Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Euro 2028

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Anfield can't be involved because the playing field is too small. The new Everton stadium will definitely be one of the 10.
    Good article in The Observer last weekend speculating that it’s quite possible that it won’t be finished due to Everton’s finances. They don’t actually have the money committed to complete the construction. Looks like a nightmare waiting to happen especially if they were to be relegated.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    A better way to deal with the qualification issue might be to reserve two qualification spaces for non-qualified hosts. So make everyone (including England) play the qualifiers. But then hold two spaces for any host nations that don't qualify automatically.

So, taking Euro 2020 as an example of how Euro 2028 might work, England, Wales and Scotland qualified on merit for the finals so they don't need to be allocated a host space. That leaves the two host spaces free for the two teams that didn't qualify on merit - which in that case was Ireland and NI. That way everyone might get in. Obviously if fewer than three of the teams don't qualify automatically someone still has to miss out, but that's just the way of it, the worst performing team in qualifying would then have to miss out unfortunately. Just need to make sure it's not us (i.e. make sure Stephen Kenny is long gone by then!).

Having said that I prefer the route where we are just given a qualification spot, but generally nice things don't happen to us so I won't hold my breath.
    I like that idea, very fair way to do it so therefore it won't happen. ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    A better way to deal with the qualification issue might be to reserve two qualification spaces for non-qualified hosts. So make everyone (including England) play the qualifiers. But then hold two spaces for any host nations that don't qualify automatically.

So, taking Euro 2020 as an example of how Euro 2028 might work, England, Wales and Scotland qualified on merit for the finals so they don't need to be allocated a host space. That leaves the two host spaces free for the two teams that didn't qualify on merit - which in that case was Ireland and NI. That way everyone might get in. Obviously if fewer than three of the teams don't qualify automatically someone still has to miss out, but that's just the way of it, the worst performing team in qualifying would then have to miss out unfortunately. Just need to make sure it's not us (i.e. make sure Stephen Kenny is long gone by then!).

Having said that I prefer the route where we are just given a qualification spot, but generally nice things don't happen to us so I won't hold my breath.
    Very good point that. I mean that could be the fairest and one that all five nations buy into - really us, Wales, the North and Scotland because hard to see England not qualifying for a 24 team euros.

Would be lovely if they gave us an automatic spot but if I was one of the other three FAs I’d be telling the FAI and the FA to do one and threaten to vote for Turkey if us and England got the two spots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65245224

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023...roke-park-cut/

Lansdowne Road and Casement Park represent the two Irish stadiums that have made the cut for the application in 2028. Croke Park was cut due to the "one stadium per city" rule. Two Stadia for Ireland, one for Wales, one for Scotland and the other six from England.

Up against the Turkey bid and an announcement expected later this year.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I wonder what the alternative to Casement Park is down as? In the event it isn't ready I mean. Presumably the needed venue will not resort to Ireland.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Casement won't be done. So there will either be another stadium - either Croker or even more games in England - or maybe more likely the Casement games will just be spread around the other nine venues as needed. So maybe one extra game for Dublin in that event.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Is Windsor Park not fit for purpose?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    It's too small.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewayspasser View Post
    It's too small.
    You’d wonder could they not redevelop Windsor for what they are talking about spending on Casement Park. Or is it that they have already committed to the spend on Casement, and they’re not going to spend the money on two stadia ? Of course, as with everything in the North, there is probably a political element.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    You’d wonder could they not redevelop Windsor for what they are talking about spending on Casement Park. Or is it that they have already committed to the spend on Casement, and they’re not going to spend the money on two stadia ? Of course, as with everything in the North, there is probably a political element.
    Windsor Park is in a fairly tight residential area. It would be a struggle to fit a 30k seater stadium in there.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Casement won't be done. So there will either be another stadium - either Croker or even more games in England - or maybe more likely the Casement games will just be spread around the other nine venues as needed. So maybe one extra game for Dublin in that event.
    Croke Park was probably picked originally in case Casement falls through. Keeps two stadiums in Dublin and NI might then just be used as a base for some teams.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Considering that there is a complete impasse on the Casement park redevelopment, Belfast should have been wiped off the screen as a city venue. What were the architects of the application thinking, that there would be an miraculous intervention of sorts inside 2 years to transform the Casement morass into a magical stadium wonderland?

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65245224

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023...roke-park-cut/

Lansdowne Road and Casement Park represent the two Irish stadiums that have made the cut for the application in 2028. Croke Park was cut due to the "one stadium per city" rule. Two Stadia for Ireland, one for Wales, one for Scotland and the other six from England.

Up against the Turkey bid and an announcement expected later this year.
    How did Wembley/White Hart Lane get around the rule?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    All I have read has just said London was exempted. It's not like England doesn't have other stadiums.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Only one city can have more than one stadium. It's sort of like the "no Homers" rule in the Stonecutters.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    545 Posts
    as part of Euro 2020, we were due 4 games. as part of this, we're probably due 5 games (51 games across 10 stadia). kinda feels disappointing. if we had 2 stadia, it'd be 10 games which i think would feel like a real hosting event.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Thats pretty standard in a lot of UEFA or FIFA competitions.
    The national stadium (most likley based in the capital) as the final but also including a the largest club stadium in the capital. France 98 for example had Stade de France and Parc des Princes. South Africa had FNB and Ellis Park

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    545 Posts
    qatar had 8 stadia within a space a little bit larger than cork... seems there's flexibility when there's enough cash involved

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    https://mydup.com/news/dunne-casemen...ublic-services

This is what we are dealing with..they could hand the bid to turkey single handedly....

That would go down well with their "friends" in the uk !!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    https://mydup.com/news/dunne-casemen...ublic-services

This is what we are dealing with..they could hand the bid to turkey single handedly....

That would go down well with their "friends" in the uk !!
    Probably more chance of Casement being redeveloped than Turkey getting the bid.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast