Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Euro 2028

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Yes. The English police weren't amply prepared for the final. The Russian police it seems were very prepared when the WC was held there ad so the trouble was kept to a minimum
    Cressida Dick ( Chief Constable of the London Metropolitan Police ) would Not be able to find Baker Street in London ! ! How she still has her job is Bizarre ! !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    My comment was intended as light-hearted and flippant, I didn't really anticipate the earnest replies and recourse to Wikipedia! Neither do I want to steer the discussion off topic.

So, just to touch on the subject briefly: firstly it depends on what is meant by 'Celtic', which is a rather vague term. But the idea that the English population is Anglo-Saxon and as such are a very separate and distinct people from those in Wales and Scotland is largely myth, seemingly borne out of 19th century national romanticism and the English seeking to justify their feelings of innate superiority. An Oxford University study from some years ago suggested that nearly two-thirds of the English population are descended from Celts, not far off that seen in Scotland and outnumbering those of Anglo-Saxon ancestry three-to-one. The Britons weren't, in fact, driven to the outer reaches of Britain, displaced by the Angles, Saxons and Jutes from the 5th century onwards, but rather lived alongside the existing populace. And whilst these newcomers brought their cultural influence to bear, certain Brythonic ways of life, for example traditional Celtic farming methods, continued to be used. Cumbric continued to be spoken until the 12th century and Cornish until the 18th.

Also mainly unfounded is the implication that Wales, Scotland and Ireland have a shared common Celtic culture quite different to that of ​England. After all, we are conducting this exchange in English. And the Welsh language is very different to Irish.

Ireland, though not to the same degree, has a rather more mixed population than is suggested in the above comment. It didn't suffer invasions on the scale that Britain did over the millennia of course, being further away from the continent. But there was a Viking invasion, Norman invasions, large numbers of colonists that arrived under the Anglo-Norman period of the Pale, as well as the Tudor invasion and the subsequent Plantation. And it goes without saying that modern Ireland has undergone significant demographic change in recent decades and this, happily, is reflected increasingly in the Ireland squad in its various age groups.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something but the map that's been posted provides no information on the cultural, ethnic and genetic make-up of modern Britain and simply appears to be a standard map with the various boundaries delineated and the corresponding territories highlighted in their associated colours - red for Wales, white for England etc.

Anyway, it's an interesting subject. Here are some links posters might find worth reading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31905764

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-cu...r-skin-2480644

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/m...ritishancestry

As far as the Euros bid goes, I agree the Euro 2020 Final fan trouble counts against the FA. Perhaps more significant than that though is UK press' role in exposing of the rampant corruption extant within FIFA and UEFA, leading to the dramatic downfall of Blatter and Platini. This won't be forgiven in a hurry.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 09/02/2022 at 12:18 AM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    The map posted is a map of the commonly-accepted Celtic Nations from the wiki page mentioned (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_nations)

England is pretty much never considered a Celtic Nation.

Maybe there's outdated cultural/historical reasons for that, but those reasons would likely only de-Celticise the other regions, not vice versa

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The map posted is a map of the commonly-accepted Celtic Nations from the wiki page mentioned (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_nations)

England is pretty much never considered a Celtic Nation.

Maybe there's outdated cultural/historical reasons for that, but those reasons would likely only de-Celticise the other regions, not vice versa
    A very basic potted history.

Scotland was that part of what we now call Great Britain that the Romans never conquered. There were Picts there as well, but just ignore them. Modern England and Wales were a single entity that the Romans would have referred to as the province of Britannia. The people there would have spoke a celtic language and would have observed similar customs to celtic peoples in France or our ancestors here.

After Rome ceased to be able to garrison Britannia, Saxons began arriving and taking control of the former Roman territory. The legend of King Arthur is supposedly based on the Celtic resistance to the Saxon invasion.

Like the Romans, the Saxons didn't have any interest in getting tangled up with the Scots. They conquered the territory that we now call England and introduced their Germanic language which ultimately evolved into English. In those bits of Roman Britannia they didn't conquer, people continued to speak their celtic language for another millennium or more, and those areas evolved into the Celtic nations of Wales and Cornwall. Because the Irish language pre-dates all this we don't have word for Wales. We call it 'Bhreatain Bheag', which translates into English as 'Little Britain'.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 09/02/2022 at 1:43 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    A few sources, none all that reliable, reporting that the joint Irish & UK bid was the only one, and that the awarding of the tournament to our joint bid should be confirmed within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I think it's a done deal, but typical that the time we finally get to host, we still have to qualify. With it being a 32 team tournament and with a decent group of players coming through hopefully qualification will be straightforward, but it would have been nice to auto qualify.

We just have to hope that Euro 2028 isn't our next major tournament appearance. Some of our emerging players like Kelleher will be pushing 30 by then, it would probably be the last chance at a major finals for the likes of Cullen and Robinson who would be well into their 30s by that point.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ok good.

I was seeing stuff like Balls.ie and Inside World Football and not sure how much to trust them.

Germany, hosting Euro 2024, have 10 venues, but that's for 24 teams. Maybe a couple of extra stadiums needed if it is expanded to 32 teams?

Landsdowne Road is the only stadium that has the necessary capacity of 30,000+. Not even Windsor would get to host a game. But maybe with 32 teams, which means some weaker teams, the capacity could be reduced a little?

And, from that Guardian article, to answer a question from earlier in the thread, 'The five nations would not automatically qualify for the tournament because Uefa grants that privilege only when a maximum of two countries are chosen as hosts.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Are there any further details on the bid itself? The chosen stadia?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I think it's a done deal, but typical that the time we finally get to host, we still have to qualify. With it being a 32 team tournament and with a decent group of players coming through hopefully qualification will be straightforward, but it would have been nice to auto qualify.
    a 32 team tournament is simply ridiculous.
    little or no qualification excitement. one of the most stupid ideas in sport ever I would suggest

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Dan McDonnell reporting that there would be two Irish stadiums used. Lansdowne and Croke Park. So probably about 10 games in Dublin.

That doesn't include any NI involvement, but when it comes down to it I doubt they'll host any games up there, they have no suitable stadium.

Is 32 teams too many? Not sure, once you go to 24 it's probably as well to just go the whole hog and have 32. It devalues qualification a bit, but at the same time it's not absolutely guaranteed that a country like Ireland would qualify - still a bit for us to do. The big nations will stroll in, but they already do for a 24 team Euros anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    a 32 team tournament is simply ridiculous.
    little or no qualification excitement. one of the most stupid ideas in sport ever I would suggest
    I was thinking I didn't remember about it going to 32.

That's a ridiculous amount alright. There's going to be a lot of very average teams, probably playing quite defensively against better sides. Sounds like it can only compromise on quality that bit too much

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Could they add enough capacity to Windsor Park in six years to get it to meet the criteria? Or argue UEFA to reduce it? The latter probably more likely. I presume the IFA must have been promised something.

As for us, well I suppose ten-ish games in Dublin isn't anything to sniff at. It would be nice if we had the infrastructure to have games outside of Dublin, but wish in one hand, etc.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Training camps etc. in NI I think if they can't host games. Neither Windsor or Ravenhill are big enough to host and I can't see either being upgraded for this.

Obviously there's the potential Casement redevelopment also, but there's a whole host of political issues to overcome there and that's if it even happens.

Most likely they'll be on the official branding etc as hosts, but will only host training camps and team bases etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Training camps etc. in NI I think if they can't host games. Neither Windsor or Ravenhill are big enough to host and I can't see either being upgraded for this.

Obviously there's the potential Casement redevelopment also, but there's a whole host of political issues to overcome there and that's if it even happens.

Most likely they'll be on the official branding etc as hosts, but will only host training camps and team bases etc.

I think politically it will be very difficult to leave NI out of hosting games if we are involved. Can you imagine the outcry ? I imag8ne they’ll do whatever they have to to ensure that the North has. Stadium, whether that means Casement, or developing Windsor .
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I think politically it will be very difficult to leave NI out of hosting games if we are involved. Can you imagine the outcry ? I imag8ne they’ll do whatever they have to to ensure that the North has. Stadium, whether that means Casement, or developing Windsor .
    I agree that there would be savage bitterness if they were omitted. It is hard to see how it happens though. I think UEFA requires seating capacity of 35k or thereabouts, not including media spots (there's additional requirements for parking and security too). Windsor capacity is currently around 20k so you'd have to double it to get to 35k... and its a pity as Windsor is a lovely, compact stadium. Casement is pretty much standing only (unless it has been developed since i last took an interest) so would need some significant investment too (not to mention the "Casement" name ). Is Ravenhill a viable option? I'm struggling to come up with other options up there.

I suppose if the will is there it can happen - but these things also take time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Can only assume Casement is the only option. The planning permission was granted for its redevelopment at the end of last year.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60838824

There are currently no stadia in Northern Ireland that meet the competition's minimum capacity requirement of 30,000 for hosting matches and, with Windsor Park's capacity being 18,500, it would appear all hopes hinge on the redevelopment of Casement Park.

Planning permission for the 34,500-capacity stadium in west Belfast was granted in July, with a desired completion date of summer 2024, but the project will be the subject of a judicial review in March following a challenge by a local residents' group.

Irish FA chief executive Patrick Nelson last month stated his desire to see Northern Ireland play a full part in hosting the tournament.

As his squad assembled ahead of friendlies away to Luxembourg and at home to Hungary on Friday and Monday, Northern Ireland boss Baraclough called on "the relevant people" to ensure that happens.

"Northern Ireland have to be a part of that so we will be encouraging the relevant people to make sure that we are in the shake-up when it comes to hosting games here," he said.

"We have got the infrastructure and we have also got the chance to build on that infrastructure, and I think we have to take that chance.

"We don't want to be the only nation that doesn't host a game during that tournament.

"Yes, we can have countries here as part of their warm-up games or their training camps, but we don't want to be doing that, we want to be hosting games. We want to play a major part in that."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    What they want and what they get are likely to be two different things. And in some respects they only have themselves to blame.

Let's say Casement does get redeveloped in time and then NI qualify. GSTQ blaring out in Casement at the 2028 Euros? I just can't see it being a runner.

26. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    What they want and what they get are likely to be two different things. And in some respects they only have themselves to blame.

Let's say Casement does get redeveloped in time and then NI qualify. GSTQ blaring out in Casement at the 2028 Euros? I just can't see it being a runner.
    GSTQ Sweet jesus talk about alienating 45% of the population.

Create your own song FFS.

Re the competition. I would way prefer to do a proper joint bid with someone like Portugal ( both teams automatically qualify) we would do an amazing job

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast