Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Predictions list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    While we are favourites to finish last, it's not true we've added no new players. We've added five.
    Would any of them be expected to start? Maybe I should have said they signed nobody of note. Those signings seemed like lads for the u-19 team.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    They're definitely not for the 19s. Last year we signed four players and two - Todd and Brennan - were key players right from the start of the season. The others - Higgins and Lennon - were in and around the first-team most of the season but made less impact. If the current five can make a similar impact, then we'll definitely be stronger. Whether that means we'll actually be strong, of course, is another question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    I'd say there is near a big gap between the Premier and First as there is between the very best u-19 and First. Asking players from the u-19 to be straight away big part of a premier division team is a big ask even for the best ex u-19 players in the league.

Only two other teams are not roughly full-time, and they both have a lot premier experience. It could be bit of a disaster for UCD really (esp if Whelan and Kerrigan go mid-way).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Don't agree with that - we've been up the top of the First all our recent FD seasons (09/15/16/17/18/20/21) and U19s coming through have been a big part of that. Other clubs have brought academy players through as well - thinking Bohs and Sligo in particular. A couple of these guys already have first-team experience too (per the transfers thread). They seem very standard UCD signings, and we're well-known for finding random players who turn out to be quite decent. Our problem typically is no experienced players to add a bit of physicality and to help with the demands of an extra nine league games.

But the LoI is the youngest league in Europe, so there can't really be much of an issue with U19s coming through.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 07/02/2022 at 2:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    1. Rovers

2. Derry

3. Pats
    4. Bohs
    5. Dundalk

6. Sligo

7. Shels
    8. Harps
    9. Drogs
    10. UCD

Think it'll be fragmented into something like that. Rovers will walk it for me, but Derry have signed well and have enough consistent quality throughout the squad to put up a fleeting challenge and be clear of the rest. I'm worried about our lack of depth in midfield but Bohs and Dundalk possibly have bigger gaps in terms of the starting XIs than us which could drop more points over the course of the season. Had a flick through the squads of the remaining teams and was surprised by how tough it is to call on paper, not a huge amount in the difference for the most part.

Cup: Derry
    Top scorer: Eoin Doyle
    First manager gone: Duff

1. Waterford
    2. Galway
    3. Cork
    4. Bray
    5. Treaty
    6. Longford
    7. Wexford
    8. Athlone
    9. Cobh

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Interesting in relation to this conversation that there appears to be no problem with 19 year olds being brought in on loan. Hopefully it will be a very competitive season and all the young players do well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I'd say there's a few squads out there still to complete their signings, so just my two cents so far. Could change opinion leading up to kick-off.

Premier Division:

1. Shamrock Rovers - see no reason why they can't build on their success from last season. I do feel like they probably should have been replacing Alan Mannus, and gone a bit stronger on a goalscorer, but otherwise they've quality over the pitch.

2. St Pat's - Jaros will be a loss, no idea how the new keeper will shape up, but otherwise they've strengthened well. They should have more than enough in attack to make up for any defensive frailties they might have.

3. Derry - They've added some experience in there, not convinced they'll get a fully fit Patrick McEleney again, but Michael Duffy and Matty Smith are good signings in there. Not convinced they'll be as strong as people expect, but should have enough to be better than the rest of the chasing pack.

4. Dundalk - They've signed okay. Kept a couple of key squad members. I think they'll be alright. Toss up between three or four sides for fourth place, and there's still enough experience in the Dundalk side to see them over the line this year.

5. Bohs - Lost a lot of quality in the off-season, but still have a decent squad. Ryan Cassidy could be a big addition there. Fairly young looking side though, might lack a bit of experience in the dressing room. Could just as easily have a horror season, and a lot could depend on holding onto the likes of Devoy in the summer.

6. Finn Harps - Sticking my head on the line, but I am quietly confident. Lost a lot of players, but there's none that haven't really been replaced. Again going out on a limb, but suggest José Carrillo could well prove to be the signing of the season. A lot rests on Héry, McNamee and Connolly doing the business in midfield, and Mahdy finding his UCD form again. Lot of foreign imports, but been impressed with what I've seen of them so far.

7. Sligo Rovers - Not convinced by them. They've still got one of the top goalkeepers in the league in McGinty, and done well to hold onto him, but for me, could struggle this season. They're going to struggle for goals, not sure Keena is the man to provide them. Lacking depth, and Buckley could find himself under pressure fairly sharpish if things don't start well. Mid-season transfer window could save them from a horror season.

8. Shelbourne - Signed some decent players, Coyle and Dervin are good options in the middle, but again I feel another side that lacks a goalscoring threat. Sean Boyd is a great lad, but won't bag 15 goals. I don't really rate Dan Carr either. Question marks over Duffer and his willingness to hang around if things start going south. Certainly going to be an interesting season in Tolka.

9. Drogheda - Another side who lost a lot of quality, and I don't think they've really replaced them. Sean Roughan is a quality young footballer, but it's a tough gig for an 18 year old kid to walk into. There's experience in the dressing room though, probably enough to see them stay off the bottom. Cowan, Deegan, Foley and Massey are all leaders on a pitch and could prove crucial.

10. UCD - They've some cracking young players, and with it looking like Colm Whelan and Liam Kerrigan are hanging around to the summer at least, they've got a fighting chance. Sam Todd has Premier Division experience in the backline, a big player for them this year, but like Longford last season, were fortunate to come through the playoff against a Waterford side who capitulated, and would fear a similar fate to what Longford suffered last season.

First Division:

Haven't looked through the squads too in depth just yet, but based off what I've seen, it looks very tight from top to bottom, except for Waterford who will probably walk away with it:

1: Waterford

Big Gap

2: Galway
    3: Bray
    4: Cork
    5: Wexford
    6: Treaty
    7: Longford
    8: Cobh
    9: Athlone

FAI CUP: Shamrock Rovers
    Top Scorer: Eoin Doyle
    First Manager Gone: Liam Buckley
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    10. UCD - They've some cracking young players, and with it looking like Colm Whelan and Liam Kerrigan are hanging around to the summer at least, they've got a fighting chance. Sam Todd has Premier Division experience in the backline, a big player for them this year, but like Longford last season, were fortunate to come through the playoff against a Waterford side who capitulated, and would fear a similar fate to what Longford suffered last season.
    I think while again acknowledging that we have to be favourites to come last, we were very unlucky to lose to Waterford in the FAI Cup quarter-final in September when they weren't capitulating (they were in the middle of a run of 11 wins in 16 games). Whelan missed a penalty and Waterford won it with the last kick. We also beat Longford and Shels in that run. The Longford comparison came to mind three months ago (see the playoff final thread for proof ) but pre-season has gone a lot better than usual and even Kerrigan is apparently contracted for the full season. I'd be hopeful of being more competitive than Longford at least!

As an aside, I'm surprised at how high Dundalk are being ranked. They probably won't start as badly as last year, but they were as close to the playoffs as to Europe last year (only six points, admittedly) and I think they're weaker than last year. Time will tell though I guess. Though with Bohs and Sligo also looking weaker, this could be a very strange season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    UCD will need whelan and kerrigan to go supernova which tbf they are capable of. their squad is weaker than 2019 on the whole for me. id be surprised to see both whelan and kerrigan finish the season with them as there will undoubtedly be big interest in them over the summer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Premier Division

1 Shams
    2 Pats
    3 Derry
    4 Bohs
    5 Dundalk
    6 Shels
    7 Sligo
    8 Harps
    9 UCD
    10 Drogs

First Division
    1 Galway
    2 Waterford
    3 Cork
    4 Longford
    5 Bray
    6 Wexford
    7 Treaty
    8 Cobh
    9 Athlone

FAI Cup-Pats
    Top Scorer- Mandroiu
    First Manager to leave- Russell in Athlone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    UCD will need whelan and kerrigan to go supernova which tbf they are capable of. their squad is weaker than 2019 on the whole for me. id be surprised to see both whelan and kerrigan finish the season with them as there will undoubtedly be big interest in them over the summer
    Yeah, probably fair. The fact that other sides are weaker than 2019 may counter that a bit though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Yeah, probably fair. The fact that other sides are weaker than 2019 may counter that a bit though.
    I think, honestly, the Premier is probably stronger now than it was in 2019, and more evenly spread.

As for Dundalk, I put a lot of their problems last season down to the off-field madness, and with a more solid base to start from this season, they'll not have the same relegation fears.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    It's certainly more evenly spread. I just look at Bohs, Sligo and Dundalk in particular and I don't see the quality that was there in recent years; they've lost a lot of players in pre-season. Drogheda too I guess.

Of course with any LoI team you don't know who's coming through and that'll impact things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts

As an aside, I'm surprised at how high Dundalk are being ranked. They probably won't start as badly as last year, but they were as close to the playoffs as to Europe last year (only six points, admittedly) and I think they're weaker than last year. Time will tell though I guess. Though with Bohs and Sligo also looking weaker, this could be a very strange season.
    I think and as FH1954 mentioned below, a huge amount of 2021 was indeed down to off field madness, that had to have effected players, in no particular order Filippo sacked, Shane Keegan as 'manager', Magilton falling out / slagging off the squad, Magilton as manager, Perth coming back and some senior players not wanting him, Shields leaving, Abibi in goals, constant P6 interference, key staff leaving including admin, licencing guys, club sectary, madness signings, Sonni, Han, Zahibo, need I go on? The takeover links during the summer, yet up to 2 games to go were still in with shout at 4th with some snookers required. A mental season.

I think 4th will be abs our highest btw but one thing we will have in 2022 is stability, well run, local owners, admin and licencing guys, secretary all back, same for the Connollys from the old ownership, squad absolutely not as strong, MF I mentioned in my predictions as a worry, but still a good spine in Boyle, Connolly from Dundee U, Benson, Sloggett, Hoban, but for sure unknowns over other key positions, but give me UK and Irish lads over the b/s that P6 'recruited'. Plus a management team that everyone is behind.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    For Dundalk, and there is probably less talent in the squad, but better feelings around the club and a better manager (at least than Flippo/Magilton/Perth). Duffy and Murray are big losses, and to an extent Stanton as well (although Benson is a similar type of player to Murray so it softens the blow)(the rest that left are ok). Boyle and Hoban are still two of the best players in the league, and Connolly is coming in with a lot of experience, and I hope is an upgrade on Cleary (who went back-ways when Kenny left). So it should be as solid center back pair as there is in the league, and the most proven goalscorer.

The rest, there are a heap of questions about. The policy seems pretty clear to focus on young British lads from decent football clubs trying to get a break in senior. Its a young team, but at least there is still some LOI exerience. Another risk at GK, but really there was no other option. There might be a bit of a lack of physicality and experience in the center of the park (if Slogget can get anyway decent consistant performances, it will be a big help). A center midfield of at least Slogget-Doyle-Benson isnt too bad, and is competitive (although that probably wont be the starting midfield). I would rather better options at RB than Mountney and Bone, but at least they are at a somewhat LOI standard, but their looks to be the biggest weak point for Dundalk. Adams and Williams seem to be good, and at least they start for Wales u-21s, but there is always a jump to senior football, so who knows what standard they are. Martin had good moments for Waterford last year.

So for me, if Sheppard is good in goals, things should fall into place and we will be a solid outfit and fairly competitve. If not (and the other British players are like are foreign players last year)... we can be a very medicore team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Was there not question marks over Boyle's form since he came back?

But I think that's a reasonable summary of it though - I don't expect the fun of last year but while there's absolutely some good players there, I don't see enough for a good team. And if, say, Hoban is injured, is there a replacement? McMillan struggled last year for some reason; not sure is it age (though he's only 33) or what.

And of course you can play the "what if" injury game with lots of clubs.

And yeah, there's unknowns there for sure and it's easy to wonder if recruitment will be as bad as last year. Bohs and Sligo seem to have the better academy structure and at least with underage players you know what you've got. I think you're right that Sheppard is a key player for ye this season, one way or another

I think it's going to be quite an interesting season actually; I could see someone unexpected claiming fourth. I've put Shels here but really it could be anyone bar UCD, Rovers, and maybe Drogheda (though in fairness they weren't far off last year)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 07/02/2022 at 8:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    even with the losses of duffy and the likes once dundalk have a capable loi keeper (avg at best) they'll be fine. hard to put into words how terrible abibi was, an absolute horror show of a signing. ive question marks over some of the loi lads theyve brought in but that being said i cant see them being lower than 6th or higher than 4. Bohs have great quality in attack, id worry about their defence. omichere will have a huge season this year and ive no idea how they kept onto burt, quality player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Was there not question marks over Boyle's form since he came back?

But I think that's a reasonable summary of it though - I don't expect the fun of last year but while there's absolutely some good players there, I don't see enough for a good team. And if, say, Hoban is injured, is there a replacement? McMillan struggled last year for some reason; not sure is it age (though he's only 33) or what.

And of course you can play the "what if" injury game with lots of clubs.

And yeah, there's unknowns there for sure and it's easy to wonder if recruitment will be as bad as last year. Bohs and Sligo seem to have the better academy structure and at least with underage players you know what you've got. I think you're right that Sheppard is a key player for ye this season, one way or another

I think it's going to be quite an interesting season actually; I could see someone unexpected claiming fourth. I've put Shels here but really it could be anyone bar UCD, Rovers, and maybe Drogheda (though in fairness they weren't far off last year)
    Boyle was the best defender Dundalk had by a long way, esp when Cherrie came in. It is hard for any defence players to look good with poor Abbibi behind them. McMilian is as good of a striker on the bench as anyone else has on the bench. But you are right, Dundalk lose Boyle and Hoban, the team is just all question marks, and it might get rough. Its not the depth we use to have, or needed for season long consistency. But you could also say the same about Doyle for Pats or Devoy for Bohs tho. Both teams just lost the spines of their teams, and also had to bring in a lot of players. Teams look very different without those type of players. Owolabi might have been good for Harps, will he be as good for Pats? Junior was league top scorer before he went to Dundalk, and was terrible.

Really , there are so many questions about all teams outside of Rovers and maybe Derry. All high ceilings and low floors this year. Huge changes across the league with young teams everywhere, and nothing is garunteed from 2nd-9th.

Although, I dont know why you are saying so much about Dundalks academy structure when u19 players Mayowa Animasahun and O'Kane should be further promoted this year. Plus Mark Hanratty just signed a professional contract. I would expect to the first two to get a chunk of game time this year. Ebuka Kwelele also played senior football last year, and is an option. We might not be as comeptitive at underage as senior, but there is some depth to the team from our u-19s.

Also last year Dundalk u-19 player who was out on loan Andrew Quinn will be at Drogheda, with ex Dundalk u-19 Odumosu just leaving them. Its not a disaster like is being pointed out.

To answer JD, Bone and Mountney give fair amount of cover across different positions, hence probably why they were signed. The real strange signing is Keith Ward, seems very unneeded.
    Last edited by Kiki Balboa; 07/02/2022 at 9:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post

Although, I dont know why you are saying so much about Dundalks academy structure when u19 players Mayowa Animasahun and O'Kane should be further promoted this year. Plus Mark Hanratty just signed a professional contract. I would expect to the first two to get a chunk of game time this year. Ebuka Kwelele also played senior football last year, and is an option. We might not be as comeptitive at underage as senior, but there is some depth to the team from our u-19s.

Also last year Dundalk u-19 player who was out on loan Andrew Quinn will be at Drogheda, with ex Dundalk u-19 Odumosu just leaving them. Its not a disaster like is being pointed out.
    Maybe not a disaster, but given Dundalk didn't even reach the Championship section of the 19s last season while Rovers, Pat's, Bohs and Sligo contested the last two finals, have all won it in recent years and were the top three last season, I know where I'd be looking for underage players from. I think that'll be a factor this year with a number of clubs losing key players.

That guys have been promoted to the first team doesn't mean they're necessarily any good.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    1. Rovers - If jack is the player he was pre his covid and back issues I don't see us being caught this year at least. Derry will lead for a while though until injuries take their toll.

2. Derry - they should be able to turn the Brandywell into a bit of a fortress with the local lads and buzz about the place. Suppose that could go the other way with the pressure getting to them but I thought they'd do well under Higgins even without the signings they've made so....they could really challenge.

3. Pats - they may have an even better manager now than before...and I rate O'Donnell. Doyle is a phenomenal signing. Just think Benson and Desmond are huge losses.

4. Dundalk - got rid of the ****e. Added Benson and kept Hoban. They'll be strong enough for me even without Duffy.

5. Sligo - have enough about the place to not fall into the dogfight but losing Mahon and Kenny is huge

I think it will be close between the rest with a lot of movement but.....I'll go with:

6. Bohs - Kelly kept them out of the relegation battle last year and I think they'll figured out a way to do it again but will have to spread the goals out a bit. Big year for Devoy.

7. Shels

8. Drogs

9. UCD - Whelans goals to have them in the race for Europe while those around them struggle to find the net.... until he leaves to join Rovers and pushes us over the edge in a battle with Derry. UCD to slide from there but just about stay above the bottom.

10. Harps - probably not but the signings are risky and they lost some good players. Coyle in particular was really impressive and Hery ain't no replacement.

Top scorer - Doyle
    Cup - Pats
    First manager gone - Higgins.....to replace whoever replaces Barry for Ireland when the replacement inevitably leaves in 6 months.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast