Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: UEFA Euro 2028

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    32 team knock out style every game is a final!

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    A 32 team Euros seems a bit excessive though, doesn't it?

I'm sure it'll happen at some stage though, plus a 64-team World Cup. Money talks after all...
    To a certain extent yeah, I'd also be happy with the 16 teams. I just think 24 is a terrible middle point, which eliminates a lot of the entertainment from the group stages, because almost everyone progresses, so the majority of games are relatively low stakes, unless you're right on the cusp of being either a good or bad third place team. There's so little jeopardy, you win your first game and you're basically through...

Like a 32 team euros is basically like having our current 24 teams + Wales, Bosnia, Iceland, Norway, Ireland, Montenegro, Sweden and Greece. It's not great, but it's not like a huge drop in quality to the current teams outside the top 8 teams, who are very much in a league of their own... And the format improves much much more... You see it in the world cup, thinking of Germany getting knocked out in a group with Mexico, South Korea and Sweden - the dynamics of 2/4 getting out a group causes far more upsets than 2.5/4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,359 Posts
    53 teams competing in qualifying for 32 team championships would be nonsense. 16 teams was the perfect number for Euros.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    53 teams competing in qualifying for 32 team championships would be nonsense. 16 teams was the perfect number for Euros.
    You'd be nearly as well off making it a 64 team tournament after qualifying (wink)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Can we nominate a stadium/city that wasn't in the original bid?

(I don't see us getting a second ground out of it though)
    I've no idea. Someone will have to get an extra stadium. They might be more comfortable with wales or Scotland as their stadia are under the SFA and the WFA. Not the GAA

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I've no idea. Someone will have to get an extra stadium. They might be more comfortable with wales or Scotland as their stadia are under the SFA and the WFA. Not the GAA
    The only football stadiums in Wales or Scotland that have the capacity to host matches are already based in cities that are being used. So technically they'll have to deal with the SRU not SFA or WFA as Murrayfield would be the most likely stadium they'd use.

All a bit moot anyway as doubt they'll go anywhere but another English stadium. Could look for somewhere like Leeds, Leicester, Sunderland, or Southampton

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    I see they are asking the Brits to get stoned and not drunk

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...n-championship

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    I see they are asking the Brits to get stoned and not drunk

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...n-championship
    The Brits will get stoned and drunk ~ So, this will be an interesting experiment !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Germany gonna be a tough out. What a beautiful goal....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    Ita difficult to believe there is no other suitable stadium in the north.
    Eh? Nothing remotely close.

If we get allocated other one. I think it should be outside of Dublin if possible. Cork would be ideal if the use of the GAA stadium is a runner
    You won't - read my post #246.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    UEFA simply does not permit two stadia in one city - not even London, a city which could damned nearly host the whole tournament on its own. (Wembley for the Final etc is an exception).
    Which is why Dublin is out i.e. it could only ever be Aviva or Croke, and since the Aviva is 50% football, that will be it. (There is no other stadium in ROI which comes close to complying)
    Wales has one stadium which meets the criteria (Principality) and another which might, Cardiff City Stadium (unsure?), but both are in the same city, so that's a no/no.
    Scotland conceivably might do it if you included Murrayfield, except that it probably doesn't meet UEFA requirements, which are about much more than mere capacity, as well as being a rugby stadium, and why would UEFA or the SFA want to benefit a rival sport?
    Which, assuming Casement doesn't make it (increasingly likely imo), leaves England. My guess is Sunderland/SoL, though if Nottingham Forest could redevelop The City Ground in time for the final decision (odds-against, I'd say), they might be in the running. Or as 'JR89' says, Leeds or Soton might step up. (Leicester City probably aren't in the running since the city doesn't have its own international airport, what with East Midlands being closer to Derby or Nottingham)
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 16/06/2024 at 6:01 PM.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314