above post, and now here you are 7mths later on a different thread unearthing your nonsesense claims again, and making up what I allegedly said. Presumably your failure to respond previously was because you couldn't refute the points I'd made.

Now you're back again on this hobby horse again, your latest points aren't even correct with what you yourself said previously. To reiterate - the council in Derry never forwarded any money to Stormont, and certainly not £3m. It spent SEVEN MILLION of its own money completing what it thought would be Phase 1 of a redevelopment project. The ENTIRE project was costed at TEN MILLION, hence they were looking for THREE MILLION from Stormont to complete it via the Phase 2 work which bhasn't happened yet. I have previously posted articles that back all this up, yet you're still wanging on about what is patently nonsense.

You really are a poor attempt at a troll on here sometimes. For the love of God, please just give it a rest.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 16/09/2022 at 1:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    You made two patently false claims re the Brandywell :

1) That Derry council were seeking £10m from Stormont to complete the stadium.
    Wrong!

I said that Stormont had (unofficially) earmarked £10m each for The Oval and the Brandywell to provide 2 x medium sized stadia in NI.

And since the Council owns the Brandywell - something you had to be informed of - supplying funding to them would, after the large Regional Stadium at Windsor, serve the second leg of the strategy, and suit everyones agenda, as follows:
    They are the two biggest clubs in NI along with Linfield; Both are in the two biggest cities; Both provide a georgraphical spread; and (crucially) Both lie in the constituencies of the then FM and DFM.
    Which explains the following:
    "In November 2016, then deputy first minister Martin McGuiness said he expected funding for phase two for Derry City’s stadium to be allocated in 2017."
    https://www.derrydaily.net/2021/08/1...-funding-date/

and

"A sum of £10m has already been earmarked for the [Glentoran] project in the Northern Ireland Executive's sub-regional stadia programme for soccer which was published [in December 2015]."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38175609

Meanwhile, the third leg of the strategy would see the remaining £16m go to various small regional stadia.

2) That Brandywell can be upgraded to 8,000 as a result.
    Neither you nor I know exactly how much the stadium could be enlarged. But even if it couldn't extend to 8k, the original Stormont scheme proposed medium-sized stadia of 6-8k:

Purpose: To provide funding towards the achievement of safe stadia. The
    stadium should be suitable for hosting high level competition matches with a
    moderate capacity level of 6,000 to 8,000 persons.
     Budget: A budget of circa £10 million will be made available for this strand.
     Maximum Award: The maximum award available is up to £10 million.
     Partnership Funding: A minimum of 20% partnership funding is required.

https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/co...programme-socc

And there is no doubt that the Brandywell could be enlarged to hold 6k.

(Incidentally, with the recent introduction of Safe Standing in GB, the Glens are now looking to rebuild The Oval to 10k, with two 1k standing terraces at either end and 8k in two seated stands along the sides).

The rest of your post is blether.

For the love of God, please just give it a rest.
    So you can have the last word?

OK, if you must, fire away.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 16/09/2022 at 3:02 PM.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Lads, respectfully, I enjoy both of your posts when you're engaging with literally anybody but each other...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Wrong!

I said that Stormont had (unofficially) earmarked £10m each for The Oval and the Brandywell to provide 2 x medium sized stadia in NI.

And since the Council owns the Brandywell - something you had to be informed of - supplying funding to them would, after the large Regional Stadium at Windsor, serve the second leg of the strategy, and suit everyones agenda, as follows:
    Please show where I have ever needed to be told that the Council owned the Brandywell ? I've known since the minute Derry enterded the LOII in 1985 that the council own their ground. So back your claim up here or withdraw it.

You have provided zero evidence for your claim that Stormont allocated £10m for the Brandywell. Zero. Yet I have previously posted articles which showed that the total cost of refurbishing the Brandywell was £10m - of which the council has already spent £7m in Phase 1. What the hell are they going to do with £10m at that stadium now ? It just needs a single stand completed ? Phase 1 of the Brandywell cost £7m and did the following :

1) Mark Farren Stand (part built).
    2) New pitch.
    3) New relocated Greyhound Stadium.
    4) New perimeter walling around ground.
    5) Issues adressed re the Sounthend Stand.
    6) New turnstiles and electronic system all around the ground
    7) Temporary toilets, shop etc.
    8) Doubtless other stuff I didn't notice there too

So having done that with only £7m - please tell us all what Derry council need £10m from Stormont for ? You;re talking utter rubbish here.

They are the two biggest clubs in NI along with Linfield; Both are in the two biggest cities; Both provide a georgraphical spread; and (crucially) Both lie in the constituencies of the then FM and DFM.
    Which explains the following:
    "In November 2016, then deputy first minister Martin McGuiness said he expected funding for phase two for Derry City’s stadium to be allocated in 2017."
    https://www.derrydaily.net/2021/08/1...-funding-date/

and

"A sum of £10m has already been earmarked for the [Glentoran] project in the Northern Ireland Executive's sub-regional stadia programme for soccer which was published [in December 2015]."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38175609

Meanwhile, the third leg of the strategy would see the remaining £16m go to various small regional stadia.
    This is all very well, but sheds ZERO light on your claims re the Brandywell. You're just throwing sand in the air in an effort to confuse people. I've never denied that there was a cosy wee unofficial deal done between Robinson and McGuinness over the Brandywell and the Oval. It was well reported in the media. The point of difference is for how much, as the media only ever claimed £10m for The Oval - not the Brandywell. I've provided evidence that the TOTAL Brandywell project cost was £10m, with the council covering £7 of that and the rest being sought from Stomront. You've provided zero evidence to back up your cliams, which don't even survive simple common sense let alone evidence. Yet still you persist. PLEASE PROVIDE EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT YOUR CLAIM THAT £10M IS BEING SOUGHT BY DERRY FROM STORMONT. If you can;t then stop repeating it.

Neither you nor I know exactly how much the stadium could be enlarged.
    I know for an absolute fact that the Brandywell could not be increased to 8,000 by the expenditure of another £3m, or by utilising the current footprint of the stadium and its existing stands. I know this because it's blatantly obvious common sense to anyone with eyes. Just like Tallaght can't be increased to 20,000 by building the North Stand. LOOK AT GOOGLE EARTH - THERE ISN'T THE FCUKING ROOM AT THE BRANDYWELL!! The only way you would get Brandywell to 8,000 would be to flatten it and start again. But this has never been on the cards. Again - please stop claiming that night is day here. Repeating a false claim doesn't magically make it true. It's just Trumpist nonesense.

But even if it couldn't extend to 8k, the original Stormont scheme proposed medium-sized stadia of 6-8k:

Purpose: To provide funding towards the achievement of safe stadia. The
    stadium should be suitable for hosting high level competition matches with a
    moderate capacity level of 6,000 to 8,000 persons.
     Budget: A budget of circa £10 million will be made available for this strand.
     Maximum Award: The maximum award available is up to £10 million.
     Partnership Funding: A minimum of 20% partnership funding is required.

https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/co...programme-socc
    More sand being thrown in people's eyes on this. It doesn't matter what that says, it doesn't alter the blindingly obvious fact that you can't get 8,000 capacity at the Brandywell within the existing footprint, or without flattening the place and starting again. I'll keep repeating it until you accept the undeniably obvious reality of this. Or at the very least provide any evidence that the plan was ever for the Brandywell to have 8,000 capacity. Again - put up or shut up.

And there is no doubt that the Brandywell could be enlarged to hold 6k
    I've never said it couldn't. I've pointed out that completing the Mark Farren Stand would get it to the region of 5,500. So I've no idea why you feel this is such a revelation.

The rest of your post is blether.
    On the irony ! Your posts on this - as on so many other issues - are just unedvidenced. made up fantasy. You really need to just stop repeating it, as it doesn't make it true.

MODERATORS - Can you do something to stop someone continually just trolling on stuff like this? Surely if claims are going to be continually restated and someone goaded over them then they need to be backed up with evidence? Apologies - but this is maddening and frustrating. And it's something that Ealing Green does on a regular basis (again - reference his infamous lecture to everyone about the state of LSL clubs, which was completely made up nonsesense that he refused to accept was so and then just disappeared when the heat was piling on). Surely if stuff gets challenged repeatedly then the onus is on the poster to provide evidence or just stop repeating falsehoods ?
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 16/09/2022 at 3:38 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    MODERATORS - Can you do something to stop someone continually just trolling on stuff like this? Surely if claims are going to be continually restated and someone goaded over them then they need to be backed up with evidence? Apologies - but this is maddening and frustrating. And it's something that Ealing Green does on a reguklar basis (again - ike his infamous lecture to everyone on LSL clubs, which was completely made up nonsesense that he refused to accept was so).
    I'm not a mod here, but in the spirit of slk above, can I suggest reporting the post (and toning down your own posts too)?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I'm not a mod here, but in the spirit of slk above, can I suggest reporting the post (and toning down your own posts too)?
    Apologies - but it's like dealing with Trump. No surprise that frustration kicks in when fantasy is continually presented as fact, and there is a refusal to back it up.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    3,500 at EDP tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    3,612 at the RSC for the cup game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPXcyan View Post
    3,612 at the RSC for the cup game.
    Fantastic crowd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    How big was the crowd at Eamonn Deasy Park yesterday?
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast